Still the best out there?

I've found it to sound " 3D ".
It's the best way I can describe it. There's just so much air and life in this thing. The distortions are the best I've ever heard period. I'm happy this box can be fine tuned to nano-incriments but the 1st tones I've had using the Uber amp and a couple of Mark " for president " Day's solo sounds.
And again, this is coming from someone who's used every line6 / boss pedal ever made, all the guitar rigs, amplitubes and plenty of single function pedals too ( digital delay / chorus etc etc... ). I've been using it only on an Ibanez Jem 7VWH so far. Cant wait to try it out on the Les Paul ( and my bass guitar too ! )

I’m not sure if this post is necessary, and/or appropriate here, but let me start with that I’m a long time admirer and supporter of Cliff and his achievement. I was an early adopter of the first gen ULTRA and currently have an Axe-Fx II. So I have absolutely no intention to troll around, really. But. I feel I need to vent this. Yesterday I have installed a VST plugin amp simulator that “promises high quality guitar tones that we are all looking for”. I will not tell explicitly which one, so it is not an obvious advertisement, but oh boy, was I blown away. My setup is less than ideal. Well actually very bad for running VST plugins. I was running WindowsXP on a virtual machine in Linux, and used my Axe II as an audio interface. So as you can imagine: there was a lot of latency. But even though the chords came out of the speakers at a completely different time than when I strummed them, it was amazing. Really. I have never felt such an instant gratification with the Axe-Fx. My feelings are quite mixed now. I really like the concept of the Axe. The routing, the robustness... and low latency. It is a very versatile beast, ideal for live performances too. I want to really like the amp simulations too, but I was never truly satisfied with them. Yes there are good... no, amazing sounds in the unit, but the amp models always felt a little bit characterless to me. Since currently I only use my Axe II at home, now I’m seriously considering switching to VST plugins. I already feel that the worst thing about this would be the fight against latency. By the way if anyone have tips for a good interface and ultra-low latency, please shoot me a PM. To sum it up, I know I should just use what I think is best suited for me. I’m curious though if anybody else had a “Wow this is better than the Axe-Fx” moment lately. Well, strictly in reference to modelers. ;)
Which VST are you guys talking about?

It is easy to create the latency you're after by using a delay block in the Axe-Fx. Set it to 100% wet.

;-)

my experience has been that software plugins and other lesser hardware modeler solutions are ok when they can hide in the mix, but when you hit that solo button they can't stand on their own because the subtle dynamics that are missing become immediately apparent. i remember very clearly trying to jam with a well known and generally well regarded software plugin right after i sold my ultra and began my wait for the axe II. i was so disappointed that i turned it off within a few minutes and only used my real amps until i got my II. and that was with a top of the line audio interface and a solid computer.

the other thing is that time is precious and time is money. if you've ever had a session disrupted by computer / operating system / driver / software problems (just look at all those things that can go wrong) you really appreciate how valuable the axe II is (side note - cliff, please don't ever make the axe ask me if i want to update the firmware when i flip it on ;-)

to each their own. for me it's the axe II.

Back
Top Bottom