Stereo IR's

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Folks have mentioned panning IR's for a bigger stereo sound, is this correct? If so how is it done and or what were other go to tweaks to enhance using IR's (context of tone am looking for is the 50w Plexi tone -mid to higher gain rock and classic metal)
~Don

What Cliff said.

I create some confusion on this because I hijack the stereo cab to create a mono-summed cab using two different IR's panned to center and use the levels of each to create a summed mono cab.

So if you want panned stereo cabs - pan them and wail away.

Set the cab block to stereo. Use different IRs in the left and right channels. Pan to taste.

I do this except I take it further and use different mic "shoots" of the same cab, which is my 1981 JCM800 Lead Series angled 4x12 with original g12-65's.

Running 2 stereo cabs gives me 4 mic options of the same cab and is exactly like tracking in the studio for me, absolutely love it.

I do this except I take it further and use different mic "shoots" of the same cab, which is my 1981 JCM800 Lead Series angled 4x12 with original g12-65's.

Running 2 stereo cabs gives me 4 mic options of the same cab and is exactly like tracking in the studio for me, absolutely love it.

Yes, I often use the same cab with different mics.

If the IRs sound fairly similar you can get away with wider panning, which I really like the sound of.

If you use 2 IRs that sound really different I don't usually pan more than +/- 10-20. Otherwise, it just sounds really strange.

Back
Top Bottom