Stereo Pitch Effects

Hopper_

I need some help troubleshooting why my pitch block won't pan left/right for a stereo effect. I have uploaded the preset and a screenshot in hopes that someone can tell me where I might be going wrong. Any information helps, thanks!

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 5.36.38 PM.png

Attachments

• Clean Demo.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Both voices in the screenshot are panned center. Why do you expect them to give you stereo sound with this configuration?
Because I tried panning the voices and nothing changed except some volume loss. Even panning the block itself doesn’t actually pan in the stereo field.
Simply the screenshot was taken with them panned in the center.

Last edited:
One of your reverb blocks is also set to 100% wet in series. if you turn that block on it will sum to mono again. The wet input to the reverb algorithms is mono. The dry signal keeps the stereo image, but the wet does not. For full stereo thru reverb, you'll need to use two reverb blocks in parallel.

Hard panning Cab 1 Left and Cab 2 Right fixes it for me with your preset on my Axe III.
Interesting. I swear I tried doing that during my troubleshooting. I’ll give it another go tonight.

If I had two of the same amp blocks panned L/R could I still use the cab block with the two IRs panned center and still maintain the stereo field of the pitch block? Trying to see what I can do to save cpu as well.

One of your reverb blocks is also set to 100% wet in series. if you turn that block on it will sum to mono again. The wet input to the reverb algorithms is mono. The dry signal keeps the stereo image, but the wet does not. For full stereo thru reverb, you'll need to use two reverb blocks in parallel.
Oops, I was messing with parallel vs series on that preset and must have forgot to put it back before uploading. Thanks for pointing that out and your help. Really appreciate it.

Interesting. I swear I tried doing that during my troubleshooting. I’ll give it another go tonight.

If I had two of the same amp blocks panned L/R could I still use the cab block with the two IRs panned center and still maintain the stereo field of the pitch block? Trying to see what I can do to save cpu as well.

No, you'd have a mono signal that is twice as loud. The only way to keep the stereo image intact is to hard pan the cabs. When the cab block is set to Stereo input, cabs 1 and 3 are fed by the Left input channel and cabs 2 and 4 are fed by the right input channel. They must be kept separate to maintain the stereo image.

No, you'd have a mono signal that is twice as loud. The only way to keep the stereo image intact is to hard pan the cabs. When the cab block is set to Stereo input, cabs 1 and 3 are fed by the Left input channel and cabs 2 and 4 are fed by the right input channel. They must be kept separate to maintain the stereo image.
That is very helpful to know, and makes sense. In the case where I want to keep the SM57/R121 mic combo on the IRs, is the only way to effectively do that by adding a second identical cab block and pan both blocks L/R?
Could I use some IR loader software to combine the two mic combos into one IR? That way I could have the same mic combo on L and R. If that makes sense.

Yes, if you want both cabs to be used for both channels, you'll need to add a second cab block and select those same IRs in that block as well. You'd set the input mode in one block to Left Only and hard pan the cabs Left. In the other, you'd select Right Only input and pan the cabs hard right.

You could combine the two cabs into a single user IR, but the factory cabs cannot be exported for that directly. You could potentially use a tone match to combine them, but the FM9 does not have that feature.

The simpler solution would be to move the pitch block after the cab block.

Yes, if you want both cabs to be used for both channels, you'll need to add a second cab block and select those same IRs in that block as well. You'd set the input mode in one block to Left Only and hard pan the cabs Left. In the other, you'd select Right Only input and pan the cabs hard right.

You could combine the two cabs into a single user IR, but the factory cabs cannot be exported for that directly. You could potentially use a tone match to combine them, but the FM9 does not have that feature.

The simpler solution would be to move the pitch block after the cab block.
Got it! I understand the limitations I have been implementing on myself. I'll keep experimenting with routing now that I have a better handle on it. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom