Strange noise/harmonics from reamping via the fx loop

Aceshighhhh

Inspired
I've been doing some reamp testing with an external TS808 pedal and found that I've been getting some strange harmonics when using the effects loop (input 2 & output 2).

When generating a sine wave from my DAW and reamping through the FX loop (Pedal is OFF), I'm getting these strange even/odd-order harmonics:

Original sine wave:

mMcJVqW.png

Through FX loop:

OrH31F5.png

Is it possible the signal is clipping somewhere?

The harmonics are still present even when the Output 2 level is turned down(not clipping input 2). I'm only using an FXLoop block at default settings in the preset. The harmonics are absent when reamping normally via USB.

I have the following I/O settings:

-Input 2 Mode: Left Only
-Output 2 Mode: Stereo
-USB/Digi Out Source: Output 1

My signal chain is DAW->USB->Axe Fx II->Output 2->TS808(Turned OFF)->Input2

The only other thing I can think of are the instrument cables connecting the TS808 to the Axe Fx, but I don't see how they could cause these harmonics.

Last edited:
You're overdriving the pedal. The TS808's buffers are still active even when the pedal is bypassed and you're overdriving them.

Ts808 is not true bypass, is buffered.
If you test a true bypass pedal in off position and take off the battery you will have the unaltered guitar signal (high impedance).
If you do the same with a buffered pedal you get no signal, an active circuit without current will not work. Put ond the battery again and you get a buffered signal (low impedance).
Yeah, I remember using a boss ds1 in off position between my guitar and a laptop line input for adapt impedances. Less than optimal but it works

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom