Strange Preset Leveling Issue (Fixed in 17.01)

Just took a look at the control switches. Interestingly in Preset 3 they were all set to "Off", and in 1 and 2 they were all set to "Last". I changed Preset 3 so that it was "Last" as well, and looked around to see if there were any filled in yellow circles on any parameter that might be getting controlled by a control switch but couldn't see any. Ran through the steps to reproduce and it's still happening.

Attachments

• Preset1ControlSwitches.PNG
    Preset1ControlSwitches.PNG
    234.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Preset2ControlSwitches.PNG
    Preset2ControlSwitches.PNG
    235.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Preset3ControlSwitches.PNG
    Preset3ControlSwitches.PNG
    235 KB · Views: 2
So I found that if I delete the Amp block from Preset 3, then I can no longer reproduce the issue. Interestingly it didn't immediately fix it. After deleting the Amp block from Preset 3, saving, then going Preset 2, Preset 1, the issue was still happening. However once I went to Preset 2 and back again to get back to 0db, from then on I could no longer reproduce it by going 3, 2, 1.

Attachments

• Preset3AmpBlock.PNG
    Preset3AmpBlock.PNG
    312.5 KB · Views: 4
with my programming-colored spectacles, it sounds like preset 3 amp block in some way caused memory corruption in the axefx...

are you able to repro with original preset 3 after doing a reset on the amp block?

Found a couple of other interesting ways to make the issue go away:
  • If I select a different amp type in Preset 3 the issue goes away. But, if I go back and reselect "Tremolo Lux" then the issue comes right back.
  • If I change Preset 2 so that it uses Amp Block 1 instead of Amp Block 2, the issue goes away. But if I change it back to Amp Block 2, the issue comes right back.

with my programming-colored spectacles, it sounds like preset 3 amp block in some way caused memory corruption in the axefx...

are you able to repro with original preset 3 after doing a reset on the amp block?
I just reset the Amp block channel by going to "Block -> Reset Channel" in Axe-Edit for all 3 presets, but that did not resolve the issue. After doing that I was still able to reproduce.

The issue is also resolved if I change Preset 2 by copying the current channel from Amp Block 2, changing the Amp Block to Amp Block 1, then pasting the channel to that Amp Block. This at least is something actionable I can work on with my current set of presets - I can look through any preset that is only using Amp Block 2, and follow the above steps to change it to Amp Block 1 instead - perhaps that will solve the issue for me. I still think it's an issue worth investigating on the Fractal side though. It seems like it's somehow related to the fact that Preset 1 uses Amp Block 1, Preset 2 uses Amp Block 2, and Preset 3 uses Amp Block 1. It's really unfortunate that it doesn't appear that anyone else can reproduce the issue.

The two users that reported results were using 17, so the problem might actually be fixed. I'm on 16.05 and will test later today.

I can repro on 16.05 using the 3 presets in the first post -- no need to load system sysex. And confirm that block reset does not fix the behavior, but using a different amp type does.

Last edited:
That's awesome, thank you! Is there anything further we should do to get the attention of the powers that be, or is this thread enough? It sounds like there's a chance that this is already fixed in 17, but just want to make sure - it's been bugging me for quite a while, and shakes my confidence in the leveling I've done across presets. I end up wondering while I'm playing shows whether the preset I'm playing has dropped in levels or not.

You should drop a line to official support and point them to this thread. There's otherwise no guarantee that anyone from FAS will actually see this.

As far as your preset leveling goes, hopefully the bug is limited in scope. Maybe just that amp type for example.

Back
Top Bottom