Strings & corrosion

sb-SG

Inspired
Anybody here had a bad experience with standard D'addario's seemingly spontaneously corroding after just a few weeks use? the 3 plain strings in a patch on top of the neck HB (where I didn't think I payed!) First set I've used that came on a new guitar that I specified a 009-046 D'addario set for. Always used EB Super Slinkys before this and not had this happen before. It's definitely not been splashed and I don't sweat so much but rarely wipe the strings... Just surprised by how quick they have got to this state. In fairness I'm that obsessed with the guitar it has been played daily since delivery.
If it's the strings then are XS likely to be better? Or do I just head on back to EB's?

Are they genuine D'addario's? Lot's of fakes being sold. I was a long time user but switched to EBs.
Have to assume they are genuine - they were factory fitted by the maker and they aren't the sort of manufacturer that would take a short cut.
I have a set of XS that I bought from Amazon that I intend to try next - fancy retail packaging - look genuine but....

Have to assume they are genuine - they were factory fitted by the maker and they aren't the sort of manufacturer that would take a short cut.
I have a set of XS that I bought from Amazon that I intend to try next - fancy retail packaging - look genuine but....
Worth checking the code on the packet on the D'addario 'Play Real' website. Last batch i bought off Ebay all had the same code number, all fake.

^ difficult to get focus on strings vs pole pieces ... To be clear the corroded ones are not XS
The Amazon supplied XS strings pictured below.

Worth checking the code on the packet on the D'addario 'Play Real' website. Last batch i bought off Ebay all had the same code number, all fake.
aside - your name nothing to do with the late guitarist - my life long inspiration at that.... Probably just from NE UK?

There are a lot of fake strings around with near perfect packaging. I would say that is your problem . Find a company to buy from and email the manufacturer or distributer to make sure they are legitimate. Then alway buy from them. A lot of Amazon and eBay strings are fake. Half the tuning and intonation problems I see are down to this. It has got a lot more common as the quality of the appearance of the fakes has improved.

There are a lot of fake strings around with near perfect packaging. I would say that is your problem . Find a company to buy from and email the manufacturer or distributer to make sure they are legitimate. Then alway buy from them. A lot of Amazon and eBay strings are fake. Half the tuning and intonation problems I see are down to this. It has got a lot more common as the quality of the appearance of the fakes has improved.
even Aristides?!? These strings shipped on my T/0 build - I requested brand/size.

The Amazon ones above look suspect?

Well appreciate that fakes could really screw over how a guitar plays....

Ebay is awash with fake Ernie Balls.
tempImageNbCLjS.jpg
One customer sent me these. They won't stay in tune and sound terrible but even the strings themselves look correct in colour and the wind on the ball end is the same as real ones.

I did contact D'addario C/S to report the fakes but also to ask what they pro-actively do to monitor and prevent the sale of them particularly on Ebay and Amazon. Whilst they did say they had a small counterfeit dept, they were basically not interested and there was little they could do to stop them.

Thanks both - didn't know about the D'addario check facility.
Seems highly unlikely Aristides screwed up and maybe I just sweat like Alien...
I'll see how the (confirmed genuine) XS strings last.

Had an old friend who, as part of his stage act used to spray the living daylights of his partscaster fretboard with WD40, guitar was junk but his strings lasted months lol.

I am using NYXL that have a genuine code. They start to deteriorate after a couple of weeks, even though I clean them with Dunlop Ultraglide 65 Blue Bottle String Cleaner & Conditioner after every use. I suspect it must be my hands, even though I do not sweat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom