Closed Stereo input/output capability for the Tape Distortion Drive Block, when block used after stereo/panned cabs (so no mono summing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Request: add a stereo input/output option switch to the existing Tape Distortion drive block.

Explanation: This tape distortion drive block is very useful tonally placed after Cab or near end of signal chain, but it sums to mono, as all drive blocks do.

If we are using, as once recommended, the tape distortion block effect after a Cab (maybe trying to replicate a studio tape sound leaving the Board going to tape machine) that has multiple cabs panned, the tape distortion block now defeats that cab block stereo image and sums them to mono.

(I suppose a work around is to use two stacked tape distortion drive blocks panned hard left and right after cab, then rejoin into signal chain, but won't each block get the summed signal leaving the cab? So you'd have to use two Cab blocks now each panned then two drive blocks behind each? That workaround seems to be inefficient use of CPU power.... be easier if tape distortion drive block was also stereo mode capable.)

Last edited:
won't each block get the summed signal leaving the cab?

There's an Input Select parameter in the drive block.

For other mono-in effects without input select, L/R can be isolated with vol/pan input select or balance in other low-CPU blocks like filter/EQ.

Handy idea, but I wonder... could the Preamp section of the Cab block get you where you need to go? It has a few tape distortion options.

Handy idea, but I wonder... could the Preamp section of the Cab block get you where you need to go? It has a few tape distortion options.
Rex - I have tried that, but the Tape Distortion is pretty pleasing/smoothing so far in comparison...

Rex - I have tried that, but the Tape Distortion is pretty pleasing/smoothing so far in comparison...
I've always found the 50 µsec Tape setting to be pleasant, but I've never done a direct comparison with the Drive block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom