Strat owners….

I recently purchased an Ibanez AZ224BCG with Seymour Duncan Hyperion with the dyna-MIX 9 switching system. HSS configuration and I have to say, out of the box the pickups are perfectly matched volume wise. What a great guitar for the money.

Another option is to throw in a set of Andy Timmons pickups,

The mismatch doesn't bother me. Usually my bridge P Rail is on the P90 which isn't far off the singles. The humbucker is definitely louder and if I use that I'm probably playing a song that won't use the singles anyway or playing lead where the boost is a good thing. Besides, I'm spoiled now having the FM3, and can easily change scenes to work with whatever sound I need. Started working on a preset for my HSS guitar last night.

Surely the easiest thing to do is create scenes tailored to the pickup you intend to use with that tone? That's what I do, you have one of the most capable pieces of gear at your feet, use it dude!

I have an HSS strat with Klein pickups in it, and the bridge is very bright and low output compare to most humbuckers. Even then, it’s practically a channel switch from the single coils… I think it’s one of those things you have to want from your guitar if your mixing singles with humbuckers.

My Charvel pro-mod dk24 HSS is well balanced. The single-coil pickups are Seymour Duncan SSL-6 and the humbucker SH-10B

I recently purchased an Ibanez AZ224BCG with Seymour Duncan Hyperion with the dyna-MIX 9 switching system. HSS configuration and I have to say, out of the box the pickups are perfectly matched volume wise. What a great guitar for the money.

Another option is to throw in a set of Andy Timmons pickups,

Those look sweet and made in Japan. My 1st electric was a Japan made 78 Artist. Nice guitar that I gave to my son.

My Charvel pro-mod dk24 HSS is well balanced. The single-coil pickups are Seymour Duncan SSL-6 and the humbucker SH-10B
Couple weekend ago I tried an HSH DK, and I didn't think positions 2 and 4 sounded much like a strat. FWIW, YMMV, IMO, etc.

Couple weekend ago I tried an HSH DK, and I didn't think positions 2 and 4 sounded much like a strat. FWIW, YMMV, IMO, etc.
Keep in mind he said they were "balanced" not "like a Strat" and he also mentioned the HSS. ;)

I would not imagine an HSH anything to be very Strat-like in 2/4 since both require a coil split, and I don't recall ever hearing a split coil that really sounded like a good standalone single coil.

I will say that both position 2 and 4 sound pretty good on the HSS version with position 4 being my preference aside from full neck pickup.

I'm not sure that's ever going to match a classic Strat on a 24-fret guitar since it requires relocating the neck pickup placement.

Keep in mind he said they were "balanced" not "like a Strat" and he also mentioned the HSS. ;)

I would not imagine an HSH anything to be very Strat-like in 2/4 since both require a coil split, and I don't recall ever hearing a split coil that really sounded like a good standalone single coil.

I will say that both position 2 and 4 sound pretty good on the HSS version with position 4 being my preference aside from full neck pickup.

I'm not sure that's ever going to match a classic Strat on a 24-fret guitar since it requires relocating the neck pickup placement.
Fair enough, though it makes me sad, since I suspect my ideal guitar sounds like humbuckers in neck and bridge positions, and a strat otherwise.

That's what I hoped for with the dk, but I like my EJ in those middle 3 positions much more.

I'm doing ok though, since I like neck and bridge on my EJ too, except for hum and buzz. Well, also some degree of fighting with it to have all pickups sounding full and non-screechy and not woofed out with the same amp settings, a dream I've had... Tale as old as time...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom