Steel Guitar Black Box in a Front of Axe

seems pretty cool, but rather expensive. I used a siegmund missing link micro-tube clean boost, followed by a bbe sonic stomp to warm up my input signal a bit in front of my ultra. it made a pleasant difference so I thought I would probably need to do the same with my axe fx II, but I was able to dial in a better patch without anything up front... so yeah, i'm good :) . ART makes something similar for around $30, I think.

anywho, it'd still be neat to try though. but i'm afraid adding it up front would make the axefx II sound even sweeter and i'm trying to keep my live rig simple.

According to their web site, the Black Box does two things:

1. Buffer the guitar signal by using a high input impedence;
  2. Warm up the sound by adding a tube stage.

The Black Box has an input impedence range of 33 K to 1 Meg. The Axe's range is 22 K to 1 Meg. So the the Black Box gives no buffering advantage over the Axe.

The other claimed advantage is tube warmth, as compared to a solid-state buffer pedal. The Axe already has marvelously accurate tube emulation. If you want more than the amp block gives you, throw a Tube Drive in front of the amp, and back it way off. Or drop in a Tube Pre amp block in front of the amp you're using.

I've never played through this device, so I can't tell you for sure what it will sound like. But based on the above, I'm inclined to save the $300 for something else, and get my tube warmth from the black box I already bought. :)

Give it a try. and let us know the result. The revelation tube preamp for steel guitar could make the AXE more attractive to ...ehhh ....steelguitar players. - AAEN

Seems to be similar to a VHT Valvulator which is 1/2 the price. By the way, the Valvulator works well and also allows pedal powering.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DnIiUbPL0

Check out what he says about the black box. Not really used as a booster as much as a signal cleaner
I'm not sure what that means. You can't clean up a signal that's "dirty" to begin with, unless you shave off entire portions of the spectrum, and that'll color your tone for sure. But if he likes it, that's all that matters.

Come to think of it, I never thought of single-coil pickups as "wooly." :)

I don't know. Never tried it personally. But I may give it a shot and see how it sounds. They have a return policy so if I don't hear much of anything or if it colors the tone too much I can send it right back.

I'm not sure what that means. You can't clean up a signal that's "dirty" to begin with, unless you shave off entire portions of the spectrum, and that'll color your tone for sure. But if he likes it, that's all that matters.

Come to think of it, I never thought of single-coil pickups as "wooly." :)

The guys from Umphree's McGee all use them, bass and both guitar players. Jake uses it in front of pedal board then into Fuchs ODD 50. Both guitar players have stellar live tone.
Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know. Never tried it personally. But I may give it a shot and see how it sounds. They have a return policy so if I don't hear much of anything or if it colors the tone too much I can send it right back.

yea, they have a return policy, just note that it's : ALL SALES ARE FINAL :)))))

my secret weapon.

cathode followers that is, I've always used some type whether a valvulator, sarno or vox v491. for me the axe 2 does a great job at its input , comparatively the real tube wins however.

Ive done tones of A|B testing first with an ultra and now the 2. the symbiotic relationship between passive pickup and first grid is unique and nothing compares to the real thing thus far IMO.

Just wanted to share my experience with the Sarno Black "Magic" Box and saw this old thread. I have never spent the time to post anything in the forum but felt I needed to share as it seems there is very little out there at the moment.

The BB is absolutely perfect with the AxeFx! It really does wonders to the tone and feel but does it in a very subtle and transparent way. For me, I can get my tone to about 90-95% to how I want it just with the AxeFx. The BB gives me that elusive 5-10% I've been missing. To me, that 5-10% makes all the difference. It really make the sounds more authentic/natural if I dare say. It is NOT a clean boost or a sonic maximizer or an EQ thing.

The tones I use are mostly clean and low-to-mid gain and I usually just play thru headphones and monitors. The BB seems to the give the notes some added weight/body without the need to ad more gain or a boost. I sometimes also play the AxeFx thru a tube amp. The improvements are more subtle but still there none the less.

1. More tube amp feel and attack
2. More 3D sounding
3. More clarity and top-end without the slight fizz / harshness
yada yada yada...

Essentially, it gives you a more polished version of the tone you already have from the AxeFx. With enough time and tweaking, the tones from the AxeFx are already killer but the BB just gives you that added authenticity that removes any hint you are playing thru a modeler.

Sorry, I could not post any samples. My playing would not do it any justice and the as mentioned the benefits are subtle and would probably not translate well over YT.

Again, I just wanted to share my experience especially to those at a crossroad with their AxeFx. If you love the flexibility and general tones you are getting from the AxeFx but just feel that a little something is missing then you can/should look into this other Black "Magic" Box from Brad Sarno =)

Back
Top Bottom