Stereo Cab issues?

wake911

Experienced
So, just got my axe II. Plugged it into my newly re-wired Stereo Cab ( Carvin 4x12 with a control plate with 2 jacks, selector switch, hooked up correctly, 99.99% sure)

The sound is bad, very harsh treble,not much bass response, just sounds poor (cab sims off, PA sims on with Art SLA-2) (sounds almost as like sending to FRFR with cab sims off, but not quite that bad.)

Now, that is only for stereo output of Axe. If i go Mono, great full tone through the same amp and speakers (either L+R sum, or L>R)

Plugged into headphones stereo output, sounds great. Same with studio monitors. (KRK Rokits), and recording, so the tone is good in stereo, just not through my 4x12

My question is this. Does the fact that the 4 speakers (despite being on seperate inputs) still being in the same box affects my stereo sound that much? Causing that much of a phase issue? I've NEVER used stereo in a single cab before, only split apart in different enclosures. So totally ignorant of the issues that can arise. Would building a barrier between R and L do anything?

Is it a lost cause? just say forget it and continue making cool sounds in mono? I mean the goal was to have a stereo stage volume through my amp, and then send stereo to FOH as well, to try and fill out the sound a little better, not big deal if can't.

Or the polarity in either one cable from the Axe to the SLA-2
or one of the speaker cables is inverted.

hmmm, so i checked the wiring, everything looks good. Then i tried different cables from the axe to sla, nothing changed.

Then I tried something with a dual amp/dual cab preset. I just made shunts on line 2 after the cab go to the end, and the same after the cab on line 3. Panned hard L and hard R on each line, and the preset sounded AWESOME.
This proves to me there is some cancellation going on, so i need to decide if its really worth the effort of re-doing all the presets to work with only this stereo cab. I'm thinking....nope, maybe in the future look into it again. Mono will keep setups much easier anyways, haha. Oh well it was a good idea and fun to wire it up. (and Nameless Streets sounds AWESOME, ha)

Thanks for the ideas though, it definently made me look into my setup a bit more, and learned about panning the different lines, which is fun.

Is one side wired out of phase? Maybe in the speaker box or perhaps the cable. That would cause a significant loss of bass and "guts".

I have 3 sets of presets.. 1 for plugging into a tube power amp into a 1x12 evm12l cab, 1 for my rokit monitors, and one for my headphones. I'm a tweaker at heart and dive into the adv pages.. At first you might think there is a lot of overlapping with the different parameters/EQing, but there are some definite interactive parameters and unless you take the time to just spin the knobs then you're missing out.. Our ears and tastes are all different but the Axe-Fx is the greatest kitchen, orchestra, paintbrush we have at our disposal currently to cater to our "needs."

Hi,
Well, I get my AXEFX2 today. Will be hooking it up to my Matrix amp and a Stereo 1960A Cab.
My EVM12l Stereo Cab is at rehearsdal hall for now.

Will report later !!

Back
Top Bottom