Sticky: Posting Etiquette.

mailbox103

Inspired
FYI. Love all the tone match posts. Really great job by many of you. When posting though try to post audio with the patch and vise versa. It's good to hear what you'll be downloading and it sucks to not be able to download a patch that sounds great. I know it isn't always possible and I do understand, but it is ideal for the forum I think.
Thanks.:D

I don't really disagree with the post, but from my own perspective, making the tone match was more computer geeky - having the nerve to throw my playing up on here with some of you guys takes more guts than I currently have.

I can understand where you're coming from, but there's another way to read your request: "If you're going to give me something for free, go the extra mile and give me the whole package." That's not exactly an etiquette issue. And to be honest, using the word "sticky" in your post is misleading at best.

Some folks have a problem with posting their patches. This much is very true. Rex is right in that some feel as if they've done all this work, and that others should benefit (take advantage?) is not in line with their way of thinking. It is neither right or wrong.

If we ask for a patch, and it is not forthcoming, then that is the choice of the poster. If nothing else, it shows the potential of tone matching. Live and let live and enjoy.

Ron

In the new novelty of FW6 I tonematched a number of tones, some pretty good, some so so.. but in all honestly. with the "upgrade" in the amp section in this firmware, I dont really feel I need to tonematch much. The weakest link in me playing EVH stuff will always be lacking of EVH feel, phrasing and skills anyway.
In some extreme cases its cool to add a special tone... eg Beatles Revolution, where you cant even come close with "regular" amp models.

so... I just shut up and play my guitar ;)

Should I get back to the tone matching block I'll certainly post any presets I complete. Unfortunately I don't often find enough time to record audio (busy here these days). Honestly though, I'm finding the amp models more fun to work with.

Sticky: we have entered the age where it is easy to hand over a lifetime's amount of hard work in a simple digital file, and because it is so easy to pass around, it's as if the work put in is meaningless. to me, if someone wants one of my patches to learn how i created a sound or how to get a particular tone, then go from there and create his own patches, i might share it.

but there is just something that irks me about someone who just wants free handouts of patches and not put any work into it. as meaningless as an axefx patch is to the grand scheme of life, i feel it's easy enough to create on your own with just a little bit of work and research put into it instead of just taking the time i've put in. there are many counter arguments possible, but that's just how i feel.

i've made posts and a few tutorials on how to setup things the way i do, but i always try to leave some work for the person so they actually learn from the experience. i've had people tell me "just give me the answer" as if they didn't even want to think at all. how frustrating.

man, now i know how the record industry felt with napster and the internet...

We're talking about sharing presets of tone matched guitars of songs that the poster does not own anyway. Copyright infringement already. Do these posters plan on making $ with these tone matches? I thought many in this forum subscribed to the "sharing is caring" theory, And figured tone matching was the perfect candidate for sharing.

I know there is time invested in making a tone match but why can't we all save each of us Axe FX brethren some time if we can. Just seems like the nice and giving thing to do.

If you're not comfortable posting patches then don't. But honestly then, who cares about what copyright infringing tones you matched. So what? You can show off "Look what I did" "Too bad. I'm a selfish show off" "Please like my post though." Whatever. Comes off as hypocritical and self absorbed at best.

the TMA block eq curve may not be appropriate for everybody, so they might still have to do the match anyway. plus, the amp settings etc may not necessarily be optimal or quite there yet. There have been times when I shared stuff that was not quite there and I regretted it afterwards. Its not always for selfish reasons that people don't share, sometimes they just dont like being totally exposed to technical scrutiny. Same goes for recordings, but more so.

No-one deserves to be labelled self-absorbed for doing a good job on a tone but don't opt to share the patches.

I think the forum topics might be confusing.
Youv'e got "recordings" - thats where recordings go. You don't have to post the preset here, right? but it would be silly not to post a recording :)
Youv'e got "preset exchange" - thats where presets go. You can post a recording here, but if you don't post a preset, ppl may get annoyed....
Then you have "tone match". No limits, no rules.

Post a clip first. if people dig it enough, post the patch if you are comfortable with that.. thats the way it usually works and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom