Stopped being lazy and finally figured out a part that was bothering me...anyone else?

Triaxis75

Inspired
So as it implies, I finally sat down and figured out a part of a song that I usually slopped through for years. There's a lot more, but this one I had to do. For me, it was the the tail end of the verse/bridge before the chorus of:

UNCHAINED - VH

It seemed so chaotic and took too much to get the rhythmic feel of it, though it makes perfect sense while listening. I feel soooo much better now to get that monkey off my back.

Anyone else have an example of that "I'll get around to it later"?

You know who gets it wrong a lot? Those guys who do tabs for sheet music publishers. I'll learn a riff from tabs and then I'll see a video of the guitarist who recorded it and...wrong.

Wrong way, way more often than they should be, especially ones from 10+ years ago. Now with so much video content available for reference, they're getting better at researching the positioning.

Wrong way, way more often than they should be, especially ones from 10+ years ago. Now with so much video content available for reference, they're getting better at researching the positioning.
That's very true.....but sometimes too the artiste plays things differently live too.....sometimes to make things easier to play and run around or play and sing etc
It throws you off quite a bit until you realize what's happening
That Van Halen riff is indeed one of the weirdest ever! I too never quite 'got it', this thread will inspire me to try it back again!

I’ve had a few of those over the years, that little lead break in “Pull Me Under” leading into the choruses is one that I used to just butcher repeatedly in high school until I finally sat down and figured out the legit notes. Funnily enough, I got home yesterday to a package on my doorstep; a really great friend of mine sent me the Images And Words tab book as a birthday/Christmas present. We had a 16 year ‘break’ where we lost communication with each other and just started talking a few months ago, I couldn’t believe she even remembered I was a Dream Theater fan.

I had a friend ask me to play “Under The Bridge” back in the 90’s, I went to learn it and said “Fuck this” pretty quickly; I was trying to learn it by ear and didn’t realize there’s a couple overdubbed notes in the intro lick, which isn’t impossible to play, but it certainly makes it trickier. When I joined the cover band I’m in now, it was in the setlist and I was dreading it a bit based off that memory. It’s still a trickier lick than it sounds (for me, anyway, that damn hammer-on) and thankfully, tricky enough to take me out of the mind of someone who has heard that song so many times I pretty much hate it. :D

It legitimately took me 10 years to learn the main riff to Blackened by Metallica. I used to fumble around with it but one day I finally sat down and learned it properly (thank god for YouTube’s 0.5 speed function)

Just last night I finally learned the creepy super cool violin riff from the theme to the old 70's TV show "The Night Stalker"...I've been wanting to do that for years, literally. I'm finding it's a bit of a hard riff to get down...a fun new challenge. Great riff...one that's been stuck in my head forever.

I played "Walk This Way" for decades and never did the verse rhythm exactly right, close, but not 'the right way'...about 5 years ago I sat down and finally digested it properly.

Same with the chords in the choruses of "Long Train Runnin'"; again, I was quite close but not exact; I decisively wrestled that one to the ground over the last summer.

Oh man....Authentic Guitar Tabs publisher was brutal back in the day. Cherry Lane was better but dang. There was one I remember in Guitar World where they transcribed Motley Crue "Same ol Situation (SOS)" and i swear the guy must've fell asleep and landed his head on the keyboard.

On a side note, going to try to get all the little nuances of this gem:

It legitimately took me 10 years to learn the main riff to Blackened by Metallica. I used to fumble around with it but one day I finally sat down and learned it properly (thank god for YouTube’s 0.5 speed function)
I'm with you there...30 years later I think it was a Ben Ellerman video that got me to play the staccato intro riff, after the initial reverse intro, correctly. Was literally playing twice as many notes at break neck speed, down-picking speed, and with string skipping no less.

Btw, his video on "Turn up the Radio" solo is amazing. Such a great contributor.

Just last night I finally learned the creepy super cool violin riff from the theme to the old 70's TV show "The Night Stalker"...I've been wanting to do that for years, literally. I'm finding it's a bit of a hard riff to get down...a fun new challenge. Great riff...one that's been stuck in my head forever.

I played "Walk This Way" for decades and never did the verse rhythm exactly right, close, but not 'the right way'...about 5 years ago I sat down and finally digested it properly.

Same with the chords in the choruses of "Long Train Runnin'"; again, I was quite close but not exact; I decisively wrestled that one to the ground over the last summer.
Aww man Kolchak rocks! Love that show and it’s movies the Theme for the series is classic

I'm with you there...30 years later I think it was a Ben Ellerman video that got me to play the staccato intro riff, after the initial reverse intro, correctly. Was literally playing twice as many notes at break neck speed, down-picking speed, and with string skipping no less.

Btw, his video on "Turn up the Radio" solo is amazing. Such a great contributor.
Uncle Ben is the best guitar instructor on YouTube. I’ve been digging into his mastodon and opeth lessons lately. His attention to detail is incredible

Back
Top Bottom