Still struggling with cleanish to full solo

andyp13

Power User
I'm still struggling to get a good cleanish sound to full solo using the guitar volume, without such a big volume change.
I'm using the 808 drive lock into a shiver clean amp and get a great cleanish sound with the volume backed to about 6/7 and I get a good full solo with the volume on full, but the volume difference is quite dramatic.
I tried using an amp only but as yet no success.
would it be worth trying a compressor between the Drive block and the amp?
Does anyone who had this problem and solved it have any patches they can upload so that I can see how they did it etc....... I have the XL
thanks guys.

if you do this with modifiers assign to an XP, you'll have far more control.
You'll be able to the level of 'clean' you want to hit with the XP at the heel position to you can hit that tone reliably every time.
Also, you'll be able to compensate for loss of level and also the tonal "thinning" that occurs [if you wish].

There are extras too....
how about adding compression, reverb / delay / other FX for the tone as it cleans up ! !

the other advantage of making your clean < - > dirty tone transitions via an XP rather than via the guitar's vol knob, is that your hands remain where they're supposed to be... on the playing surfaces..

I'm still struggling to get a good cleanish sound to full solo using the guitar volume, without such a big volume change.
I'm using the 808 drive lock into a shiver clean amp and get a great cleanish sound with the volume backed to about 6/7 and I get a good full solo with the volume on full, but the volume difference is quite dramatic.
I tried using an amp only but as yet no success.
would it be worth trying a compressor between the Drive block and the amp?
Does anyone who had this problem and solved it have any patches they can upload so that I can see how they did it etc....... I have the XL
thanks guys.

Try a plexi with a drive in front. I really like the 1987x treble for this. It gets really saturated and fat and when I roll my volume off it gets sparkly clean. In fact I use the drive mainly to tighten up the sound when its needed. I don't add much gain. Its not gonna sound like a super reverb's clean but its gonna be clean. BTW the FW19 Drive blocks sound better. Might be worth a try. The Rats sound much better to me. You might want to just stick a righteous Rat in front of your Shiver Clean.

BTW we're talking humbuckers here right?

Try using an amp where you can set the MSTR high.

By using power amp compression, high MSTR, you won't have as much volume difference when roll the gtr volume up and down.

The Dumble sims work like that for me. I can get from breakup to gain with the gtr volume. It never gets "clean" but it works pretty good if you pick light with the gtr volume rolled off.

I keep the input drive and overdrive up higher than I really want, 7.5, 9, and don't max the gtr volume; even for the gainy lead.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but with all the alternative ways of achieving various levels of clean/dirty tones using the Axe Fx, why even bother with the guitar volume control?

I have found the use of an XP ( expression pedal) to be of immense help in situations like this and more... I have an MFC101 with an attached Yamaha FC7 ($35) which I use solely for volume / loudness manipulation. For me there is a significant difference between using the XP to vary the volume vs. the guitar volume knob ( the guitar volume loads up/ adds dirt to the signal feeding the AXE FX whereas the XP merely increases / decreases output loudness. I no longer play without the MFC / XP if I can help it - it's a "fine tooth comb" enhancement! ( and also cool for volume swells now and then - for instance when I want to emulate a steel guitar's sound.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but with all the alternative ways of achieving various levels of clean/dirty tones using the Axe Fx, why even bother with the guitar volume control?

For me its just preference. And I only use the gtr volume controls on certain guitars. Depends on the pups and gtr wiring for me.

I could use an exp pedal to get the same effects I like though. There are so many shades of gain when varying in the signal hitting the front of the amp, I find it nice to dial that in from the gtr. But I could get used to a pedal too.

The other reason for this would be someone who doesn't want to be chained to a floorboard, simplicity is a good thing from time to time.

as they say in Latin: abso fa kenlut le

as they say in Latin: abso fa kenlut le

Hmm, I couldn't find that in my Latin dictionary??? ;)

OP, as the Clark-meister stated, using an expression pedal is a great approach. Just have the XP change the Drive parameter on the 808 Drive block.

I generally just use separate scenes for my clean/lead tones. Gives you a lot more flexibility: X/Y Amps, Drives, Effects, etc.

Still struggling with this problem, I tried putting a compressor between the drive and the amp - this solved the massive volume change but the overdrive sound changed too much, and I really did not like the sound on the overdrive with compression.
I tried not using a drive and used an amp and the comp in the amp block, but this had exactly the same effect and I lost the sound and feel.
I would like to use the Drive block into the Amp block but I really need to crack this volume issue.
I have my guitar backed off to 7 for rhythm and full for lead but the volume differene is way to much (it almost doubles), any other help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would try putting the Compressor block last in your chain. Use the studio compressor model. I'd use a fairly low threshold value (< -35db) and a fairly high ratio value (>3). This is going to reduce the dynamic range, so will most likely change the overall sound. Experiment with the threshold and ratio values to balance dynamic range and tone.

Back
Top Bottom