SPL 2Control (Awesome Alongside the Axe-FX!)

Raven

63516_l.jpg

Well, my Ultra arrived last week & I'm LOVING it ...no regrets at all selling off my Bogner rig, got my main patch dialled in in no time at all! Anyway, I also got an SPL 2Control to use with it & I think it's pretty much proven to be the ultimate accessory for the Axe & I thought you guy's might be interested to hear about it. It's basically a clean monitor controller that doesn't affect the sound at all. The beauty of it is that it has 2 headphone outputs with independent volume controls & it also has Crossfeed for the headphones so that you can simulate listening to monitors even when using headphones. It has 2 sets of inputs on the back, 2 sets of stereo outs & 1 mono out (ideal for connecting both Studio monitors & an Atomic Wedge or the like perhaps?) & you can toggle between the various inputs & outputs using the controls on the front. ....thusfar it's proven to be an essential part of my rig when using the Axe at home. I strongly urge you guys to check it out, far better than completely colouring your sound by running through a Mackie mixer or the like (the last thing you want to do is colour the crap out of the sound just for the option of using headphones).

Looks awesome....but $700 for headphone monitoring? That's a tough spend....

Hehe, point taken. I'm based in the UK though & as they're a European company it's not as expensive over here (you'd pay similar money for a Mackie Mixer). I'm going to be using it as a central monitoring system for my DAW as well, so it's going to get a lot of use. However, even if it was just purely for the Axe, I still think it would be worth it in the long run. If you've dropped £2k on an Ultra, then I wouldn't imagine you'd want to scrimp on the monitoring side of things & sacrifice the quality of sound (Why invest in expensive FRFR moniotrs if you're colouring the sound before you even hit them). I also think the big old Volume knob is handy, as there's no way of controlling overall output volume from the Axe without affecting the output levels from the DA converter.

Interesting feature you mentioned: the crossfeed!

Makes you wonder how that would feel/sound like when using it with a IEM system with both all bandmates and yourself as sources into it?

/Mike

Yep, it'd be great with in-ear monitors I'm sure, the crossfeed feature is awesome. You can tweak it to replicate your usual positioning of monitors, everything from a full 180 degree pan right through to bang smack in front of you. The company that makes it also make high-end headphone amps for top studios that go for over £1000, so they really do know what they're doing! From that point of view getting an SPL unit with 2 headphone amps & a monitor controller with 3 sets of outputs all in the same box at just shy of £400 is a pretty good bargain. ....I've certainly been really impressed with it anyhow & as soon as my Adam A7X's arrive to attach to the other end of it I'll be a very happy camper! :)

It seems to have the perfect features. However I wonder why they would put it in a box that you cant rackmount

Penge said:
It seems to have the perfect features. However I wonder why they would put it in a box that you cant rackmount
Not sure, just did a quick search on Digital Village & none of the monitor controllers inside of £400 seem to be rackmountable, so maybe it's to keep costs down? Doesn't bother me too much though as I don't intend to take it out on the road with me, I'm only going to be using it at as a part of my home studio setup. If you did want to pop it in a rack though, then I guess you could always get a Quik-Lok rack shelf or something...

Back
Top Bottom