State of the Union for FAS - what's next for Axe Fx and more

Considering the firmware and hardware upgrades since the original Axe 2 Mk1 (the Mk2, XL and XL+, Quantum 1-7) you could argue we're well past Axe3 status as is. You're still going to get firmware support and warranty support if you buy an XL+ now and they sound pretty darn good.

As I See It Yes, Ask Again Later, Better Not Tell You Now, Cannot Predict Now, Concentrate and Ask Again, Don't Count On It, It Is Certain, It Is Decidely So, Most Likely, My Reply Is No, My Sources Say No, Outlook Good, Outlook Not So Good, Reply Hazy Try Again, Signs Point to Yes, Very Doubtful, Without A Doubt, Yes, Yes - Definitely, You May Rely On It
You 'da man!!! A true fan.

In addition to the wisdom I gained from the 8 Ball, I also consult my "Yes Man". My staff, (when I was working) gave me my Yes Man (because I so dislike the real live version of the consummate ass kisser) at our annual department meeting. My Yes Man is my go-to guy. His answers never disappoint me. He has been a trusted advisor for the better part of 20 years. When prompted he says invaluable stuff like, "wow! good one!" "How do you do it"? "Gee, I wish I'd thought of that!" and many more. And don't even get me started on my Ouija Board.

Buy a used unit. Or even a new AX8. That way, you won't lose much money when a new one comes out.

It's always nice to buy the latest unit right when it comes out. But:
* You've got to get on the train at some point.
* It's better to get on now (and lose a little cash) than to wait and wait and wait.

But @StickMan said it best:
Computers are always about the software, not the hardware.
The hardware is just a vehicle to run the software.
And the very latest Fractal software just came out!
You could be running it right now!

Lol. Classic thread.
Too bad all the fools of the past recorded albums with reel to reel. They should have waited for the DAW , so "cut" didn't need to be done with a knife.

I'm in the market for a new Axe Fx and controller, but to be honest, it's a tough time to pull the trigger on them given the current landscape. For example, the current iteration of the hardware has been out for quite a while. The TigerSHARC is hitting end of life. Competitors are releasing new products.

You'd better wait. Somebody else might release something cool.

I for one am glad there's no Axe FX III in sight yet. And that I bought the last uber version of the Axe FX II. It was expensive enough as it is, now I'm at least good to go for a couple of years. And even if the Axe FX III were to come out tomorrow I would still leave the first versions to the early adopters and enjoy their wailing and gnashing of teeth once the final uber edition comes out. And then I'll get one. I might even get me some cheap 2nd hand Axe FX II XL+ until then.

When I buy my Axe fx I had no chance to try it before buying. I have since 2013 with my MK2. And I have not used anything else since then, other than my Ax fx 2. At that time I had that money and the trigger. Just buy You will not regret!

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to move forward with ordering.
I've been the proud owner of an XL for the best part of three weeks and honestly, it's the absolute best purchase I've ever made since starting to play guitar 19 years ago. I've sold all my other gear as it's just not needed or even half as good as the Axe FX, and have a shed load of money in the bank now (ready for a guitar!) :) Enjoy!!!

I remember trying to find similar info back when I bought my Ultra. The Axe II came out literally 4-5 months after haha. The Ultra was still awesome and I kept it for a year getting familiar with it then sold and upgraded to the Axe II. no regrets

Similar story here. I waited to buy an AxeFX (Standard/Ultra) until I heard sound samples that, to my ears, were indistinguishable from a mic'd amp recorded (as I intended to use it for recording). For me that was firmware version 11.0 for the Standard/Ultra units. Thirty days after I received my Ultra the AxeFX II was officially announced and order fulfillment followed soon thereafter.

How did this affect me? Well, to be perfectly honest I was a bit put off. This lasted as long as it took me to plug back into my AxeFX Ultra and start playing again. My big, fat grin returned and I got back to the business of making and playing music.

I was satisfied enough to sell my tube amp's and not look back. That was about 6 years ago and I've never looked back.

As I had with the AxeFX Standard and (later) Ultra models I watched / listened to progress with the AxeFX II with interest but waited a while to upgrade (about 1 year or so). Just as I had with the Ultra I waited to upgrade until I heard recorded audio that showed significant improvement over the Ultra. Significant improvement is a matter of perspective of course. For the AxeFX II I can't remember what it is exactly that caught my ear. When it did I prepared to sell the Ultra and ordered a II. After receiving the II and taking it for a spin I felt confident that I made the right choice. However, even with the 'new and improved' AxeFX II in hand I still felt the Ultra would be a very useful tool to keep on hand.

The Ultra had this properly processed, album ready vibe to its sound that made it a joy to use for recording. At that time the AxeFX II was, by contrast, a bit more like working with a mic'd raw amp and cab leaving the process of making a polished, album-ready sound up to the user. Unfortunately my budget wouldn't allow for me to keep both and so I sold my Ultra.

It's worth noting that I took less than a $300 hit selling my outdated, EOL AxeFX Ultra and bought my AxeFX II during a sale making the upgrade an easy decision. It's also worth mentioning that my AxeFX II is a Mk I unit. The AxeFX II Mk I & Mk II units are nearly out of boot ROM space and will reach a point (likely soon) where firmware updates will no longer fit. I suppose in a perfect world with more disposable income that I would happily buy an AxeFX II XL+ and sell my II Mk I. Currently, though, I'm so pleased with the state of the modeling, IR processing, and effects that I can see no reason to give this lateral change any serious thought. Some 'killer app' (from my perspective) feature, effect upgrade, or major modeling overhaul would need to happen before I'd have a reason to look beyond the AxeFX II that I currently own.

My approach to the next gen AxeFX (III?) will follow the same path I took in considering upgrading from the AxeFX Ultra to the AxeFX II - it'll happen when I hear a significant improvement over the AxeFX II. If history is any indication I'll not likely take a big financial hit selling my AxeFX II if/when this happens.

Since Cliff looks to be A significant at least a couple years out from releasing a next gen AxeFX this is an excellent time to consider purchasing a new AxeFX II XL+ (or a used AxeFX II). Looking forward toward a potential future product in lieu of enjoying a fantastic existing product may not be such a wise choice. So long as the AxeFX II XL & XL+ and the AX-8 units are still capable of hosting further developed amp modeling (and whatever else may follow) and Tiger SHARC processor stock holds out we're not likely to see an AxeFX III.

If your truly interested in getting an AxeFX I'd say you could not pick a better time than now (following what was most likely the most significant jump forward in realistic modeling of so many great tube guitar amps.

Even if a AXe Fx3 was announced today, it would have to be pretty damn amazing to make me want to off my XL+.
Well it has already reached its limit, It needs more ram a better processor, if a Samsung 7 edge phone has a 2200 MHZ processor why can't fractal put a better processor (S) instead of the dual 600 MHZ it has.
i have read that some players and even Steve Vai himself saying or referring that he uses some external units for some things because the DSP is not sufficient enough to run all the things he wants. also have heard that some enhancers that are popular are not Recreatable on the fractal, maybe copyright or something. What about a better screen with modern OLED technology maybe make the FX III could use a 3 space unit as i heard people mentioning it . How about multiple outputs..... the list goes on.........

Well it has already reached its limit, It needs more ram a better processor, if a Samsung 7 edge phone has a 2200 MHZ processor why can't fractal put a better processor (S) instead of the dual 600 MHZ it has.
i have read that some players and even Steve Vai himself saying or referring that he uses some external units for some things because the DSP is not sufficient enough to run all the things he wants. also have heard that some enhancers that are popular are not Recreatable on the fractal, maybe copyright or something. What about a better screen with modern OLED technology maybe make the FX III could use a 3 space unit as i heard people mentioning it . How about multiple outputs..... the list goes on.........

Back
Top Bottom