Squealing/feedback problem..

I'm wondering if it's maybe the output level of the AX8 being a bit on the high side (IE it's hitting the input stage of the Matrix amp a bit too hot)?

The Roland cube would squeal too with a hot signal .... but probably more so than the Matrix as you'd be plugging into it's preamp before it's power amp/speaker.

Just a thought .....

Any string can start it, but at least on one of my strats the G string is the dominant one.. But as I said, this guitar doesn't cause squealing/feedback with a normal combo set to high (or even higher..) gain at the same (or even louder..) volume in the same room, so again, the problem is apparently not the guitar(s)..

So I had a similar problem when trying out my FRFR speakers and it was really annoying. Any sustained chord would almost immediately start feeding back and made playing really frustrating.
It still exists somewhat with my high-gain patches, but the thing that helped a ton is that trick that people mention around here of
>Going into the global EQ and completely killing the 2 highest bands.
Worked wonders. Give it a try if you haven't already.

So I had a similar problem when trying out my FRFR speakers and it was really annoying. Any sustained chord would almost immediately start feeding back and made playing really frustrating.
It still exists somewhat with my high-gain patches, but the thing that helped a ton is that trick that people mention around here of
>Going into the global EQ and completely killing the 2 highest bands.
Worked wonders. Give it a try if you haven't already.

Ok, I'll try that when I get the chance tonight. But I guess that will affect the sound quite substantially, especially with acoustic guitars? (or are these bands outside the human ear's capacity anyway..?)

Ok, I'll try that when I get the chance tonight. But I guess that will affect the sound quite substantially, especially with acoustic guitars? (or are these bands outside the human ear's capacity anyway..?)
You're right: those bands will affect acoustic tones. As an alternative, you could adjust High Cut in the cab. Since you won't be using the cab in your acoustic tones, those acoustic tones will not be affected by the Hi Cut.

You're right: those bands will affect acoustic tones. As an alternative, you could adjust High Cut in the cab. Since you won't be using the cab in your acoustic tones, those acoustic tones will not be affected by the Hi Cut.

Ok, thanks, I'll try that too..

I'm wondering if it's maybe the output level of the AX8 being a bit on the high side (IE it's hitting the input stage of the Matrix amp a bit too hot)?

The Roland cube would squeal too with a hot signal .... but probably more so than the Matrix as you'd be plugging into it's preamp before it's power amp/speaker.

Just a thought .....
I had the output level set relatively low, so I doubt that.

It might mess with your acoustic, I don't know I only use electric with my ax8.
I only heard a very slight difference if any after cutting those bands as well as the lowest band. I also have a substantial high cut in my cab block. I'm not missing any presence, especially at high volume, but if I was I bet I could bring it back in the cab block without messing with the global eq again.

Yes, and it's an essential part of my sound, so I don't want to turn it off..
It's a gain staging issue.
Please turn the compressor off at least for testing and tell us your experience!

Would you just share your preset? :D at least a screenshot of your comp and drive block?

Ok, I've tested with different guitars now, and it seems it's only a substantial problem with one of my guitars; a "parts-o-caster" with Wilkinson "vintage" alnico single-coils. I tried all the above solutions with this guitar, but none of them actually seemed to help very much. So it must be a case of bad pickup shielding or something. BUT I want to point out that I've played this guitar loud and live several times without similar issues (apart from the regular single-coil hum..), using regular combos AND also the Axe-Fx Ultra/II.. So based on this, it seems the AX8 is more "sensitive"..? It's sad that I cannot use one of my favourite strats with the AX8 in a band setting (at least not without doing something with the pickups), but luckily I have a few other guitars I can use instead..

Last edited:
If the problem is worse when the monitor sits behind you, then reversing the phase of the output you are using to feed it could help. I don't know if the XA8 can do that.

Ok, I've tested with different guitars now, and it seems it's only a substantial problem with one of my guitars; a "parts-o-caster" with Wilkinson "vintage" alnico single-coils. I tried all the above solutions with this guitar, but none of them actually seemed to help very much. So it must be a case of bad pickup shielding or something. BUT I want to point out that I've played this guitar loud and live several times without similar issues (apart from the regular single-coil hum..), using regular combos AND also the Axe-Fx Ultra/II.. So based on this, it seems the AX8 is more "sensitive"..? It's sad that I cannot use one of my favourite strats with the AX8 in a band setting (at least not without doing something with the pickups), but luckily I have a few other guitars I can use instead..

Usual drive pedals are kinds of treble boosters, some boost the highs extremly but you don't hear extreme highs becausr they get filtered out by the guitarcab/ cabblock. But the amp gets these highs, so these highs have higher amounts of gain.

Back
Top Bottom