Strange noise at high volumes

RockerAlex

Inspired
Okay, first of all ... as you can see my setup is an Axe FX II (9.02) running through a Matrix GT1000FX poweramp. I've been experiencing these strange screeching? feedback after notes ring out ONLY while volumes are turned up to "gig" level, this anomaly doesn't exist when I'm playing quietly in the bedroom. I don't feel it's due to playing with far too much gain as the main patch I use (PVH6160) has its Drive at 5 and Master Volume at 4 ...

I've a lot of different things like swapping out my speaker cable, patch cable between the Axe and Matrix and obviously guitar leads and it won't go away. The only thing I can thing of is faulty pickup wiring or something I've completely overlooked and that's why I'm here asking you guys ...

And it goes away when you turn the guitar volume to 0? Does it do that with all pickups? It could be your guitar pickups. At loud volumes the coil of the pickup vibrates and starts squealing. Waxing the pickup can reduce this, altough changing pickups is a lot easier.

And it goes away when you turn the guitar volume to 0? Does it do that with all pickups? It could be your guitar pickups. At loud volumes the coil of the pickup vibrates and starts squealing. Waxing the pickup can reduce this, altough changing pickups is a lot easier.

Yep. Both my guitars have EMGs and it happens in both yes ... is this a common thing for EMGs?

What kind of speakers? FRFR speakers can squeal at high volume levels due to magnetic feedback into the guitar pickups. If so, you need to move further away or reduce volume.

What kind of speakers? FRFR speakers can squeal at high volume levels due to magnetic feedback into the guitar pickups. If so, you need to move further away or reduce volume.

Currently just V30s in a Mesa 4x12 Cliff ... perhaps I just need to move further away as you say though.

Back
Top Bottom