Steven Slate Drums or Ocean Way Drums???

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
If you had to choose one, which one would you choose & why?

I am leaning towards the Steven Slate drums just because of the available Terry Date pack, but the Ocean Way interface and ssounds seem good too.

Help me sort this out please.

I have both. Ocean Way is at best clunky to install and use. They sound great though. Not a fan of the interface.

I like SSD better. Sounds great and easier to use.

I only have Steven Slate Drums and the David Bendeth Expansion, I am not familiar with Ocean Way. I can say so much that I can do pretty much anything with Slate Drums, I have no need for any further drum samples. So while I do not know if Ocean Way is better, i can tell you that with Steven Slate Drums you will almost certainly be very happy.

I use SSD.

The Ocean Way sound is legendary but the recent expansion packs for SSD are really remarkable. The Blackbird set is really something special and in some ways has as good of a room sound as Ocean Way.

The thing about Ocean Way is the iconic room sound. For drums, this can be heard on many many recordings. It's at once familiar and inspiring.

SSD into the UA Ocean Way plugin is pretty incredible too.

If you plan to go with SSD expansions it might be best. I use OW for filling in, and specifically their brush kit. I am not overly impressed with some of the SSD stock versions. I like hi hats that have a shimmering and I like to have a lot of room and power to tweak EQ. For me BFD does that better, but using expansions can make up for it. Its like the addage to focus on the main sounds you want rather than the most unwanted features.

Back
Top Bottom