Still struggling getting a nice breakup

andyp13

Power User
I posted about this the other day, but the thread got silly.

I am really struggling to find a sound that is clean with the volume backed off and a nice 'warm' drive sound with the vol up full.
I had another go today but with unwelcome results. I used the Axe FX directly in to a yamaha DXR10.
I have not really used Cab blocks before so I also experimented with them.... The majority just made the sound worse (either thin and weady or scooped).
The amps (presets) are mainly distorted already, unfortunately I am not a metal player and I am finding the majority of sounds/amps seemed to be geared for metal.
I can get the sound I want with the 4cm setup with my amp and using the axe 808 drive block with no Amp or cab blocks, but I am buying the GT800 hence why I am wanting to experiment with Amp blocks
It was suggested I try the odFord amp (as I'm after that kind of sound) but the overdrive sounds awful and too much and I was unable to clean it up. And the clean Ford I could not get it to overdrive as it does not have an overdrive setting? I tried turning the amp input up and the master level down but with no joy. This is how it's usually done on real amps is it not?
And yes I do realise it's probably me and not the Axe, but I am very dissoloutioned by this, to the point of considering not buying the gt800.
Hope someone can help.

Going into a FRFR speaker setup like the Yamaha, you will definitely want to use a cab block and make sure power amp and cabinet modeling are turned on in the Axe's global menu as well. What kind of guitar and pickups are you using? Can you provide an example of the kind of tone you are going for? Many of the factory presets are setup for pretty high gain. I'd suggest starting from scratch with a blank preset and using the amp block defaults instead. They tend to be a more neutral starting point.

Last edited:
if you are going FRFR and aren't using cabs you will never get a good tone. it's very easy to get good breakup with the Axe....seems like you are sabotaging yourself before you ever get started.

if you are going FRFR and aren't using cabs you will never get a good tone. it's very easy to get good breakup with the Axe....seems like you are sabotaging yourself before you ever get started.

Do you mean not using "cab sims on". Cuz it sounds like you mean if you are not using real cabs then you won't get a good sound. And that's just not true.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, are you using a cab block ? If not are you using a real guitar cab? You need to use one or the other.

I have not really used Cab blocks before so I also experimented with them.... The majority just made the sound worse (either thin and weady or scooped).

this sounds like exactly the opposite of what adding a cab block should do.

you say the factory presets sound like too much distortion. have you tried turning down the Input Drive or other Gain parameters?

And the clean Ford I could not get it to overdrive as it does not have an overdrive setting? I tried turning the amp input up and the master level down but with no joy. This is how it's usually done on real amps is it not?

Overdrive is a secondary control for shaping the gain/distortion. many amps in the axe do not have an Overdrive control. the main gain/distortion control is usually Input Drive, which the ODS-100 Clean definitely has.

when you say "amp input" what is that exactly? and why turn the Master Level down?

here are some basics:

Input Drive: main distortion/gain control. turn up or down to change the amount of gain/distortion heard
Master Volume: controls the amount of Power Amp distortion. this also changes the perceived volume/loudness of the preset in general (See Output Level)
Output Level: used to balance the over all perceived volume/loudness of a preset relative to the Axe-Fx Output (turn this down if the unit clips), as well as relative to other presets on the axe. if you want a high Master Volume (for more power amp distortion) but the preset gets too loud, turn down the Output Level.
Overdrive: a secondary control for shaping the distortion, not available on all amps. suggested to leave this at default values unless you are familiar with the control.

i think you may be confused with Master Volume of an amp vs. Output Level. remember this is a digital unit. it's as if we had a mic on the amp and are sitting in the control room at a huge mixer. some guy sets his amp how he likes it - loud, soft, whatever. and then we use the Mixer in the studio control room to get the volume correct for the recording, or our headphones, etc. that level is the Output Level parameter in the Amp block and affects the preset. use the Output Level parameter in the Amp block to balance levels among presets.

on top of all of that, there is a hardware Output Level knob on the front panel that adjusts everything of what i just mentioned all at once. think of that like the volume control on the iPod of the guy who bought the song after the Studio created it.

there are a few basic concepts i think that are being confused. i highly suggest this:

load a factory preset - try the 59 Bassguy preset, usually the first preset. turn your Axe Output Level knob on the Front Panel to about 10:00. play your guitar at full volume and adjust the volume on your DXR10 till it's the correct level for the room.

please make sure you did exactly what i said above. Front panel out knob at 10:00, guitar volume fully up, stock preset no changes 59 Bassguy. now try rolling back your guitar volume. how does it sound? if it doesn't clean up enough, reduce the Input Drive control in that preset till it gets close. now put your guitar volume all the way back up. how does it sound? if the level is now quiet compared to before, increase the Output Level parameter in the Amp block. you should have left your Axe-Fx Front Panel Output Level knob at 10:00 this whole time, as well as the DXR volume.

too many people adjust the Front Panel knob to balance volume among presets instead of adjusting it per preset with the Output Level parameter in the amp block. doing that changes nothing for the next time you load the preset. you'll be playing with the Front Panel knob all day. the Front Panel Output Level knob and the volume of your DXR or whatever amp/speaker you use should really be "set it and forget it." if you are messing with those the entire time you play, your presets aren't balanced right.

please try exactly what i suggested above. we need to have some constants in this experiment. here is the 59 Bassguy preset if you don't have it already:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w5ue52u61dzfcq/59 Bassguy.syx?dl=0

also check your Global menu on the Axe Front Panel that Power Amp Modeling is ON and Cabinet Modeling is Active.

Try the Dirty Shirley amp model. Check out Wiki for Cab suggestions. Cleans up well with the volume control lowered and has a nice classic overdrive with volume up. I would also suggest that you make your own preset from scratch.

Thanks for all the help guys, Chris I will try your suggestions tomorrow (gettin a bit late) and get back to you.
I do have the Amp and Cab sims switched to ON.
My main guitar is a Strat with EMG pickups inc a humbucker, other guitars are a 60's Strat (which always sounds weak and thin in the Axe) and a 79 gibson 335 (for those Carlton tunes)
The sounds I go for is the Robben ford, early Carlton type lead tone.
Thank you so far, I will get back to you guys tomorrow.

Hi Guys
With your advise I had some success today using the clean Ford Amp block. I got a nice overdrive sound. The only problem is it was a little thin, but backing off the volume became a little too dark.
I was really disappointed to read that the Frequency control (which adjusts the frequency depending on the volume) will not feature in the new Firmware So it seems Im back to square one if I upgrade. Surly it would not harm to leave such a powerful feature in the Axe - why take it out?

I mean the Character Frequency.... It can automatically reduce the highs when the volume is loud and increase them when the volume is backed of. But I have been informed that it will not feature in the new firmware, could anyone who has the beater update installed confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom