Strange issues switching patches with FC-12

Jono Bacon

Inspired
Hi, Folks,

Just got my FC-12 today and I am having a few issues with a ducking sound after I switch patches and an issue with what sounds like an artifact when switching from clean to distorted.

To illustrate this I recorded a quick video:

I tried this with a few different sets of monitors and have the same issues. Any suggestions how to resolve this?

UPDATE: I rebooted the Axe FX and it seems the ducking issue has gone away from the scratching sound going from clean to distorted is still a problem. Any ideas?

Last edited:
watching now. will update.

--
ok just watched. can you upload those 3 presets or whatever we were hearing? you can DM me if you don't want it out there.

the ducking thing sounds like Axe-Edit may have been open or some "load again" type situation. not sure about the loud sound - i'd have to look at the presets, but my guess is the Scene volume (in the out block?) is something other than 0. i know the Axe2 loaded that somewhat last, so might be the same thing?

i'd have to look at the presets later.

Thanks, chaps, for the quick response.

I didn't realize having Axe Edit open may cause the ducking sound. I suspect this is the case because when I tested it a second time, Axe Edit wasn't open and everything was working fine without the ducking.

As for the artifect in switching presets, thanks @chris for the suggestion. I will check that soon and report back.

By the way, on a side note. Very impressed with the FC-12 build quality and ease of configuration in Axe Edit. Unsurprisingly impressed with FAS.

A quick follow up: for the ducking issue, I do think this was because Axe Edit was open. Thanks for the tip there!

As for the sound I hear when switching from clean to distorted, I adjusted the presets in question to both be at 0db in the output block and experienced the same problem. @chris , thanks for your offer to review the patches: I sent you a private message with them.

Thanks!

Axe-Edit is never intended to be running during performance in any situation. It’s an editor.

Agreed, but I suspect some folks (such as myself!) don't realize there may be this loading issue when Axe Edit open.

I wonder if it makes sense to add a little dismissable note (such as in the footer) saying that there may be loading issues when Axe Edit is open but these issues won't occur when it is closed? Might then avoid some confusion.

Thanks,

Agreed, but I suspect some folks (such as myself!) don't realize there may be this loading issue when Axe Edit open.

I wonder if it makes sense to add a little dismissable note (such as in the footer) saying that there may be loading issues when Axe Edit is open but these issues won't occur when it is closed? Might then avoid some confusion.

Thanks,
It’s why the pause function exists on the top left.

Also I’m sorry but I can’t get to the presets today, mayyybe tonight after work which is about 12 hours.

It’s why the pause function exists on the top left.

Gotcha. Not sure this might be clear to most users though. Just a thought.

Also I’m sorry but I can’t get to the presets today, mayyybe tonight after work which is about 12 hours.

What? Are you telling me you are not going to drop everything immediately and review these patches for me? You savage. :)

Totally fine. Thanks, @chris, for all the great work and any help you you can provide!

A quick follow up: for the ducking issue, I do think this was because Axe Edit was open. Thanks for the tip there!

As for the sound I hear when switching from clean to distorted, I adjusted the presets in question to both be at 0db in the output block and experienced the same problem. @chris , thanks for your offer to review the patches: I sent you a private message with them.

Thanks!
Are you switching channels on the Amp and/or Cab block?

Edit.... I just realized that you are switching presets, not scenes.

Last edited:
You just know that someone, somewhere plans on running it during a performance. Nowhere have I read that this is not a supported scenario. Just sayin'...

This is kinda why I think it might be helpful to clarify this in Axe Edit. I suspect a lot of folks may run into this confusion.

Or...maybe I am just a muppet. :)

Nowhere have I read that this is not a supported scenario. Just sayin'...
Cliff just implied it in the quote you posted and agreed with.

it's always been an Editor. it's not called Axe-Peformance-Bigger-Screen. i know it has been stated specifically in the past. and it's why the Pause dialogue says what it says.

i don't create the gear, so if FAS wants it to be better known, they have to program it in. i can only keep saying what works in my experience, which i try to make accurate and correct.

:)
images

This is kinda why I think it might be helpful to clarify this in Axe Edit. I suspect a lot of folks may run into this confusion.

Or...maybe I am just a muppet. :)

Cliff just implied it in the quote you posted and agreed with.

He implied that he was aware of the issue and I acknowledged that has been my experience as well - it's not exactly an indication of the expected behavior for a customer. You, me, Cliff, etc. have a lot of experience with this product line and the interactions with the editors. The thread exists so it is non-obvious and undocumented behavior to at least one customer and will likely be a concern raised by others. My point was simply that other people will encounter this issue as well so I believe it's worth addressing explicitly - whether it means documenting or fixing the issue.

it's always been an Editor. it's not called Axe-Peformance-Bigger-Screen. i know it has been stated specifically in the past. and it's why the Pause dialogue says what it says.

i don't create the gear, so if FAS wants it to be better known, they have to program it in. i can only keep saying what works in my experience, which i try to make accurate and correct.

It doesn't have to mean Axe-Performance-Bigger-Screen. For instance, running Axe-Edit is a completely reasonable and very likely scenario for rehearsals. Having drop outs without knowing the cause is not confidence instilling.

He implied that he was aware of the issue and I acknowledged that has been my experience as well - it's not exactly an indication of the expected behavior for a customer. You, me, Cliff, etc. have a lot of experience with this product line and the interactions with the editors. The thread exists so it is non-obvious and undocumented behavior to at least one customer and will likely be a concern raised by others. My point was simply that other people will encounter this issue as well so I believe it's worth addressing explicitly - whether it means documenting or fixing the issue.

It doesn't have to mean Axe-Performance-Bigger-Screen. For instance, running Axe-Edit is a completely reasonable and very likely scenario for rehearsals. Having drop outs without knowing the cause is not confidence instilling.
it's up to FAS to make it clearer.

i'll stop saying it.

@Jono Bacon

i finally had time to go through your preset. the "Baron Carta" preset is the culprit.

i'm not exactly sure what is causing it, but Amp 1 set to Energyball has a burst of sound when the preset is loaded. if you reset that channel, the burst goes away. so it must be some old setting loading incorrectly or something like that.

i tried to quickly figure out what exact parameter it is, but i have no idea.

write down the important settings you've changed
reset that channel using Axe-Edit's "Reset Channel" command in the BLOCK menu
save, then go from your clean to this preset and the problem should be gone

then you'll have to change your settings back manually. maybe you can figure out what change makes the pop happen, if it comes back at all.

doing the "soft amp reset" (different amp back to the energyball) does not make the problem go away, so please follow what i suggested above.

i finally had time to go through your preset. the "Baron Carta" preset is the culprit.

@chris, thanks so much for looking into this! I had a similar suspicion, as I have not noticed that loading blip sound when switching between the other patches. I will take a look into this - thanks for your help.

Given that this may be an old setting loading incorrectly, I wonder if this is a bug. @FractalAudio, happy to send you the patch if useful.

Back
Top Bottom