Star Wars Episode VII Teaser Trailer

The look is pretty cool IMO - multiple landscapes, snow, water, desert. It looks very JJ Abrams, kind of like the Star Trek reboot.
It is a testament to the power of the original trilogy that there is so much interest in this, given the debacle of episodes 1-3.

I was surprised I liked the trailer since I didn't like JJ's take on the Star Trek movies at all; I think he may be a better fit in the Star Wars universe. I liked the new lightsaber...very cool!

Apparently I have to avoid the entire internet until December 18th 2015. I don't want to see any trailers, screenies, leaks, interviews, anything. I can see how the net will find a way to give away the ENTIRE plot of the movie before it even comes out.

I do it all the time. It's easier than you think.....

Awesome!!!!
Love the look at the new light saber too!!
Phatness

Yeah....uh.....wonder how he gets around that......

BUT WAIT! When I was going to say 'he'.....it occurred to me, the dark one is a 'she'. Wait an see. (Although, haven't these stories been written as books years ago?....)

I was thinking more along the lines of "I should send him to business school".

The next Gordon Gecko. Really, though, that's just the tip of the ice berg. Star Wars continues to ignore the most significant ideas in SF since the 50s. At thirteen, I was imagining immortality, and that was mainly from extrapolating from things like Thundercats and Voltron. Any kid these days who isn't thinking as sharply by at least ten is a sad sack.

Last edited:
Whoever designed the red lightsaber with the crossguard is a fekking IDIOT. Unless you want to cut your hand off at the wrist with the quillions, or fight with an extremely limited range of movement, it's useless as a "sword" of any kind.

I grew up swordfighting and making swords.

Whoever designed the red lightsaber with the crossguard is a fekking IDIOT. Unless you want to cut your hand off at the wrist with the quillions, or fight with an extremely limited range of movement, it's useless as a "sword" of any kind.

It's a sword that's made of laser that stops at an set length. Lightsabers totally crap in the face of physics. If you sit there and bitch about how the user would cut their hand off then you're doing it wrong. The user won't cut their own hand off with it unless that's part of the narrative. Learn how to just sit back and enjoy some wonder for once.

It's a sword that's made of laser that stops at an set length. Lightsabers totally crap in the face of physics. If you sit there and bitch about how the user would cut their hand off then you're doing it wrong. The user won't cut their own hand off with it unless that's part of the narrative. Learn how to just sit back and enjoy some wonder for once.

To paraphrase Penny Arcade, it is a show about Space Wizards from the Future Past. The "keeping things realistic" boat has kinda sailed...

To paraphrase Penny Arcade, it is a show about Space Wizards from the Future Past. The "keeping things realistic" boat has kinda sailed...

Right? I'm not saying people should just gobble up whatever popcorn bs gets shoveled their way, but, after seeing people react negatively to this and to the Jurassic World trailer, it just seems like there are a lot of people that are just jaded and have no sense of wonder left.

I was stupid. Over the last 6 month I'd read all the plot leaks and looked at all the leaked concept art and photos. And then, after convincing myself that what I read wasn't true, the trailer confirmed that it actually was. I didn't learn my lesson from doing the same thing with the prequel trilogy. Basically, I'm an idiot with no self control.

Last edited:

The Force must be strong with you to use this sword! :)

Sorry, but you're wrong. Disregard the light/lazer physics and narrative stuff altogether.

What I'm talking about here is the crossguard being "laser" as well. What happens when you use a sword? The sword swings around, rotates in the hand, in all manner of direction. With that design, if you cock your hand/wrist at any angle, the crossguard performs a nice amputation about midway between the wrist an elbow. If you'd like, I can shoot a short video of myself with one of my broadswords as an example.

I've got almost 20 years of swordfighting under my belt, and about 15 as a sword maker, including film props. I started my apprenticeship when I was about 12. I made my last sword in 1998.

Some pics of the old shop.

11.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

14.jpg

The old guy in the wheelchair was my teacher..as well as everyone else in that group.. Was the oldest living sword-maker in the US, possibly anywhere else. He passed away Februrary 28th 2012 at 90 years. He started making swords during the Korean war. The guy in bright armour behind him? Dragon Dronet, founder of Renegade Effects, and friend to Bob Anderson, the original Star Wars sword-master. The hot Asian chick behind him? The old guy's girlfriend...

we're a bunch of weirdos.
group.jpg

I'm not going to disregard the fact that it's a laser sword in a fantasy narrative.

Just like they ignored physics in the name of coming up with cool imagery when they came up with lightsabers in general, all that matters here is that it looks cool on screen.

So, you can continue to attempt to wow us with your sword fighting prowess; it doesn't matter one bit in the context of this.

I'm not going to disregard the fact that it's a laser sword in a fantasy narrative.

Just like they ignored physics in the name of coming up with cool imagery when they came up with lightsabers in general, all that matters here is that it looks cool on screen.

So, you can continue to attempt to wow us with your sword fighting prowess; it doesn't matter one bit in the context of this.

Not counting physics, which I don't care about when it comes to lightsabers (cause hell, they're cool as hell) nonfunctional design has always irritated the crap out of me, especially when it comes to weapons. Much like this useless "guitar".

jasper.jpg

jasper2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom