Splitting hairs on this one probably…

GuyJames

Inspired
Right now I’m running the Polytune as my input and using as a buffer which passes through the frequout which is true bypass on the setting I have going. Do I need to change the fm9 input impedance or anything?

Attachments

• 43ABC944-0A1F-4D7D-ADDC-4F5BC829D1F1.jpeg
    43ABC944-0A1F-4D7D-ADDC-4F5BC829D1F1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
What @Rex said. The Polytune and Freqout are instrument/line inputs; no need to change input impedance, since your guitar cable is also considered instrument/line input. Different case might be a ¼" TRS cable, thought the FM9 input 1 jack accepts instrument/line-in TS only, IIRC...? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

why would a TRS be used?
Just spitballing...not sure why, a stereo guitar input wired into a TRS cable? Some guys use their PRS HB II Piezo guitars with stereo A/B > Y cable, this might be the only instance I can think of...

Just spitballing...not sure why, a stereo guitar input wired into a TRS cable? Some guys use their PRS HB II Piezo guitars with stereo A/B > Y cable, this might be the only instance I can think of...
Input 1 is mono so this wouldn’t work. Most piezo guitars have 2 separate mono cable outputs, or a TRS output at the guitar and a Ycable that splits those 2 signals to mono TS cables, using 2 separate mono inputs on the axe.

Input 1 is mono so this wouldn’t work. Most piezo guitars have 2 separate mono cable outputs, or a TRS output at the guitar and a Ycable that splits those 2 signals to mono TS cables, using 2 separate mono inputs on the axe.
That's what I'd originally thought, but was using the TRS A/B>Y cable as an illustration...the PRS HBII Piezo has two mono instrument outputs but I'd wondered if you could use a A/B TS > Y TRS cable for a stereo input. Doesn't matter, the FM9 input 1 jack is ¼" TS mono anyway...you'd likely need a dual ¼" TS to dual ¼" TS cable to simplify the usual cable tangles with two separate instrument cables...ProCo makes some, though I might prefer higher quality cable...

Thanks guys, I have one last alternate question. I’d like to switch the positions of the tuner and freqout because at the moment I have to step over the tuner to press the freqout on and I’m doing I’ve it the tuner with my heel and muted my signal. I wish the tc could have its mute function bypassed.

Since the freqout is in a true bypass setting I understand it’s best practice to have a buffer at the beginning of the chain but doesn’t it just get buffered right after with the tuner in this case?

You don't need an additional buffer in front of the FM9. You might consider putting the tuner on output 2 or 3 and shunt that directly off input 1. That way the tuner is always getting a signal and can never mute your signal.

In this case, switching positions of the Freq Out and Tuner still makes sense as it would make the Freq Out easier to access and you'd never need to turn the tuner off.

So guitar into Freq Out into FM9 input 1. Doesn't matter if Freq Out is true bypass or buffered.

Edit: Freq Out into Tuner into FM9 will also work just fine.

Thanks guys, I have one last alternate question. I’d like to switch the positions of the tuner and freqout because at the moment I have to step over the tuner to press the freqout on and I’m doing I’ve it the tuner with my heel and muted my signal. I wish the tc could have its mute function bypassed.

Since the freqout is in a true bypass setting I understand it’s best practice to have a buffer at the beginning of the chain but doesn’t it just get buffered right after with the tuner in this case?
Both of those pedals are true bypass. So when both pedals are bypassed, there will be no buffer involved. Use a buffer only if you want/need one. With a buffer involved, the setting of of the FM9’s input impedance will be irrelevant.

Both of those pedals are true bypass. So when both pedals are bypassed, there will be no buffer involved. Use a buffer only if you want/need one. With a buffer involved, the setting of of the FM9’s input impedance will be irrelevant.
Again though, I don't think you need to have an input buffer before the FM9 right? I could be wrong. What would be the advantage of having a buffer before the FM9 input?

Again though, I don't think you need to have an input buffer before the FM9 right? I could be wrong. What would be the advantage of having a buffer before the FM9 input?
If there’s a bunch of stuff to drive before the FM9, then a buffer might be helpful. If it’s just a couple of true-bypass pedals, then there’s not much point.

It doesn't matter. Anyone using a wireless or active pickups is already sending a buffered signal into the FM9. A pedal shouldn't be any different. Since the input impedance setting is a model it should sound like it's designed to sound. In other words, it won't be affected by a buffered signal.

Since the input impedance setting is a model it should sound like it's designed to sound. In other words, it won't be affected by a buffered signal.
Not sure what you're saying here. If you're running passive pickups, the modeled Input Impedance will affect the sound. But if your signal is buffered, the Input Impedance setting will not have any significant effect.

It doesn't matter. Anyone using a wireless or active pickups is already sending a buffered signal into the FM9. A pedal shouldn't be any different. Since the input impedance setting is a model it should sound like it's designed to sound. In other words, it won't be affected by a buffered signal.
The input impedance is NOT modeled... It's a network of physical components.

Not sure what you're saying here. If you're running passive pickups, the modeled Input Impedance will affect the sound. But if your signal is buffered, the Input Impedance setting will not have any significant effect.
Hmm, I’m using a wireless and changed the input impedance on a preset with a fuzz. There were clear differences in the sound even with the buffered signal.

Back
Top Bottom