Still struggling with the ac30tb model

Hey ssmorga,
Thanks for letting me know - That's cool - It's the amp settings I'm most interested in :)

Thanks again
Pauly

@FractalAudio , i noticed that all factory presets using ac30tb have the dynamic damp at 5.56 and xfrm hi freq at 900hz, while resetting the amp block these 2 values default to 1.82 and 1200hz. Just curious what the correct values should be.
And also, I'm assuming the new settings you suggested apply to the "hot" model too, don't they?
Thanks

Ok, i see where the xfrm hi freq control is, and changing it to 900Hz adds more body to the amp(I'm sure because if the frequency it is causes it to thicken up the sound), but for the life of me I see no Dynamic Damp in the Amp block. I have even looked at the Factory bank Top Boost preset and went through every tab looking for a control value at 5.56 or 1.82 and haven't seen it either. Please........tell me what control you are talking about in the Amp block?

Hey ssmorga,
Thanks for letting me know - That's cool - It's the amp settings I'm most interested in :)

Thanks again
Pauly

Here ya go Pauly. I made the patch using my Tele with vintage wind Tele pups from Onamac, but I've used it with my LP, Airline, 137, Jazzmaster, and Strat with success as well. It may not be a dead ringer to what The Edge sounds like, but I like it personally.

Attachments

• The Edge.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 44
Not that my opinion of the AC30TB holds much water compared to edo's, but after trying out Cliff's recommended settings.....I used it at full volume this past weekend after tinkering with my patch for the last week or so and I must say it sounded pretty dang great!!! I still used the SDD in front of it when I wanted to drive it a bit, but left it off when I wanted a clean/edge when I dug in kinda sound. I still need to try throwing a TS/Super OD in front of it for a good OD sound though. It was the best sounding AC30 patch I have been able to come up with in the past year or so......now granted, I never was really pleased with my attempts in the past so the patch rarely made it past my practice room. I still need to go back and tinker with the Dynamic Damp and Xfrm Hi Freq that edo addressed above to see if it affects anything or not. I do have a question for edo though regarding the Bright Cap value......do you leave yours at default or do you adjust it to your taste? I am having an issue when I try to turn up the drive on the amp of it getting really dark.

I didn't mess with the bright cap as I think 60 is the proper value (I remember a post from fas stating that the bright cap value is half of the actual bright cap, so 60=120 which is the correct stock ac30 cap - and the popular bright cap mod actually consists in lowering the value to get rid of some extra fizzness). What I did however was boost a couple db's on the pre power amp eq at 4khz to add that extra bite, and used a parametric eq at the end to turn it back down, so that you actually increase the gain in that spectrum without actually turning the level up. Also, I cut a few db's in the 400-500 and this helps making it brighter

Ok, i see where the xfrm hi freq control is, and changing it to 900Hz adds more body to the amp(I'm sure because if the frequency it is causes it to thicken up the sound), but for the life of me I see no Dynamic Damp in the Amp block. I have even looked at the Factory bank Top Boost preset and went through every tab looking for a control value at 5.56 or 1.82 and haven't seen it either. Please........tell me what control you are talking about in the Amp block?

It's not on AE (I already reported this a while back on the AE subforum Without resulta), Its in the amp block advanced page

G'day again ssmorga78,

Cool!... I loaded the preset and tried a couple of Vox IRs, and had a fiddle - Nice... very 'real'... I thought it was a little thin atfirst until I played with some music at volume. Thanks a bunch.

Pauly

G'day again ssmorga78,

Cool!... I loaded the preset and tried a couple of Vox IRs, and had a fiddle - Nice... very 'real'... I thought it was a little thin atfirst until I played with some music at volume. Thanks a bunch.

Pauly

If you want to thicken it up, turn off the PEQ at the end of the chain. I have it set to cut everything below 125 I believe and everything above 6500. I use it when I play out to make sure of what I'm sending to FOH. Most of the time when I'm just noodling at home I turn it off so I can have a Fuller sound. Also, that EQ block after the amp will help it "cut through" a mix a bit better if you find it feeling buried in a live setting. My patches are always works in progress as I tend to be a never ending tinkerer....but so is the life of a guitarist I suppose. Glad you enjoyed the patch!

I didn't mess with the bright cap as I think 60 is the proper value (I remember a post from fas stating that the bright cap value is half of the actual bright cap, so 60=120 which is the correct stock ac30 cap - and the popular bright cap mod actually consists in lowering the value to get rid of some extra fizzness). What I did however was boost a couple db's on the pre power amp eq at 4khz to add that extra bite, and used a parametric eq at the end to turn it back down, so that you actually increase the gain in that spectrum without actually turning the level up. Also, I cut a few db's in the 400-500 and this helps making it brighter

Now even more stuff to tinker with!!! Thanks for all the info and tips you have divulged edo.....I have finally begun to like the AC30 for probably the first time since I started playing electric. I've always liked to listen to others play them, but never been able to dial something in that I liked playing.

Hard to really compare. The default settings seem to take a little more grit out of the tone compared to the previous temporary settings that Cliff provided. Edo is definitely focused on something very subtle and I can't claim to hear it, but I may not understand what he's looking for. I've also relied on the amp model for much longer. I used to have an AC30, but didn't use it that much. Edo has more experience with a real amp. Nonetheless, I think the AC30 model sounds fantastic as is. I'll post a clip this weekend.

Xfrmr Match should be reduced as well since I realized that the typical Celestion Blue speakers have a lower voice coil resistance than I used in the calculations. Set it to 0.8 and adjust to taste from there.

Cliff, is this setting change (Xfrmr match = 0.8) still relevant with fw1.06 that keeps this parameter at 1.0 ?

Edo, here is my Iris test. The clip has three parts. Part 1 is just Edge from an IEM (Inner Ear Monitor) version from one of the NYC shows. Part 3 is the same Edge clip panned left and my guitar with Axe-FX II XL panned right (I tried to match the volume levels). Part 3 is my recorded track from Part 2 with no panning (and a little higher in the mix.

Like I wrote a couple days back, it does sound much better but I haven't had the chance to crank it at gig level yet (I'm playing a gig on Tuesday, so I guess that's when I'll be able to judge properly)

How is the AC30 sounding with Quantum 2?

Back
Top Bottom