Static Crackle Guitar Noise Problem

If you genuinely have a problem with a fractal sound, then post your preset, and perhaps a dry DI of your guitar track.
I agree that sharing his preset and raw non-static guitar track would be a Good First Step.

Attached my axefx3 mk2 preset. Cannot attach WAV or MP3 dry non-static guitar track, added soundcloud of it.

Also, maybe try a less bright IR? Experiment with something that is a bit fatter sounding.

Agreed, the presence is a bit high and in the output EQ section in Axe edit 3 I have boosted the highs. But even if I roll off the highs there is still noise. I experimented with less bright IRs and still the same issue.

The Input Block noise gate has a default setting so turn it all the way down/off and see if the static can be heard. If it can, then you can troubleshoot the cause.

I tried adjusting the noise gate but the issue still persists (turning it all down).

Are you having the issue when you are playing directly through the Axe III or just when reamping?

Playing directly through AXE via USB to PC.

Have you had a careful look at levels through every block on the layout screen?
I have tested a lot with the input and output gain (Insert and Out block) in AXE edit but I almost never adjust the input or output fader in the actual DAW (Cubase 7). The input gain is always hovering around 0 dB in AxeFX edit and I usually don't touch this knob. In the AXE edit, the output level (both left and right) should not go into the red above 0.0 dB right? I do not see the signal clip (go red) in the input or output channel in Cubase.

Check your computer system with Latency Monitor.
Will try this, thanks.

The problem is with your computer.
if it's "only" when you add VST effects then it sounds like something wrong on the computer side if it only happens when you use VSTs.
You mentioned using various audio interfaces does that include just the axe as the only interface?
Could be, will try another PC. I’ll try testing it with only the necessary cables plugged in, I do have two USB hubs connected. I do not use a power conditioner, I will try disabling wifi and bluetooth. I do have multiple interfaces connected. I may try installing my DAW Cubase 7 on the SSD (same drive that OS is on) to see if it will make a difference.

Last edited:
Did you monitor the pre-fader input level? The post-fader level can be "OK" and not clipping while the pre-fader level is clipping.
What DAW are you using?
Did you use USB from the Axe III into the DAW or into the interface first?
Yes I monitor the prefader input. USB from AXE to PC to Cubase 7 (no interface between axe and PC). I don't usually have an issue with the input and output faders in the DAW as I don't adjust them. On AXE edit, I also don't normally touch the input. I try and balance the amp and cab level knobs and make sure the output block level does not go into the red on the left and right channels

I would suggest trying it on a different computer.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I will try a different computer.

Could be computer, and could be your monitoring system. Are they on the same electrical circuit?
Yes, they are. I will try adjusting.

Last edited:
Cannot attach WAV or MP3 dry non-static guitar track, added soundcloud of it.

That is a shame. It could be very helpful.

A common mistake is to bring the level of the dry signal 'up' too much when recording into DAW. Some folks seem to think the dry signal should look the same in the meters as an already amplified signal.....they should not look the same.
A DI signal should appear a lot lower on the meter before amplification.

This may or may not be related to your problem, but worth baring in mind anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom