Strange Axe/FC behavior

GaryB

Inspired
I had a head scratcher at a gig on Saturday. I'm not sure if it's FC related, or Axe releated, so I'll start in this forum. Several times, my FC12 seemingly froze, and I couldn't control anything on the Axe relating to presets. No preset changes, no bank changes. I didn't think to check my expressions pedals that are connected to the FC (volume and wha) or the tuner, but I was more worried about getting back up and running than troubleshooting mid-set. However, I have a pedal in switch 3+4, that I use to trigger a MIDI message from the Axe to another piece of gear. The MIDI message would send. It happened 4 times over the course of the evening, and each time a simple reboot of the FC (not the rebooting the Axe, just unplugging and replugging the FASlink) got me back up and running. The fact that the MIDI message would send leads me to believe it wasn't the XLR cable, but I haven't ruled out a bad cable. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue yet, using the same XLR cable. Just strange that it impacted control of the Axe, but the MIDI message would still send. Note...I have two Axe 3's and to FC 12's. Both have been absolutely bullet proof for 4+ years now. Oh, and AC was good. Stayed between 116 and 119 volts all night.

I also control our digital mixer via router and iPad, and that app froze several times over the course of the gig as well. The WiFi connection between the iPad and router was fine, the router is wired to the mixer and that appeared to be fine. Just the app that controls the mixer froze. We've played this particular venue maybe a dozen times over the last 5-6 years with no issues. Given everything, I have NOT ruled out the venue being haunted....

Thoughts?

I had a head scratcher at a gig on Saturday. I'm not sure if it's FC related, or Axe releated, so I'll start in this forum. Several times, my FC12 seemingly froze, and I couldn't control anything on the Axe relating to presets. No preset changes, no bank changes. I didn't think to check my expressions pedals that are connected to the FC (volume and wha) or the tuner, but I was more worried about getting back up and running than troubleshooting mid-set. However, I have a pedal in switch 3+4, that I use to trigger a MIDI message from the Axe to another piece of gear. The MIDI message would send. It happened 4 times over the course of the evening, and each time a simple reboot of the FC (not the rebooting the Axe, just unplugging and replugging the FASlink) got me back up and running. The fact that the MIDI message would send leads me to believe it wasn't the XLR cable, but I haven't ruled out a bad cable. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue yet, using the same XLR cable. Just strange that it impacted control of the Axe, but the MIDI message would still send. Note...I have two Axe 3's and to FC 12's. Both have been absolutely bullet proof for 4+ years now. Oh, and AC was good. Stayed between 116 and 119 volts all night.

I also control our digital mixer via router and iPad, and that app froze several times over the course of the gig as well. The WiFi connection between the iPad and router was fine, the router is wired to the mixer and that appeared to be fine. Just the app that controls the mixer froze. We've played this particular venue maybe a dozen times over the last 5-6 years with no issues. Given everything, I have NOT ruled out the venue being haunted....

Thoughts?
This same freezing experience happen to me yesterday during live ministry. I have an FX3 and Fc6. I recall pressing pedal for a preset change and the FC pedal display windows went clear and none on the pedals worked. Only a FX3 reboot fixed it. I didn't think of just rebooting the Fc6. I have the latest firmware upgrade Firmware Version 21.04. I don't recall having a crash similar to this in the past.

This same freezing experience happen to me yesterday during live ministry. I have an FX3 and Fc6. I recall pressing pedal for a preset change and the FC pedal display windows went clear and none on the pedals worked. Only a FX3 reboot fixed it. I didn't think of just rebooting the Fc6. I have the latest firmware upgrade Firmware Version 21.04. I don't recall having a crash similar to this in the past.

My FC scribble scripts didn't go blank. They were just frozen on the current display. I didn't mention, I'm on firmware 1.12 on the FC's (they're original, not Mk2's), and 21.02 on the Axe (again, original, not Mk2's).

Install the latest firmware and use a new XLR cable would be my advice.

1.12 is the latest FW for the original FC's correct? I don't like to do FW upgrades on the Axe unless I have some time to play through it a little prior to the next gig. My schedule has been a bit heavy the last few weeks, so I haven't been able to get above 21.02 on the Axe.

I'm not overly concerned. Like I said, the Axe's and FC's have been solid for me, and I wasn't able to duplicate the issue since the show. I'm sure this is a one off deal. Just thought I'd mention it on the forum.

1.12 is the latest FW for the original FC's correct? I don't like to do FW upgrades on the Axe unless I have some time to play through it a little prior to the next gig. My schedule has been a bit heavy the last few weeks, so I haven't been able to get above 21.02 on the Axe.

I'm not overly concerned. Like I said, the Axe's and FC's have been solid for me, and I wasn't able to duplicate the issue since the show. I'm sure this is a one off deal. Just thought I'd mention it on the forum.
I meant latest firmware for Axe-Fx.

I've had the same issue multiple times, and tried new/old/different XLR cables but still had the problem come back. I found I can reproduce the issue by wiggling the XLR plug that goes into my FC6. For now, I just make sure the XLR plug is firmly seated, and then arrange the cable in such a way on my pedal board to ensure it is pushed firmly into the jack and can't move. Since I've started doing that the problem hasn't come back.

Last edited:
Would be interested to know what brand(s) of cables and/or XLR connectors you’re using — and if you’ve found a better (more solid) mechanical connection with certain brands.

All of my cables use either Shure or Neutrik XLRs — no “unknowns” in my stuff — and no issues thus far.

The weird thing was that I couldn't control presets, but the MIDI message that the external foot switch triggers would still send. You would think if it's a cable/connection issue, it would be all or none. Especially since the XLR cable is carrying both power and data. Carrying both power and data, should make things significantly more sensitive to a bad connection.

I had pretty much the exact same problem that @GaryB described, complete FC-12 lockup roughly 10 times over a three-hour show, and unplugging the XLR from the FC-12 and back in got me going for a while. I'm using the Fractal Audio FASLink cable, and the AxeFxIII is running through a Furman M-8Dx.

Here's my conclusion.......

I'm chalking it up to a bad power source at the venue. I play roughly 25-30 times a year and mostly theater shows, and I've only experienced this lockup behavior at this one venue. In fact, I've played there twice and had the same lockup issues both times. Our soundman runs an Allen & Heath Avantis console, and his controls had also locked up multiple times at the same venue.

So... @GaryB I'm hoping it's the venue power as it seems to be with my situation. My only concern is that yeah, in my case I can pretty easily point the finger at the venue power since I've never had lockup issues anywhere else, but the fact that lockups can and have happened give me just a tiny bit of anxiety. The positive is that I was able to confirm that the AxeFxIII did not lock up for me, just the FC-12.

Bill

I had pretty much the exact same problem that @GaryB described, complete FC-12 lockup roughly 10 times over a three-hour show, and unplugging the XLR from the FC-12 and back in got me going for a while. I'm using the Fractal Audio FASLink cable, and the AxeFxIII is running through a Furman M-8Dx.

Here's my conclusion.......

I'm chalking it up to a bad power source at the venue. I play roughly 25-30 times a year and mostly theater shows, and I've only experienced this lockup behavior at this one venue. In fact, I've played there twice and had the same lockup issues both times. Our soundman runs an Allen & Heath Avantis console, and his controls had also locked up multiple times at the same venue.

So... @GaryB I'm hoping it's the venue power as it seems to be with my situation. My only concern is that yeah, in my case I can pretty easily point the finger at the venue power since I've never had lockup issues anywhere else, but the fact that lockups can and have happened give me just a tiny bit of anxiety. The positive is that I was able to confirm that the AxeFxIII did not lock up for me, just the FC-12.

Bill
Seems legit...I had all sorts of craziness happen with my Axe and with the FC12 at a venue and was told (after the fact) that they are known for having bad power and many complaints from musicians. Other than this one place, my stuff is always pretty solid.

Not had a lockup but my EV-1 (plugged into FC12) stopped working unexpectedly in the studio this evening. Rebooted and it started working backwards. Didn't have time to investigate further but will order a new TRS cable in any event.

So, this happened again over the weekend at a gig. The FC would seemingly lock and not transmit patch or bank changes via the footswitches, but would transmit expression pedal data (Wah and Volume), and I have an external pedal into switch 3+4 that triggers the Axe to send a MIDI message to an external piece of gear. The MIDI message would send. I tried multiple MIC cables, but no go. Things locked up numerous times over the course of the show, each time a hot re-boot of the FC (unplug, plug the MIC cable at the FC) corrected the problem for a short period of time.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not concerned. For the number of gigs I play, and the very few times this has happened, I'm okay chalking it up to something screwy at the venue (although I've played this particular venue before with no issues). I am curious though, from a techie perspective, what would cause the FC to not transmit patch/bank change data, but not impact the expression pedal and external switch function?

Additional notes:
1. AC was good.
2. Axe FW is 21.02
3. FC FW is 1.12 (original FC 12)

I Just bought a FC12 a few days ago and have had the top right 3 switches stop working on me twice in a session. Pulling the XLR fixed it each time. Searching the forum and seeing that this is not an uncommon issue at this point, and I'm sort of regretting my purchase and considering just sticking with my old fashioned midi controller, as annoying as that might be to program.

I Just bought a FC12 a few days ago and have had the top right 3 switches stop working on me twice in a session. Pulling the XLR fixed it each time. Searching the forum and seeing that this is not an uncommon issue at this point, and I'm sort of regretting my purchase and considering just sticking with my old fashioned midi controller, as annoying as that might be to program.

I would venture a guess that the vast majority of the time it's the MIC cable with a scenario like this. Keep in mind that the cable is carrying both data and power, so it's not going to be as tolerant as if it were just carrying audio. If it's an intermittent break in the cable, it might work fine with a mic, but it'll send the FC into a tizzy.

I have two Axe 3's and two FC-12's (one set is a backup). Both rigs have been absolutely bullet proof. This the only hiccup I've experienced, and I've got hundreds of gigs on them over the course of 5-6 years. No regrets what so ever. Nothing's going to work perfectly 100% of the time. As I said, I was more curious/interested in what would impact just the on-board foot switches, and not the externals. Just seemed strange.

With a MIDI controller, you not only have the programming task, but you also need to run two cables....MIDI and power. For my money, I'll take the FC. You just plug it in, and it works.

Back
Top Bottom