Stereo power for FM9 rig.

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
Good afternoon all,

I'm thinking about how I want to get my FM9 rig set up and I'm going to be running it into either two 2x12's or two 1x12's (I'll have a stereo rig onstage while sending a mono signal to FOH) but I'm not sure how I should go about powering them. I don't want to add a rack to the rig, so no rack unit power amps, it'll be two Mesa cabs that need power.

I wish they made the Powerstage 170 with a stereo option! Maybe I'll just grab a couple of those and put them on top of the cabs as that'll be a good amount of pedalboard real estate to take up.

What are you guys doing for power? Anyone else making a stereo live rig?

As I have worked with it more and more, for me, imo, afaiac, idmydy; finding a power amp that doesn't get in the way is THE biggest challenge for Fractal stuff. Of course I want power amp help on the Helix turd. Boss is great (neough)as is and is not near as picky about the power amp as Fractal stuff seems to be. But every day I try to find goldilocks with powering cabs with Fractal is a day I wish FractalCab existed.

I will say this. I LOVE my Camplifier with my F12 rig. I know they use IcePower so I am betting the SD 700 would slay for a dual F12 in stereo OR F12 wired in parallel to 4 ohms cab. The struggle finding a power amp that let's Fractal do it's thing for me is very real.

Good afternoon all,

I'm thinking about how I want to get my FM9 rig set up and I'm going to be running it into either two 2x12's or two 1x12's (I'll have a stereo rig onstage while sending a mono signal to FOH) but I'm not sure how I should go about powering them. I don't want to add a rack to the rig, so no rack unit power amps, it'll be two Mesa cabs that need power.

I wish they made the Powerstage 170 with a stereo option! Maybe I'll just grab a couple of those and put them on top of the cabs as that'll be a good amount of pedalboard real estate to take up.

What are you guys doing for power? Anyone else making a stereo live rig?
If you do not have the cabs bought yet I would recommend Xitone active 112 or you could get 2 Mesa thiele cabs and retrofit. You could install a Dayton PPA800DSP plate amp on the back of cab. @ 320 bucks per ,not bad considering. I have 2 of these for FRFR. It's going to cost if you want true FRFR though.

I wish they made the Powerstage 170 with a stereo option!
You can kinda make your own, just buy one of these: https://icepower.dk/products/

And eventually you can find a case and the needed wiring here: https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/index.html

EDIT: another alternative might be a couple of these: https://www.thomann.de/it/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm

Some TGP users are saying these have an icepower board inside, but I haven't personally verified that and still haven't seen a gutshot.
If that's true it might be a deal though, they cost less than an icepower circuit board alone.

Last edited:
What about the ISP Technologies Stealth Pro?

This is perfect!!! It does stereo!!!! Fuck yeah, thanks!!!

I haven’t kept up with pedal-based stuff in so long because I’ve just been thinking, “The AxeFX is a rack unit”, so the FM9 changed that up a bit. This will be PERFECT! 80 watts a cab is more than enough!

If you do not have the cabs bought yet I would recommend Xitone active 112 or you could get 2 Mesa thiele cabs and retrofit. You could install a Dayton PPA800DSP plate amp on the back of cab. @ 320 bucks per ,not bad considering. I have 2 of these for FRFR. It's going to cost if you want true FRFR though.

I don’t really have an interest in the FRFR stuff. Maybe it’s just my perception, but I seem to read more about people finding ways to make FRFR work for them, as opposed to raving about how well it’s working for them. I love plugging into my cabs now, I’ve just been slaving from a Peavey XXL head to power them, not exactly ideal!

I don’t really have an interest in the FRFR stuff. Maybe it’s just my perception, but I seem to read more about people finding ways to make FRFR work for them, as opposed to raving about how well it’s working for them. I love plugging into my cabs now, I’ve just been slaving from a Peavey XXL head to power them, not exactly ideal!

I'm the same way, but feel it is kind of blasphemous admitting it here.

Laptop power supply = deal broken :oops: :D

I'm the same way, but feel it is kind of blasphemous admitting it here.

Surely other people can be ok with the fact that I get everything I want out of running into regular guitar cabs…….and don’t have to post the “Trying to get AITR” posts!

Surely other people can be ok with the fact that I get everything I want out of running into regular guitar cabs…….and don’t have to post the “Trying to get AITR” posts!

Wow.... that comes across as tremendously naive for a dude who has so much familiarity with the Internet. ;)

Expect a reply trying to correct you in 3.... 2..... and..... :)

Last edited:
Running into regular cabs is fine I have done the same thing but your not taking full advantage of the FM9 without FRFR imo since it's basically a hi-fi audio and guitar speakers are not hi-fi. Of course, Live use is less important mixed with the band. It's still going to sound excellent.

This is perfect!!! It does stereo!!!! Fuck yeah, thanks!!!

I haven’t kept up with pedal-based stuff in so long because I’ve just been thinking, “The AxeFX is a rack unit”, so the FM9 changed that up a bit. This will be PERFECT! 80 watts a cab is more than enough!
Tempe Audio has a stereo power amp module that fits their pedalboards....

Running into regular cabs is fine I have done the same thing but your not taking full advantage of the FM9 without FRFR imo since it's basically a hi-fi audio and guitar speakers are not hi-fi. Of course, Live use is less important mixed with the band. It's still going to sound excellent.

I haven't had an issue dialing in the tones I've gone for using regular cabs, so I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything except for the need to make a thread asking where the amp in the room is. :smiley:

Tempe Audio has a stereo power amp module that fits their pedalboards....

This is where my idiosyncratic form-over-function idiocy comes into play; for some reason, a purely aesthetic reason, I only dig pedalboard with the aluminum edge trim with the handles on the sides. It's really silly, but it's a whole thing with me. It totally comes from seeing Vai's '96 pedalboard and being mystified by it, not knowing what half the shit did, but even the board itself looked so cool to me.

Yep, it'd definitely be easier to wire up and power those Temple Audio boards, or Pedal Train or whatever, but I'm a dipshit and will only use ones like this-

eEYWy28.jpeg

ouuqiGd.jpeg

I've built a few of them now instead of buying them because if you've got the tools, it's like $30 in parts at Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom