Stereo-In Effects coming soon??

evh_slash

Wondered if at some point we may be getting a choice of Stereo Input mode for the Reverb or Plex Delay blocks??

Kinda makes sense as these effects usually come after stereo chorus or pitch shift and using 2 seperate Mono in Reverb/Plex blocks drains the hell out of the CPU...

Just a thought.

How would you use these effects differently if they allowed separate processing of the separate left and right incoming signals? Would you want separate controls/parameters for each input? If so, wouldn’t it be kind of like using two separate blocks?

Hi evh_slash,

Sending 2 signals to a reverb block, with one panned left and the other right will process each in place. Is there something else you want to achieve?
Thanks
Pauly

Wondered if at some point we may be getting a choice of Stereo Input mode for the Reverb or Plex Delay blocks??

Kinda makes sense as these effects usually come after stereo chorus or pitch shift and using 2 seperate Mono in Reverb/Plex blocks drains the hell out of the CPU...

Just a thought.

How would you use these effects differently if they allowed separate processing of the separate left and right incoming signals? Would you want separate controls/parameters for each input? If so, wouldn’t it be kind of like using two separate blocks?

Stereo imagery is not maintained at the input of the Reverb generator.... On the other hand we have the option of going stereo in for the Pitch block, studio compressor, cab block and Dual delay block.

I think seeing as reverb & Plex delays usually come late in the chain it may have made sense to offer a stereo input mode so any incoming audio is not summed or potentially cancelled.

So far I've been using 2 reverb blocks but to reduce CPU load I'll try 1 block set to L+R & hope there are no artifacts present. I'm using my axe fx with an actual Tri Stereo Chorus rack so I want to keep the Stereo imagery as intact as possible.

Making the reverb block stereo would probably double the cpu usage and it would be essentially the same as running 2 blocks.
Unless it can be made so that only the early reflections are processed in true stereo, that would probably be a good compromise for the CPU and wouldn't be that far from a true stereo reverb since the late reflections are pretty washed out anyway

Hi evh_slash,

Sending 2 signals to a reverb block, with one panned left and the other right will process each in place. Is there something else you want to achieve?
Thanks
Pauly
Look at the block diagram below. The L/R dry signal stereo image will be retained but the wet signal is summed at the input.

08896BE7-5693-4E33-B828-DA195AB8768D.jpeg

Stereo reverb is a misnomer, IMO. Independent reverb for left and right is not stereo reverb. Plugins exist that allow the user to move signal sources to specific locations in a virtual "soundstage" where all aspects of the early reflections, reverb, and dry signals are affected by the virtual location.

These plugins generally require significant latency, and do not behave as one might expect. There is usually no dry/wet control. Instead, you change the sources distance via its location, moving it closer or farther from the virtual listing position, or left and right in the field. Even above, below, or behind the listener position is possible, and for several sources at one.

These plugins are great for certain applications, but they don't really work for "stereo" input signals. Their job is to place a mono point source (such as a violin, voice, guitar amp, drum) into a virtual stereo space. These algorithms aren't generally considered to be reverb. I'm not sure how a reverb algorithm could meaningfully process a stereo signal. But I'm always open to new techniques and technologies.

If it would unnecessarily drain extra CPU then it makes sense not to bother but I just wondered why some effects like the pitch block in the Axe have the option of Stereo in, but the time based FX that came later in the chain did not offer this.

Stereo reverb is a misnomer, IMO...

This makes a lot of sense. Reverb is the process of sound bouncing around a single space. The "stereo" part is that all that sound, having bounced around a big singular space, ultimately lands in your two ears, ever so slightly differently.

How does reverb in the Axe-Fx work, anyway? Or does it simulate two "mics" picking up the same reverb at different points in space or is it truly mono from intput to output?

Back
Top Bottom