Strange noise when combining Axe FX with Boss FC-300

Phil

Inspired
Hello,

when I plug the axe straight in a mixing desk there is no problem, but for some gigs i use the Boss RC-300 loopstation and then I have noise.It doens't sound like a ground loop, to me it sounds like something digital.

I connect the axe fx unbalanced outs to the inputs of the RC-300 and the outputs of the RC-300 to the mixing desk.
It's not noticeable when I'm playing but between songs it's annoying.

When I put a cheap little Behringer mixer between the Axe and RC-300 the noise is gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I don’t think the outputs on the RC 300 are balanced. How far are you running the cables when you go to the mixing board?

I don’t think the outputs on the RC 300 are balanced. How far are you running the cables when you go to the mixing board?

Yes, you are correct, both the inputs and outputs are unbalanced but that should not cause problems.The cables from axe to RC-300 and RC-300 to desk are 3 m.
And as I said in the o.p. putting a small mixer between the axe and rc-300 solves the problem.

Phil.

Interesting...I guess I would try putting the RC in the effects loop of the Axe and see if it is the same.

It's a ground loop. The mixer is powered via a DC-adapter which breaks the ground loop.

I thought that a ground loop sounded low in pitch like 50 hertz here in Europe but this sounds very high in pitch.
So if this is a ground loop is there another to solve it besides putting in a mixer?

Phil.

Powerlines operate at a frequency very near the lower limit of human hearing so they're difficult to hear. What most people hear and identify as powerline noise is harmonics and other noise riding on the powerline and being modulated by it. If what you're hearing is a rather high frequency, it's more likely noise from the power supply of some nearby device that has a switching power supply. There's no standard for what that frequency has to be, but they're typically in the 8K-15K range.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

I use the DC-adapter that comes with the RC-300, could the use of an other adapter solve the problem?

Possibly. You might try just moving things around - separate them more. It's possible that whatever is sensitive to the switcher can be put out of range. The field they put out is usually fairly small, unless it's a high-current supply. Computer power supplies, for instance, are switchers with higher current ratings, and broadcast pretty good. Large wall warts and in-line snake humps (like many laptops use) can be pretty good broadcasters, too.

Back
Top Bottom