State of the Union for FAS - what's next for Axe Fx and more

Yes, I've searched extensively and read that and other threads. However, it is still incredibly ambiguous and doesn't put my mind (and likely other potential buyers' minds) at ease given the landscape.

I guess I'm not understanding how your mind is going to be eased. Like others have said - if you like it - buy it - if you don't, don't. Its a piece of computer equipment more or less - computers and electronics get outdated, improvements get made - its a fact of life. Cars get outdated - you buy a 2016 model - and in 2017 they come out with all these improvements over the model you got.
And really - do amps ever get outdated? How many amps do we have that are from the 60's in this thing?
It provides a great tone - does great tone get outdated?

If you want great tone, buy FAS. If you want to know the future with certainty, try the Magic 8 Ball. It's never wrong.
As I See It Yes, Ask Again Later, Better Not Tell You Now, Cannot Predict Now, Concentrate and Ask Again, Don't Count On It, It Is Certain, It Is Decidely So, Most Likely, My Reply Is No, My Sources Say No, Outlook Good, Outlook Not So Good, Reply Hazy Try Again, Signs Point to Yes, Very Doubtful, Without A Doubt, Yes, Yes - Definitely, You May Rely On It

No worries. If you have anxiety over the impending release of the Axe-III after purchasing your Axe-II, there's no rule saying you have to use it as a preamp. Here's reassurance that the Axe-II makes a great cat bed.

Still lots of life in the AxeFx II, a new processor standard would be needed to really change things but I would like to see a new interface standard. Specifically, as many rotary/push encoders as possible, preferably with their own little OLED displays. However, that would raise cost greatly. But I would buy it.

The hardware is NOT the key element of the product. The modelling firmware IS the product, and the reason to buy FAS over some other brand. AFAIK, there is no sound difference between the 10 year old product and the XL+.

Putting off buying an XL+ because a newer hardware platform might be released in the next few years is just woolie thinking in my opinion.

I got by with an Ultra for 9 years. I only finally upgraded because a few generations had passed. My XL+ will probably last as long.

Pretty sure Cliff said somewhere that they have enough stock of processors for many years if production.
Yes, the chip is end of life, but capability wise there is still processing overhead available.

If you knew the perfect time to buy anything in any marketplace it would be called insider trading!

The perfect time to buy this modeller was yesterday, the next best time is today!

Sigh. More fishing for an announcement.

If you have the willy's about spending the money, then I would suggest TRYING it before asking a bit of a ridiculous question. (i.e., no manufacturer would EVER say 'Oh! Hold off, because in a few months I'm coming out with a different one!)

There's no new one on the horizon. The 'math' does not work with Fractal. They constantly improve the product, and it's in a place where it's frighteningly impressive. Miles above the competition.

Buy it, try it. It's the best out there.

R

These days you even have an "entry level" unit in the AX8. If your worry is a new flagship any time soon, get the AX8 and find out if Fractal is for you or not at a limited investment. You might even want to keep it for an easy gigging rig or extra processing power whenever you decide to upgrade.

Beware...there might be an Axe FX IV to be released after the Axe FX III :)

BTW, ...still waiting for this year's Axe FX April fools' day joke

Last edited:
As I See It Yes, Ask Again Later, Better Not Tell You Now, Cannot Predict Now, Concentrate and Ask Again, Don't Count On It, It Is Certain, It Is Decidely So, Most Likely, My Reply Is No, My Sources Say No, Outlook Good, Outlook Not So Good, Reply Hazy Try Again, Signs Point to Yes, Very Doubtful, Without A Doubt, Yes, Yes - Definitely, You May Rely On It
You left out "Soon"!

Back
Top Bottom