Stand for small rack enclosure

Rex

Dignified but Approachable
What do you guys use for stands for your rack? Big racks are easy: just set 'em on the floor or on casters. But for small racks, it can be problematic to find something that will hold them safe and stable.

Set it on an amp or cab? Too much overhang front and back, and there can be handles in the way.

Set it on a chair? Way too unstable and tippy.

Set it on a table? Most stages don't have tables, and the tables on the floor are for paying customers.

Set it on the floor? You have to bend over to turn a knob, and your equipment is just begging to be kicked in the face.

I'm looking for a stable stand that will hold a small rack enclosure (2U to 6U) at least waist high, with maybe a little uptilt so you can really see your equipment. In your experience, what works best for you?

Here's a few suggestions for you:

The QuikLok BS317 Amp Stand looks like it will be very sturdy. You can lay the backside of a 2, 4 or 6 space rack on the lowest tier while having the front of the rack facing right at you for easy adjustments. It looks like you could adjust the angle too (45 degrees or so).

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=BS-317

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--QLKBS317

[attachment=2:1wk6it5o]Picture 4.png[/attachment:1wk6it5o]

The next one is the On Stage RS7705 Amp Stand. Not quite as sturdy but looks like it will suffice:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... bAodtVO2nA

[attachment=1:1wk6it5o]Picture 5.png[/attachment:1wk6it5o]

The Quik Lok BS-313 X Style Small Tilt Back Amp Stand BS313 may also suffice. It looks like half the width of the GLKBS317:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=BS-313

[attachment=0:1wk6it5o]Picture 6.png[/attachment:1wk6it5o]

I myself I'm looking for some after market attachment for SKB or Gator rack cases that DIYers could just retrofit on the rack cases that would allow them to work as stand too.

I use an Ultimate Amp Stand. Folds up in in to nearly nothing.

IMG_0002.JPG

Cool......!

I converted my 4 space shock rack and added wheel rollers and a roll away handle:

Wish there was something out there that I could attach to this thing (outer or inner) that would make it fold into a stand in itself and vice versa:

The guitar is my Custom Headless Aluminum Neck thru Bergeron Guitar!!

[attachment=0:1r0hprpp]AxeRack.jpg[/attachment:1r0hprpp]

I use a keyboard stand at practice. I noticed the keyboardist had an extra one laying around, so I set the height and size and it worked great. They are cheap and easy to port since they fold up long and narrow.

I own a a foldup up stand, which I cannot remember where I got it from. It is shaped like a 'T' when folded up. The 4 legs extend up 22-40" in height. You unfold the 'T' to make a 4 legged table and each leg can pivot in or outward to make a narrow or wider base. There is no table top, its just the supports and the center beam than make up area where the rack sits on. I use it alot and stack 2 or even 3 4RU cases on top of it. I think I paid about $80

Ive used amp stands they work too. I like that the Axe faces up at you, but being tall (and with older eyes now), it makes the seeing the parameters pretty much impossible for me. But on a gig for fast access to the input and output levels, and seeing the patch name/number is nice. I dont like the way the center of gravity on the amp stand makes its a little easy to tip. That could be my amp stand, but Ive used a couple and they all feel the same way to me.

I thought about one of these http://www.music123.com/On-Stage-Stands ... 9.Music123 but the foot print looks to cumbersome for most of the small clubs we play.

When space is tight I just take the 4 RU, set it on the side on the floor, plug in the foot board, plug into the FOH and play.

Here's my setup. I modified an Ultimate amp stand with a booster so the Axe is closer to my eyes and fingers.

390352713.jpg

a little pvc pipe and black spray paint:
390352720.jpg

390352721.jpg

Thanks for all the great tips. Some thoughts so far...

QuikLok BS317 amp stand: Nice. The uptilt is good. A couple of concerns, though. It leaves the rack fairly low (my fantasy involves not stooping over to tweak), and the lower tier is only 19" wide, so the weight of your rack would be supported by the back of the racked equipment instead of the by the rack enclosure. That's the trouble with amp stands; they assume a solid surface to rest on instead of the open back of a rack.

On-Stage RS7705 amp stand: The support arms are only 11" long. The front portion of the rack — usually the heaviest portion — will be unsupported.

Quik Lok BS-313 Amp Stand: The lower tier is only 10" wide. The back of your equipment would be supporting the rack's weight.

Ultimate Amp Stand: I like the idea (I'm a fan of Ultimate guitar stands), but it's so close to the floor. Also, with essentially zero width to the top support, I'm concerned that a blow to a top corner of the rack could send the rack spinning off the stand. iaresee: what are your thoughts about that?

Converted shock rack: Lovely idea for portability, but I still need a stand.

Quick Lok WS-540 (rmbaylin's "folds-into-a-T" stand): I actually tried one of these with high hopes once. I decided it was inadequate for reasons I can't remember. I'll have to dig it up and try it again. I agree with rmbaylin that amp stands in general seems a bit unstable and tippy for this purpose.

On-Stage Mix-400 Audio Mixer Stand: While it looks like it might be wobby, I think the footprint is actually smaller that that of a rack enclosure. It looks like it might be better suited to the freindly environment of the studio than the hostile environment of the stage. But I could be wrong. I've never seen one close up.

One other feature on the wish list: it would be nice if I could fit a powered wedge on the floor beneath the stand.

rmbaylin said:
I own a a foldup up stand, which I cannot remember where I got it from. It is shaped like a 'T' when folded up. The 4 legs extend up 22-40" in height. You unfold the 'T' to make a 4 legged table and each leg can pivot in or outward to make a narrow or wider base. There is no table top, its just the supports and the center beam than make up area where the rack sits on. I use it alot and stack 2 or even 3 4RU cases on top of it. I think I paid about $80.

I dug out my "fold-up-into-a-T" stand (mine is the Quik Lok WS-550; you probably have the W-540). After futzing around with it, I remembered why I was concerned about it. The legs don't lock into position when you swing them out. I'm concerned that if someone bumped into a leg they could kick it out from under the rack and send it crashing to the floor. As a regular user of that stand, what are your thoughts on that?

bluesdoc said:
Here's my setup. I modified an Ultimate amp stand with a booster so the Axe is closer to my eyes and fingers.

What is the PVC pipes for again? It does not show up in the rack photos? I can see them with the rack off. Cool idea by the way.

Rex said:
Thanks for all the great tips. Some thoughts so far...

QuikLok BS317 amp stand: Nice. The uptilt is good. A couple of concerns, though. It leaves the rack fairly low (my fantasy involves not stooping over to tweak), and the lower tier is only 19" wide, so the weight of your rack would be supported by the back of the racked equipment instead of the by the rack enclosure. That's the trouble with amp stands; they assume a solid surface to rest on instead of the open back of a rack.

It appears to me that the rack would be nicely situated within easy reach.....unless you're 6'5" or so in height.

It also appears to me that the sturdiness of most of these options is may or may not be ideal given our individual needs. The BS317 seems to be the most sturdy....... I wouldn't want to be constantly looking back on stage nervously with stage hands or sound guys constantly all over the place.

reclavea said:
bluesdoc said:

What is the PVC pipes for again? It does not show up in the rack photos? I can see them with the rack off. Cool idea by the way.
It raises the rack about 8" up from the stand arms for an amp.

I knocked the edges of the rack to see how unstable it might be in a live situation. It's not instant fail, but it got me thinking about some additional support for the ends of the rack to the floor. I'll mess around in my shop and see if I can come up with something that is user friendly, ie, works well while maintaining efficient portability. Some sort of folding arm arrangement...

bluesdoc said:
I knocked the edges of the rack to see how unstable it might be in a live situation. It's not instant fail, but it got me thinking about some additional support for the ends of the rack to the floor. I'll mess around in my shop and see if I can come up with something that is user friendly, ie, works well while maintaining efficient portability. Some sort of folding arm arrangement...

Can't wait to see what you comeup with, bluesdoc. Do keep us posted.

My gut says you may be headed in the right direction. Some things about the On-Stage RS7705 seem right, too: like your solution, the arms will actually contact the back of the rack case instead of the back of the equipment (they should be more than 11" long, though), and maybe a bit wider stance is in order.

With so many small rack enclosures being made, I'm surprised that no one is marketing a proper stand for them.

OP - the stand works well for me, but you are correct the legs dont lock. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add a small stud and wing nut assembly with a crossbrace to prevent the legs from moving. I've never had an issue with it folding up or anything dangerous, but I could see how that might be an issue.

Its a shame you can't just add telescoping legs to a 4RU or 6RU rack, where each leg locks into the one inside with a push in spring loaded ball check. Then put wheels on it and an extension handle. That would be a cool product. Rolls, protects, stands high enough for use.

rmbaylin said:
OP - the stand works well for me, but you are correct the legs dont lock. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add a small stud and wing nut assembly with a crossbrace to prevent the legs from moving. I've never had an issue with it folding up or anything dangerous, but I could see how that might be an issue.

The non-locking legs do make me nervous. Part of the problem is the fact that the larger version that I own is too wide. I have to toe in the legs to make it support a rack, and a bump of a couple of inches would completely remove the support from under the rack.

rmbaylin said:
Its a shame you can't just add telescoping legs to a 4RU or 6RU rack, where each leg locks into the one inside with a push in spring loaded ball check. Then put wheels on it and an extension handle. That would be a cool product. Rolls, protects, stands high enough for use.

That would be a cool product, indeed. But let's add a pin for safety's sake. Bump a spring-loaded ball check, and the leg collapses.

I've gone with a mobile solution that involves installing a pair of strap-locks to the rack sides and an extra guitar strap.

Guitar on the right, and axe-fx on the left. Works great for making quick preset edits.

Rex said:
I use the QuikLok BS317 amp stand to support my Axe-Fx Ultra in a Gator GR-4S four-space shallow rack case. The lower bar of the amp stand rests securely against the base of the rear rack rails, and not against the Axe-Fx or any of the other contents of the rack case.

It doesn't sway or wobble; the rack case stays firmly planted in place despite my occasional, er, vigorous jumping-around on stage. :D

I'm six feet tall and have no issues reaching the Axe-Fx's controls while on stage - no stooping or kneeling.

I'm pretty happy with this setup.

xrist04 said:
I use the QuikLok BS317 amp stand to support my Axe-Fx Ultra in a Gator GR-4S four-space shallow rack case. The lower bar of the amp stand rests securely against the base of the rear rack rails, and not against the Axe-Fx or any of the other contents of the rack case.

It doesn't sway or wobble; the rack case stays firmly planted in place despite my occasional, er, vigorous jumping-around on stage. :D

I'm six feet tall and have no issues reaching the Axe-Fx's controls while on stage - no stooping or kneeling.

I'm pretty happy with this setup.

Sounds intriguing. According to Quik Lok's specs, the bar on the BS317 is exactly 19" wide. Unfortunately, my 4U SDK rack case has no rear rails, and the space between the the side walls is 18-7/8" at the rear. That leaves only 1/16" of support on each side. If the case gets bumped 1/16", it will slip off the bar.

So it looks like the BS317 won't work for me. But thanks for the good and detailed information.

So, someone mentioned the potential instability of my little booster on the Ultimate amp stand. So, I got to work and did this:

390505055.jpg

390505057.jpg

390505059.jpg

390505061.jpg

390505063.jpg

It is very stable now. Just thought I'd share.

Nicely done, bluesdoc.

Ever get tempted to add a couple more pieces of PVC and leave the Ultimate stand at home? :D

Back
Top Bottom