Still struggling with the ac30tb model

I'm gonna ask a silly question to the whole group. As I've never played an AC30 personally I have no way of knowing the answer to this.....but, as you turn up the input volume in the Axe, is the AC30TB suppose to get darker and darker? Or is this just a sign of a dodgy IR? When I have the input volume at or below 3-3.5 I have some nice crystal sounding cleans, however, when I start going past that 3.5ish mark it starts to get more and more muddy to the point where I have gone as far as turning the bass control to 0, set the treble at 10 and the hi cut at 0 and still couldn't seem to get the mud out. Now, I've experienced that sort of thing with Fender and Marshall amps, but I could at least get the mud out where as I have had zero luck with the AC30TB model in the Axe. Am I doing something wrong, cause if I am....PLEASE someone school me on proper AC30 tone dialing. I want to love this model, but am having a hard time.

I have tried using ML's Vox 57a IR, ML's Vox 57a/121b IR, and a fella here who did a 57/609 capture and a 58/122 capture from a '64/'65 as well. I am going to post my latest attempt at an AC30TB patch......and I claim to be no U2 player. I learned enough to do a 20 second demo of my patch, so please be nice!!!
Listen to The Edge Attempt 1 by Shaun Morgan 10 #np on #SoundCloud

I'm gonna ask a silly question to the whole group. As I've never played an AC30 personally I have no way of knowing the answer to this.....but, as you turn up the input volume in the Axe, is the AC30TB suppose to get darker and darker? Or is this just a sign of a dodgy IR? When I have the input volume at or below 3-3.5 I have some nice crystal sounding cleans, however, when I start going past that 3.5ish mark it starts to get more and more muddy to the point where I have gone as far as turning the bass control to 0, set the treble at 10 and the hi cut at 0 and still couldn't seem to get the mud out. Now, I've experienced that sort of thing with Fender and Marshall amps, but I could at least get the mud out where as I have had zero luck with the AC30TB model in the Axe. Am I doing something wrong, cause if I am....PLEASE someone school me on proper AC30 tone dialing. I want to love this model, but am having a hard time.

I can't speak about the Vox circuit itself, but that sounds like the normal affect of a bright cap on the input.

The higher the input the darker it gets. That's why you have to crank some non master amps to get into the sweet spot.

Try changing the bright cap value to get you into the brightness vs. gain territory you prefer.

@FractalAudio , i noticed that all factory presets using ac30tb have the dynamic damp at 5.56 and xfrm hi freq at 900hz, while resetting the amp block these 2 values default to 1.82 and 1200hz. Just curious what the correct values should be.
And also, I'm assuming the new settings you suggested apply to the "hot" model too, don't they?
Thanks

Found this thread very interesting. I've never been able to make the AC30TB have the attack I've really wanted either, I thought I just didn't know how to dial it in, so I've always used other models like the Morgan or Matchless, I've found those have gotten me much, much closer to what I want in terms of attack and cut.

Have you tried the AC30TB with the changes suggested by Cliff? If so, what are your thoughts?
I was gonna mess with it tonight. After I couldn't jell with it, I dialed in the Morgan and Matchless so I haven't fired up the 30TB in a while to revisit it. Very interested to see if I hear the changes tho.

too much silent these days...
think Santa is coocking something we well find under the Xmas tree in the next days!!! :p

Reactions: edo
@FractalAudio , i noticed that all factory presets using ac30tb have the dynamic damp at 5.56 and xfrm hi freq at 900hz, while resetting the amp block these 2 values default to 1.82 and 1200hz. Just curious what the correct values should be.
And also, I'm assuming the new settings you suggested apply to the "hot" model too, don't they?
Thanks

I asked the same/similar question here (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/default-amp-values-double-clicking.107368/) but never got a response.

I'll bet we see a quantum update before the AX8 ships. I think they will want to get these AC 30 updates into the first release of the AX8.
I agree. In one post it sounded like they may have gotten some of the changes done already but maybe they are working on getting some the different VOX versions Cliff mentioned into this update?

Thanks
Maybe it's because the latest presets banks have been developed for FW18 while when you reset a block it's done with the firmware default values. This is just mi guess but I think that it is up to Cliff to answer what is correct and what is not.

@edo, have you spent any more time playing with the AC30TB block, using the parameters Cliff recommended? If so, what do you think?

@edo, have you spent any more time playing with the AC30TB block, using the parameters Cliff recommended? If so, what do you think?
Like I wrote a couple days back, it does sound much better but I haven't had the chance to crank it at gig level yet (I'm playing a gig on Tuesday, so I guess that's when I'll be able to judge properly)

Like I wrote a couple days back, it does sound much better but I haven't had the chance to crank it at gig level yet (I'm playing a gig on Tuesday, so I guess that's when I'll be able to judge properly)

let us knows... after that Man!

Not that my opinion of the AC30TB holds much water compared to edo's, but after trying out Cliff's recommended settings.....I used it at full volume this past weekend after tinkering with my patch for the last week or so and I must say it sounded pretty dang great!!! I still used the SDD in front of it when I wanted to drive it a bit, but left it off when I wanted a clean/edge when I dug in kinda sound. I still need to try throwing a TS/Super OD in front of it for a good OD sound though. It was the best sounding AC30 patch I have been able to come up with in the past year or so......now granted, I never was really pleased with my attempts in the past so the patch rarely made it past my practice room. I still need to go back and tinker with the Dynamic Damp and Xfrm Hi Freq that edo addressed above to see if it affects anything or not. I do have a question for edo though regarding the Bright Cap value......do you leave yours at default or do you adjust it to your taste? I am having an issue when I try to turn up the drive on the amp of it getting really dark.

G'day Ssmorga
Patch please :)

Thanks
Pauly

Not that my opinion of the AC30TB holds much water compared to edo's, but after trying out Cliff's recommended settings.....I used it at full volume this past weekend after tinkering with my patch for the last week or so and I must say it sounded pretty dang great!!! I still used the SDD in front of it when I wanted to drive it a bit, but left it off when I wanted a clean/edge when I dug in kinda sound. I still need to try throwing a TS/Super OD in front of it for a good OD sound though. It was the best sounding AC30 patch I have been able to come up with in the past year or so......now granted, I never was really pleased with my attempts in the past so the patch rarely made it past my practice room. I still need to go back and tinker with the Dynamic Damp and Xfrm Hi Freq that edo addressed above to see if it affects anything or not. I do have a question for edo though regarding the Bright Cap value......do you leave yours at default or do you adjust it to your taste? I am having an issue when I try to turn up the drive on the amp of it getting really dark.

G'day Ssmorga
Patch please :)

Thanks
Pauly
Hey Pauly.......I will get it saved and posted this evening when I get in from work. Just a heads up, I used a cap from Indeloon that I downloaded from the forum here as an X state and a cabinet from ML's Class A pack as a Y state. So, I did not use factory cabs in my patch. I used the newest AC30 58/122 cab from Indeloon and the Class A SM57 A1 for my cabs.

Back
Top Bottom