Stereo Drive Block?

Birdy

Inspired
I often use the Drive Block as a preamp of sort AFTER the Amp and Cab Blocks on distorted tones, to shape them a bit more to my taste.
But I've noticed that the Drive Block is actually mono, and will either sum the stereo channels or use just one of them.

I don't mind it when I'm playing simple dry rhythm, but when I play some lead tones I want to use the stereo room feature on the Cab Block, and the Drive Block just makes it in to mono.

Am I missing something?
Is there a way to make the Drive Block stereo, other than use 2 of it?

Thanks!

Put it after the amp block, but before the cab block. OR, use the preamp section in the cab block for your tone shaping?

Just curious what exactly you achieve with your technique?

Have you tried using the preamp tab in the Cab block instead?

Only if it can be disabled or selected because a stereo drive block would cost more CPU. Besides you can already do this with a 2nd drive block.
Yes, of course, just as an option that can be enabled/disabled.

Just curious what exactly you achieve with your technique?

Have you tried using the preamp tab in the Cab block instead?
I use it mainly on high gain sounds, it tames the super high frequencies that tend to sound like they are "always there".
And it increases the overall responsiveness of the tone.
I can upload an example if you want.

I use it mainly on high gain sounds, it tames the super high frequencies that tend to sound like they are "always there".

You've got all the required parameters to your disposal in the Amp and Cab block.

By definition, a stereo drive block is actually two mono Drive blocks. The Axe only has enough resources for two Drive blocks. If you made one of them a stereo block, then you could only have one Drive block in your preset. But what if you already have a Drive block in your preset? Should the Axe automatically delete your existing Drive block that you worked so hard on? Implementing a stereo Drive block could get complicated...

Personally I'd love it if we had the option to run either one stereo drive block or two mono drive blocks. Same with amps.

Sometimes I want distortion after a stereo effect. Often I use this thing as a studio effect on drum loops and the like.

You can match two mono blocks by copy/paste in axe edit but it's a pretty clunky workaround.

You've got all the required parameters to your disposal in the Amp and Cab block.
Not quite actually...
I use them both together, the cab preamp doesn't clip the way the "preamp" settings do on the drive block, it's also less responsive.
At least that's how I feel :grin:

By definition, a stereo drive block is actually two mono Drive blocks. The Axe only has enough resources for two Drive blocks. If you made one of them a stereo block, then you could only have one Drive block in your preset. But what if you already have a Drive block in your preset? Should the Axe automatically delete your existing Drive block that you worked so hard on? Implementing a stereo Drive block could get complicated...
You are right in terms of how it works, but the solution is very simple.
You'll be able to chose between stereo and mono, just like you can currently select L/R/L+R
You wouldn't be able to choose stereo if you already have 2 drive blocks placed.
And you wouldn't be able to place a second drive block if you have the first set to stereo.

There's already a similar thing going on with dual super hi res cabs (where it dials down the resolution automatically when you have 2 cabs or something like that)

Personally I'd love it if we had the option to run either one stereo drive block or two mono drive blocks. Same with amps.

Sometimes I want distortion after a stereo effect. Often I use this thing as a studio effect on drum loops and the like.

You can match two mono blocks by copy/paste in axe edit but it's a pretty clunky workaround.
+1;)

I think the reason a stereo drive block won't happen is because it doesn't effect users as a whole. 99.999999999999999% of people put the drive before the amp as that is where it sounds good.

Yes, of course, just as an option that can be enabled/disabled.

I actually don't care for the drive block that much because it's too prone to killing a high gain preset and introduces mud. I'm going to use the preamp option and see how that works in my high gain patches

Back
Top Bottom