Spring reverb mix behavior question

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Im noticing when using a spring reverb in series (post amp) that the effect sounds really overpowering, with lots of ‘drip’ even with pretty low mix percentages. I’ll actually lower the mix to like 3-5% and it still sounds pretty wet.

With other reverb types I might run it more like 15-20% for typical usage and maybe even 30% or more If I want a really apparent reverberation effect.

Anyone find similar using the spring settings?

Also curious, is the differences in “drip” with the number of springs and 5 having less of a significant drip sound with percussive attack on the strings. I’m guessing this matches up with hardware units but it certainly does change the tone a bit.

Last edited:
May not make a difference, but I was pretty sure that when running in parallel, you should set the Mix to 100% and use Input Gain to control the Mix.

Whoops, meant series. I normally will do parallel when creating patches but I’ve just been playing around with the stock preset chains where it’s all in series.

Spring reverb has a unique character that stands out. A little non-spring reverb can sound so natural that it just sounds like the room itself. Spring reverb — not so subtle.

Stand out it certainly does! As I said, I’m dialing the mix to like 3%, which with other effects would hardly be audible.

Obviously the mix knob isn’t 1:1, but with most combo amps with real tanks I’d often have the reverb set to around 4-5, just for a nice taste of reverb without going full surf.

There is certainly even fine control that it’s not an issue, as I can find what I want between 3-5%, but it certainly feels like a very non-linear mix behavior

3% is pretty subtle, even with spring reverb. Maybe there's another setting that's throwing it off.

Try present 3, the deluxe reverb model. It defaults to medium spring reverb. I find the reverb pretty apparent even with the mix at just 3%, by 10% mix it sounds as surf-y as my DRRI nearly on 10, and I don’t even find the sound really usable past say 25%

Now page over and select a different reverb type, say up one to medium plate. At 5% mix I can’t really tell it apart from the bypass. I can go 25, even 50% mix and it still sounds great.

I just feel like something isn’t quite right where 3% mix of one reverb sounds as wet as about 25% mix of another

Try present 3, the deluxe reverb model. It defaults to medium spring reverb. I find the reverb pretty apparent even with the mix at just 3%, by 10% mix it sounds as surf-y as my DRRI nearly on 10, and I don’t even find the sound really usable past say 25%

Now page over and select a different reverb type, say up one to medium plate. At 5% mix I can’t really tell it apart from the bypass. I can go 25, even 50% mix and it still sounds great.

I just feel like something isn’t quite right where 3% mix of one reverb sounds as wet as about 25% mix of another
In preset 3, the reverb time is 2.5 seconds. Listen to that. Then switch to the Medium Plate reverb — and increase its reverb time to 2.5 seconds. Not so different anymore. :)

I adjusted it down to around 1 second though (don’t know why so many default to such a long time setting) and still everything else seems to hold true. The mix percentage just seems to behave very differently for the spring reverb than other types, even when all the other parameters are set the same

I adjusted it down to around 1 second though (don’t know why so many default to such a long time setting) and still everything else seems to hold true. The mix percentage just seems to behave very differently for the spring reverb than other types, even when all the other parameters are set the same
It's the wacky modulation that spring reverb provides. Watch the VU meter, and you'll see that both types decay at the same rate.

I don’t have the III, so I don’t know if there is a difference, however, on the II, the Small Spring has the most spring’ey clangey sound, then the Medium and then the large. And if you adjust the size parameter that will increase or decrease the time between those spring clangs.
One thing I’ve been doing is using the Small Spring and adding in some Pre-Delay and accounting for that time in with the actual reverberation time. I’ll bring it up as high as 80ms. It’d be cool if there were a way to control how it swells in sort of speak, instead of just pre delaying it.

Back
Top Bottom