SRV...RIP

My parents saw him live in Austin a few months before he died. I remember how devastated I felt when I heard about it. He was one the first guitar players I tried to emulate when I first started playing guitar, him and Jimi Page.

I saw that subject line and was like "...he died AGAIN? Sheesh... can't guitarists ever catch a break?"

Also: damn. That guy could make a guitar speak.

I saw him a few days before his death. The night after the show I attended a light tower fell just after the show ended and snapped the necks on his guitars. Had the fall been five minutes sooner it would have killed him. My luthier replaced the necks so the tour could continue.

I consider myself a music expert

He was 5 when I died- and didn't hear of him til i was probably 15 or so. Maybe 13-14...

I just checked and he died at 35.

I swear I thought he died damn near 60 and he was already in his late 50s...not 35

...drugs are bad
mmkay

He died pretty damn young- however- i swear I thought he was 20+ years older than he was- until I read this forum post just now and looked it up

I loved how SRV re-ignited the blues in a decade when shredding and wankery were prevalent. He was a great player with a lot of soul and fire in him.

I saw him twice in the year before he died, the first time 3 rows back right in front of him. I'll never forget when the lights dimmed and you could see silhouettes of people on the stage...I heard someone play a short 'is my amp on and working' riff and got a chill up my spine as you could instantly tell it was him doing that. I could hear his stage amps clearly and it was 'that tone', just there. He was over his demons and his playing was better then it ever was, and that show is a treasured memory. Always remembered....

lol. There are other clues in your post too (@Jeries).

Saw him in Los Angeles December 1989. SRV and Jeff Beck. Clapton joined them for an encore, but it was so damn loud I don't remember what they played. Great show, and I didn't appreciate what I was seeing. Stupid kid.

Also, I was NOT on drugs. Sane white guys didn't drive down Figueroa loaded in those days. I recall it was a pretty funky neighborhood then.

SRV was born October 3rd, 1954, not December 30th, so whilst he would have been 60 the day before this topic was started, it wouldn't have been his birthday.

Back
Top Bottom