Standing up playing vs Sitting down -- Let's talk about it!

In addition to doing lots of various exercises and watching my posture, i also use a guitar support when sitting down. This allows me to get my guitar in perfect playing position while still having a straight back.

I use two kinds:

The dynarette classical guitar support and the Performaxe guitar support.

Another thing to consider is what you're standing on. At 58 with lots of hard miles on my frame my back aches after a 4 hour show, we started bringing padded floor mats to every show and I stand on one when practicing in the basement when I'm not sitting. These seemed to help quite a bit but not a 100% remedy. My posture sucks so I'll keep that more in mind going forward. None of us are getting any younger I'm afraid.

This is it. You hit it right on. Like I said the LP strap is so loose it falls off consistently when I'm sitting down.

It must be the strap.

Also do some straps carry the weight better than others? Could it be the quality of the strap?

I have these narrow/medium sized shoulders so I prefer thin strap (Almost like the stock fender straps) as opposed to a leather strap. I don't know if the strap type makes a difference.

I will try your tips.
Strap width will make a big difference in how the weight is distributed across and carried on the shoulder. A thinner strap, 2 inches, with a heavier guitar will dig into the shoulder causing you to adjust how you stand to compensate for any discomfort which I believe causes a majority of back issues for guitar players.

I use 3 inch garment or distressed leather straps and won't consider any strap less than 2.5 inches wide. Levy's and Franklin are two brands I've used that have very comfortable 3 inch straps. Distressed, glove or garment leather straps are much more comfortable than standard/regular leather straps. They can be pricey, but when it comes to comfort, there's really no substitute.

Practice the way you perform. On stage I stand, and I use IEMs, so that’s the way I rehearse. If I’m transcribing a song, or working out a guitar part, then I might sit in front of a computer screen. otherwise I’m on my feet.
Get a telecaster.
I get this. A short strap will lift the guitar to the right height. The benefit of a Telecaster compared with a Les Paul is that the neck is in front of you, where you can see it when needed, rather than towards your left shoulder where you have to crane your neck to see it.

Most of my practice time is sitting, but I gig standing up. I've just gotten used to it over the years. I adjust my straps to put the guitars in roughly the same position as when I'm sitting. (I don't use a strap when sitting.) I have a worn-out back and shoulders, so prefer lighter guitars when they fit the song. I stopped taking my 10 pound Les Paul to gigs and use a 6.5 pound PRS SE Zach Myers instead. My Strat is now the heaviest guitar I bring to gigs. I also stand on a padded rubber floor mat at gigs.
...None of us are getting any younger I'm afraid.
I am! I started counting backward when I hit 35. I'm back down to 4 now. 👍

Last edited:
I'll spare you a whole story of my experience hating playing standing and always struggling with it and experiments I've done trying to remedy it. Ultimately my issue has always been with the angle of the neck being to flat to the ground, with every guitar I've ever had...

Until now that is. I recently switched to a headless (Aristides HO6) for my main6 string guitar. It puts the neck in the position I want (pointing more up and down, and less level with the floor) naturally, and this has removed most of the issues I have with playing standing. Much less tension and fatigue in the forearm due to less rotation required, allows for more speed and accuracy, and longer play times. Not trying to exaggerate, but it's one of the only times a piece of gear (albeit quite expensive) has allowed such an improvement in my ability to play

I guess the lesson for me was just how important fitting ergonomics to your body can be.

I tried to adjust the strap on the GB LP today guys. Playing it was less painful.

But soon as I switched to the strat which never gives me pain if I ONLY use it and not the LP I got pain.

I guess the bending and twisting of taking off guitars and changing them up during songs. And bending down to plug in the guitar from the cable on the ground all adds up.

I am going to try to adjust my strat belt height as well.. Perhaps it TOO is not optimal.

I feel the GIbson was pretty tame today in terms of pain once I adjusted the strap.

I can't understand why the 7 lb strat is causing so much pain.

Before I do anything else let me adjust its strap as well and report back.

I sit when I play, how do you think they did it before the guitar strap was invented in the 1960s?

My left shoulder is pretty jacked up because of an old motorcycle accident. Standing and playing with a strap is okay for a short period of time, but that's about it. I sit to play, but that's not always easy either, as I don't have the best posture, and looking down is uncomfortable after a while. I've never tried it, but toyed with the idea of playing in front of a large mirror. I think it would take some programming to view the fretboard that way, but might not be too bad. It would allow for better posture anyway.

I set my strap length to dork mode.

So it is the same height whether I am standing or sitting. Then I don't see why it would matter your guitar is in the same position either way. It also happens to be ergonomically correct for wrist angle, etc.

I keep it there even when performing. Slinging your guitar low might look cool but you won't be doing yourself any favors playing wise.

I was playing blues jams for a very long time, each week, until I switched from g&l strat to Strandberg.
I mean even musicians were were not approving the way I look with this guitar strapped high :D

Don't worry you are in great company. Pat Metheny, Larry Cartlon, John McLaughlin, Matteo Mancuso ... (and so many more great technical players) all wear their guitars high.

I play standing up because I like to be able to move around, not jump or wiggle, just shift my position and look at players.

I can play while sitting, but it can be hard to find a comfortable position and it's more of a pain to get into a position to hear my gear and hear/avoid other gear.

I went through a phase when I was using Les Paul Customs a lot, and their weight became painful, so I went through a lot of straps hoping they'd help. I shifted their length, but only sitting would really reduce the strain. At that point an ES-335 helped more, and it was still pretty heavy. It was frustrating.

Since then, I switched to PRS guitars, which seem to be more ergonomic, in that they balance better, and their weight is consistent; even their "Les Paul" type, with its single-cutaway, is very comfortable. Their 509 covers lots of tonal bases, and the Special 22 Semi-hollow is almost as good but is light as can be and covers jazz, rock and blues, and even country nicely, so, between those and my Strats, I'm comfortable enough with regular leather straps, that I can stand for an hour at a time, then walk and sit for a bit and be good.

I tried to adjust the strap on the GB LP today guys. Playing it was less painful.

But soon as I switched to the strat which never gives me pain if I ONLY use it and not the LP I got pain.

I guess the bending and twisting of taking off guitars and changing them up during songs. And bending down to plug in the guitar from the cable on the ground all adds up.

I am going to try to adjust my strat belt height as well.. Perhaps it TOO is not optimal.

I feel the GIbson was pretty tame today in terms of pain once I adjusted the strap.

I can't understand why the 7 lb strat is causing so much pain.

Before I do anything else let me adjust its strap as well and report back.
Apparently it's not all about strength if you can't even twist while switching guitars. And comfort straps are just band aids. Look into flexibility and mobility training (Strength Side on YT is fantastic). It can help with disc bulges too. Maybe even some physical therapy.
Get some gymnastics rings and do especially ring hold and ring row (plus the other stuff). It'll stabilize all the other tiny muscles that a weight workouts simply overlooks.

Back
Top Bottom