String Choice: Ernie Ball or D'addario?

Most of the string wire is all from the same producer. There are really only a few wire manufacturing plants around these days and in fact most of the strings are all made in a very similar way - talking about your standard set of 10s. There is some "minor" drift on this but all in all they are about the same. It is very hard to compare one Co. to another because you have some many factors involved from when the wire was produced, how long it sits and when it is actually produced and packaged and then retailed. Esp with Amazon selling strings - how long do they sit in these mega facilities. Most of the time if you break a lot of strings it point to one "main" issue. Your saddle has something going on - a burr or something. Bend can cause a wire to snap esp if you are doing Vai kinds of bends. If your guitars sit on a wall for 6 months it is the same as if you play three gigs on a set...new or not you will need to replace them. The big companies make almost of the strings you buy....some nuances but all in all not too much.

I'm a Paradigm 10 - 46 or NYXL 10 - 46, both seem to last forever and I've never broken a string from either of them.

Most of the time if you break a lot of strings it point to one "main" issue. Your saddle has something going on - a burr or something.

My dad was a machinist and had a magnificent set of Nicholson ultra-fine files which I've used to correct chronic broken string issues for many guitar players over the years. It's almost a sure thing that if you consistently break strings, especially at the same place (ie: bridge saddle), a few seconds with the appropriate file will cure that forever.

My dad was a machinist and had a magnificent set of Nicholson ultra-fine files which I've used to correct chronic broken string issues for many guitar players over the years. It's almost a sure thing that if you consistently break strings, especially at the same place (ie: bridge saddle), a few seconds with the appropriate file will cure that forever.
Yup

When I posted this, I kind of had the belief there were inherent differences between the two brands. But after looking at all the various types of construction within each manufacturer's product line, I now think one could find a string that does what they want from either brand.
Plus, I don't agree with the general statements like, EB's last longer, or D'addario's are brighter. That's like saying Gibson's aren't good for X type of music.

His tone sounds bad in that video.

I used to play Heavy Cores when I had a 7 string, and for me Dunlops were by far the best I found for low B tone, after having gone through

DR Hi-Beams and Tite-Fit

La Bella HRS

Circle K

D'Addario Nickle-Plated

Dean Markley

DR DDT

But the Dunlop Heavy Core 7 NPS were just perfect.

I always put Gibson strings on my les Paul.
As a result of this thread, I thought “what the hell, I’ll get some super slinky’s and try them”. So - I got 2 sets of 10 to 46, and put a set on just now. While stretching in the strings, the high e broke at the end of th wind on the ball end. Sheesh, now my 2 sets became 1 set plus 5 strings! Maybe it’s a sign. We will see.
Thanks
Pauly

Among those who have really compared them, which do you prefer, and why?

I was a D'addario player forever, but then switched to Slinky's several years ago. Don't recall why. But I had a high e string breakage problem with my Majesty, so my first try at resolving the problem was to switch back. (Didn't cure the issue though. Abrasive cord found the tiny burr.)
I've compared my new Majesty to the other one, since it has Slinkys on it from the factory, and they maybe sound a bit "edgier...?" Not totally sure.
But I'm getting close to needing to re-up my strings, so I wanted to know if any of you truly prefer one over the other. Could be due to the sound, how long they last, whatever.

And over the years I have used other brands, but just settled on these 2. Plus, a buddy of mine who sounds like he knows what he's talking about tells me there's only 3 different string makers out there, and the various brands are just packaging and sets of certain gauges. Don't know for a fact if what he tells me is true, but it sounds reasonable.

My Slinkys are all gone so not positive which ones I used to use, but iirc it was a yellow package, 10's. I think just regular Slinkys. I'm using EXL140's currently, and I'm not switching gauges. I am however thinking of stringing the 20th to C standard, if that matters, as in, would a particular brand be better suited for that?

Thoughts/suggestions/likes/dislikes?
TIA

I always put Gibson strings on my les Paul.
As a result of this thread, I thought “what the hell, I’ll get some super slinky’s and try them”. So - I got 2 sets of 10 to 46, and put a set on just now. While stretching in the strings, the high e broke at the end of th wind on the ball end. Sheesh, now my 2 sets became 1 set plus 5 strings! Maybe it’s a sign. We will see.
Thanks
Pauly
I was playing Gibson Les Paul 9-46 strings on my Strat for a while. Sounded and felt good, but were a little hard to find at the stores I frequented, so I went back to #2222 Balls....

I used Dean Markley ultra lights (9-42) for 30 years, until they disappeared off the face of the earth in around 2017.

I tried a bunch of strings and settled on EB Slinkys, until a couple of years ago when I was mistakenly sent a set of Elixer (9-42) instead of EB Slinkys (Amazon mistake).

I tried the Elixer Optiweb and was blown away. I will only use the Elixer Optiwebs now. The Elixer Nanoweb are also excellent, just don't seem to stay "new" or clanky for quite as long, for me.

The Elixer are a little more expensive, but totally worth it as you don't have to change as often.

James

Yeah that’s exactly why I’d tried the super slinky’s. Gibson strings are not easy to get here in Australia.

I was playing Gibson Les Paul 9-46 strings on my Strat for a while. Sounded and felt good, but were a little hard to find at the stores I frequented, so I went back to #2222 Balls....

Back
Top Bottom