Strings.... Quality down... what to do? (Advice please)

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,

Disclaimer - Some of you are going to think I'm an idiot after this, but here goes;

When I buy a guitar, I find out what the original strings fitted to it were, and buy 10 or 20 sets of them, and put them away. When it comes time to change strings, I grab a new set, destring, clean the guitar, then replace them. When stocks get down, I buy another ten sets or so. My logic is that the manufacturer know whet they are doing, and will put on what best suits the instrument.
As an example, A Telecaster gets fender branded strings identical to what was fitted by the factory the year that guitar was made... Strat, the same - fender strings that were fitted at the factory that year, Les paul - The same Gibson strings that were fitted at the factory. I thought I was so smart, but tell you what - the quality of these brands of strings has turned to shit. I think it's time to survey the options and move away from 'Brand X, manufactured at the lowest price possible, branded for the instrument maker' strings.

To celebrate the new firmware today, (Thanks @FractalAudio !), I grabbed a Les Paul, that was restrung last week, and started playing.. Half way through song 1, the E string went way flat ... like WAY flat... I tried to tune it back up... turns out the (ball) end winding had let go, and the string was just unravelling as I tried to tune it up. The last set was pretty dodgy in quality and broke too soon (Nope it's not the guitar). So that's the last couple of sets of Gibson strings. About 1/4 of the Fender sets I get have corrosion on the strings so if I get one of them, I throw the set out, and grab another, hoping it'll be good this time.....

So ... Advice please - Is there a string brand/model that is consistent in quality, and remains so over the years? I like bright sounding strings if that makes a difference. I don't care about cost or advertising - Just quality and consistency. I want to know that if I grab a new set of strings out of the bag, it'll be in perfect new condition, and the quality will be consistently good. As long as I can find identical gauges to what was intended for my guitars. I think it's time to change brands.

Thanks
Pauly

I think you might be giving the manufacturer too much credit ;)

I'd bet that Fender probably uses Fender strings, for obvious reasons.

Others probably use what they get at a good price/performance break.

I've been using Fender XL strings for at least 10+ years and haven't noticed any quality issues during that time.

Thanks for all the advice fellas - Keep'em'coming...
It's been one of those days - Shitty at work... Knock off, update firmware and start to play - Busted string...fix that... sorta bummed so dont feel like playing... Jump into Cubase and open a really old nuendo project, and spend an hour or so messing with the tracks to make it sound ok.... get it to a point where i think it's sounding good, then Cubase hangs and I lose the lot.
Hope my fucking Dog and Wife are still there..

Thanks
Pauly

I used GHS for a long time when I was touring, then switched to Ernie Ball and then became a loyal user of D'Addario strings (never loved Elixir). Recently I met (at NAMM even if we were both from Italy) the CEO of Dogal Strings and... I switched to this "boutique" brand and I think I've never tested anything better: plenty of choice (gauges and, most of all, material), durable and the best clarity in the sound (that's what I always look for now that I work only in studio). I know that they aren't so easy to find but they are getting in more and more shops around the world so it's worth to check it out (https://www.dogalstrings.it/en/guitar)

Interesting approach! I defo think you're giving too much credit to the manufacturers though - for all reasons stated above.

I've been using D'Adarrio EXL120s for nearly 30 years now and am just used to their feel and tone, which I love. Any new guitar gets strings off, full set up ( I do my own ), fret polish, fingerboard oiled and then restrung with the EXLs. I think you have to go with whatever feels best for you - gauge and brand. That's it!

I use one or two brands for all of my guitars. I use Curt Mangan nickel wound strings and have been extremely pleased with their consistency of tone, durability and longevity for the past 3-4 years. I used Dean Markley Blue Steels for over a decade before that but noticed a drop in QC which led to a search for a different brand of strings. I also have a few packs of Rotosound Roto nickel wounds around for my 'cheap' strings that I use after working on a guitar for the initial setup. I haven't had any issues with them either and they sound similar to the Curt Mangans.

Back in the days, when I used to work in a music store, I tried all kinds of strings and finally stuck with D'Addario.
Very consistent, affordable and lots of strings to make custom sets if you're into different tunings and want to keep the tension in the same ballpark using their tension charts.

Thanks for all the replies - Love this forum!
I just ordered a 3 pack of nyxl 1046 for the les Paul. If, after using a few sets I like them, I’ll stock up on them in all the gauges I need. At least something went well today!

Pauly

Yes you may be right - it’s one of my personality flaws. I expect others words to carry the same weight as mine.
I’m gonna try the nyxl and see how they go.

Thanks
Pauly

I think you might be giving the manufacturer too much credit ;)

I'd bet that Fender probably uses Fender strings, for obvious reasons.

Others probably use what they get at a good price/performance break.

I've been using Fender XL strings for at least 10+ years and haven't noticed any quality issues during that time.

Yup, absolutely. As I was just telling Unix-guy, I am way too trusting. Nowadays that’s very unwise… maybe it always has been! I’ve ordered some nyxls and will see how they go.

Thanks
Pauly

I think you are giving their sales and advertising departments too much credit, or trust.

I use the D’Addario NYXL and Ernie Ball Paradigm strings and have had no problems. Check Amazon for packs.

Hi Haubman
I’m in Australia - it’s hard enough to get a reliable source of Gibson stings here! I’ve ordered some nyxl strings and will see how they go.
Thanks
Pauly

For me, SIT strings have been my go-to strings for years. The feel, tone, and durability stay consistent.

Thanks Skolacki,
I’ve ordered some nyxls so hopefully I’ll be sorted!
Thanks
Pauly

I like the normal Daddario strings. Those or Ernie Balls.

I recently tried the Elixer coated strings. Turned out to be a waste of money. Don’t buy those.

Hi Diego,

Being in Australia, boutique brands are off my list as it’s just too unreliable to get them. I have used ghs many years ago, and remember them being ok. I’ve gone with the consensus and ordered some nyxls. Hoping they’re good!
Thanks
Pauly

I used GHS for a long time when I was touring, then switched to Ernie Ball and then became a loyal user of D'Addario strings (never loved Elixir). Recently I met (at NAMM even if we were both from Italy) the CEO of Dogal Strings and... I switched to this "boutique" brand and I think I've never tested anything better: plenty of choice (gauges and, most of all, material), durable and the best clarity in the sound (that's what I always look for now that I work only in studio). I know that they aren't so easy to find but they are getting in more and more shops around the world so it's worth to check it out (https://www.dogalstrings.it/en/guitar)

Hi zenrigs man.

Yeah, a pretty conservative approach eh! Up until the last few years it’s always been consistent but unfortunately the constant need to do more with less (the instrument manufacturers) seems to have affected the quality of some items. I’ve ordered nyxls and am looking forward to seeing how they go.

Thanks
Pauly

Interesting approach! I defo think you're giving too much credit to the manufacturers though - for all reasons stated above.

I've been using D'Adarrio EXL120s for nearly 30 years now and am just used to their feel and tone, which I love. Any new guitar gets strings off, full set up ( I do my own ), fret polish, fingerboard oiled and then restrung with the EXLs. I think you have to go with whatever feels best for you - gauge and brand. That's it!

Back
Top Bottom