String gauge change in sound.

nickxmix

Inspired
I'm looking seriously into buying the AXE-FX II. Just wondering how big a difference in sound change there is between string gauges e.g. (10-46) to (9-42) as far as fullness/richness of sound. Volume wise can be compensated for. I just don't want to lose to much impact in sound in changing to a thinner string gauge. Or have change a lot of patch settings.
Thanks Nick H.

Thinner strings have a brighter tone w
hile thicker strings have a bigger tone. It really varies from manufacturer if you can tell the difference. Is say Pick a gauge you're most comfortable with and stick with those. Pickups and guitar wood will affect your tone more than different syringe gauges. Also pick thickness will help the tone a bit.

Last edited:
I think the tone change with different gauge strings translates to any amp or modeler that reproduces the guitar well. Also the type of gain and effects will make a difference. I notice a bigger tone with 10's than 9's with just about everything I've played through. Definitely notice a difference with the axe and string gauges.

That's why I use custom gauge .009-.046

Best of both world.

Easier to play in the 3 first strings, bigger sound in the 3 last strings.

Last edited:
That is where so many guitarists (including me) fail at a good Stevie Ray tone. He used insanely heavy gauge strings, for me at least. .13's!

I used to do the light top heavy bottom thing too. Finally I just said screw it and went back to my .09s.

Thicker gauges will have more sustain and tone (body). Lots of session players go thicker for recording. 11 gauge is not unusual for studio guitars.

The tonal difference between string gauges will be no different with the Axe-FX than with analog gear. If you hear a difference that you perceive as a bad thing after the string switch, it is easier to remedy it in the Axe-FX as you have plenty of tools at hand.

D

I'm looking seriously into buying the AXE-FX II. Just wondering how big a difference in sound change there is between string gauges e.g. (10-46) to (9-42) as far as fullness/richness of sound. Volume wise can be compensated for. I just don't want to lose to much impact in sound in changing to a thinner string gauge. Or have change a lot of patch settings.
Thanks Nick H.

the switch from 9s to 10s isn't as big as you might suspect.
If you want a heavier tone and more sustain go straight to 11s.
They're a bitch to play for the first weeks, tho.

edit:
whoops, got it backwards...
that syringe thing distracted me ;)

like I said, not that big a deal. I play 9s for a couple of yours now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom