AFIII Stereo Harmonic Tremolo

iaresee

Administrator
A thread by @Danny Hayoun and @LeonC talking about the stereo Magnatone amplifer that did both stereo panning and some vibrato effect had me wondering if I could cobble together something similarly dimensional and lush in the Axe-Fx III using a couple of blocks around an AMP and CAB pair.

I sat down tonight to try.

I didn't really get close to the Magnatone sound, but as I was flipping things around looking for the right combination I hit upon this pretty spectacular combo of a harmonic tremolo block followed by a stereo panning block.

With a light touch on the mix and width and using different frequencies for both of the effects it really comes alive and is a blast to play through.

The preset, unfortunately, uses some of @austinbuddy's fine work for the AMP and CAB block setup so I can't share it, but the important block layout was: DRV > AMP > TREM (Harmonic) > CAB > PAN (Stereo).

Harmonic Tremolo block settings were:

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.45.15 PM.png

And the Panner block settings were:

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.45.41 PM.png

A thread by @Danny Hayoun and @LeonC talking about the stereo Magnatone amplifer that did both stereo panning and some vibrato effect had me wondering if I could cobble together something similarly dimensional and lush in the Axe-Fx III using a couple of blocks around an AMP and CAB pair.

I sat down tonight to try.

I didn't really get close to the Magnatone sound, but as I was flipping things around looking for the right combination I hit upon this pretty spectacular combo of a harmonic tremolo block followed by a stereo panning block.

With a light touch on the mix and width and using different frequencies for both of the effects it really comes alive and is a blast to play through.

The preset, unfortunately, uses some of @austinbuddy's fine work for the AMP and CAB block setup so I can't share it, but the important block layout was: DRV > AMP > TREM (Harmonic) > CAB > PAN (Stereo).

Harmonic Tremolo block settings were:

View attachment 55242

And the Panner block settings were:

View attachment 55243

Hey man,

So glad to have awakened the whole magnatone thing and that it inspired you to bust out the tools and chisel away at that sound. If you don’t mind sharing which Austin buddy amp you used, those of us who have the naked amps pack could use that info...

Hey man,

So glad to have awakened the whole magnatone thing and that it inspired you to bust out the tools and chisel away at that sound. If you don’t mind sharing which Austin buddy amp you used, those of us who have the naked amps pack could use that info...
It was:

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 9.32.12 AM.png

No changes to the AMP or CAB block. Delay was Mono Tape with light mix.

Edit: DRV block was on too. Tone of Kings. Drive ~7. Tone at 5. Level at ~8.

Last edited:
Sounds very much like a vibe.

I’ve always found harmonic tremolo to do a pretty good vibe effect. Used to jam with a buddy who used a Flint with the harmonic trem setting for a lot of classic univive tracks and it really sounded great.

I don’t know why Fender didn’t continue it on the old brown face amps, guess optical tremolo was cheaper ? Certainly didn’t sound as cool as a swampy bias trem, or the swirly harmonic trem they used to have

I'm revisiting this one because I own a Twilighter Stereo, the one with the magic Stereo Pitch Shifting Vibrato. Ted sent me one on the proviso that I demo his entire range. That didn't eventuate because Covid had its way but I'm looking forward to doing it someday. Anyway, I've got the big daddy amp and it's a jaw-dropping sound. Something special to be in the room with. I've made a few videos featuring it over the last year or so (see link below). The closest I can get with the Axe-FX III (so far) is here in this preset (thank you for the inspiration, Ian!). Use a Tele or something with singles. I'll keep working on it but it's a tough one!

Attachments

• Magnaphony Twilighter Stereo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Is it me or does the rate of hysteresis in the panning on that amp vary inversely to the pan rate?

I'm revisiting this one because I own a Twilighter Stereo, the one with the magic Stereo Pitch Shifting Vibrato. Ted sent me one on the proviso that I demo his entire range. That didn't eventuate because Covid had it's way but I'm looking forward to doing it someday. Anyway, I've got the big daddy amp and it's a jaw-dropping sound. Something special to be in the room with. I've made a few videos featuring it over the last year or so (see link below). The closest I can get with the Axe-FX III (so far) is here in this preset (thank you for the inspiration, Ian!). Use a Tele or something with singles. I'll keep working on it but it's a tough one!

Whoa, that guitar+amp sound fantastic, with and without the vibrato.

I'm revisiting this one because I own a Twilighter Stereo, the one with the magic Stereo Pitch Shifting Vibrato. Ted sent me one on the proviso that I demo his entire range. That didn't eventuate because Covid had its way but I'm looking forward to doing it someday. Anyway, I've got the big daddy amp and it's a jaw-dropping sound. Something special to be in the room with. I've made a few videos featuring it over the last year or so (see link below). The closest I can get with the Axe-FX III (so far) is here in this preset (thank you for the inspiration, Ian!). Use a Tele or something with singles. I'll keep working on it but it's a tough one!

Man, that sounds so good! Thank you for the effect too!
IMG_4492.JPG
Without diving into the whole stereo live thing, I really enjoy playing in stereo around the house. I grabbed one of those little stereo Swarts a little while back so my kids could hear me play and practice- and boy does it sound huge! Wide as a bus.
The TV Jones baritone doesn't hurt either!

Aww man. Now I'm shopping Danelectro baritones. :D

Mark Lettieri just released his second baritone album. He did two live videos talking about the tracks, answering questions and playing and discussing the baritones used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom