Not a Bug Static noise just on certain notes

jowala

I've been hearing a static sound for the past several weeks across multiple presets. It's been bugging me enough that I spent some time trying to track down the source, and I think I've definitely got it narrowed down to the FM9. With a very simple patch, and no other pedals I'm still getting the sound both through the SPDIF and USB interfaces.

It sounds like a second layer of digital noise over the original signal. Almost like a ring mod. The static doesn't change in volume if I change the guitar volume. It also only seems to affect some notes, but it's very repeatable. It's most noticeable playing a B on the G and D strings. I hear it even if the chain is just In 1 -> Tube Pre -> Cab -> Out 1. The type or turning off the noise gate has no effect. I've attached a recording. I'm moving through some notes so you can hear it only affects certain notes, and it's completely repeatable.

Attachments

• fm9noise.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Turn off your noise gate, and see what happens.

Last edited:
Physical pickup resonance in the guitar? (Does it change if you press down on a pickup housing while playing?)

Tremolo springs if you have them? The resonance of those can definitely vary by what notes are played and can sound like a ring mod. I put some narrow plastic tubing in mine and that sorted it.

Reactions: Rex
Following up here that I identified the cause. It turned out to be a bad cable. I've never heard of a cable having connection issues based on the note played. The only thing I can imagine is that the particular resonance of certain notes was having an effect on the electrical connection. That would also explain the "ring mod" effect if the electrical connection was shorting out at the same frequency as the note. Just changing the angle of the cable about 30 degrees will stop the static sound.

Back
Top Bottom