Spillover, LFO's and Delay observations

MicFarlow

Experienced
Vendor
Hi All,

I got my Ultra on Monday and have been doing my fair share of tweaking since then, though mostly observing how all the factory presets are built and how all the little pieces work... it's been an awesome ride so far!

So, some observations:

Take a factory patch like Velvet Sun (#152)

I LOVE that patch as it will work really well for my main reason for getting the Ultra... playing in church.

While going through that patch, I noticed that the Frequency control on the Wah block has an LFO attached to slowly sweep that control. I love that part of it, but it seems that that action (the LFO expressly) will not spill over into another patch that has the same setup. The delay and reverb do of course, but not the LFO. (As a full on test, I made sure Spillover was enabled, copied the patch to the one next to it and disabled the wah... got the reverb and delay as expected, but not the LFO on the wah...)

Which leads me to a question: Has the ability to have the LFO's to spill over been requested as an enhancement or is it not possible for it to happen due to a limitation I am not aware of....

Also, while messing with delay in several patches it seems to me that when you bypass the delay the tails still go on, such that if you re-engage it, those remnant tails are still there as though I never bypassed it. They don't go on pause, they merely finish with the info that was initially supplied to them.

So far, I have not found a way to "empty the delay buffer" as it were when that block is bypassed... either that or I just plain missed it...

Like the LFO spillover... has having a bypass mode such as "empty the delay buffer on bypass" been made as a suggestion for enhancement or been suggested and not feasible for again, some technical reason I am not aware of....

Aside from these two very minor issues, I am over the top happy with my unit.

Thanks all!

Mick

I'm not sure how the LFO behaves when a patch is recalled. The delay and reverb tails can be killed by choosing "Mix = 0%", "Mute FX Out" or "Mute Out" bypass modes. Read the manual for details.

Hey Steadystate,

I don't think I made what I am hearing quite clear enough....

Take any patch with delay, set the repeats to be pretty long. (I have been using the factory patch called Band Delays (#019)

Hit a quick short note and then hit bypass right after the note. Then, a second or two later, hit bypass again to renable the delay block.

Here are my observations on the different bypass modes:

Mute Mix: Mutes the effect but does not empty the tails buffer (I don't know of a better word to call it... :))
Mute FX Out: Mutes effect, but does not empty the tails buffer
Mute Out: Mutes effect but does not empty buffer
Mute FX In: Mutes effect, but tails continue to trail off over anything else going on.
Mute In: Mutes effect, but tails continue to trail off as with Mute FX In.

All these modes make perfect sense... I was just observing that the delay tails continue on in certian cases.

I hope this clears up any confusion from my initial post...

Thanks,

Mick

If you want LFO-controlled wah on spillover repeats you'd have to copy the wah & lfo settings and leave the wah engaged. LFOs maintain their position through preset changes.

There are various ways to avoid the delay trail re-engage thing if it's an issue. Muting the delay input so they trail off naturally, or switching feedback to 0% (buffer silent after 1 repeat's time) and/or switching time to a lower value.

The WAH is AFTER the MULTIDELAY and REVERB in this preset. You'd need the same WAH to be AFTER these blocks in the preset you are changing to for the kind of spillover you are describing.

For the effect of "emptying the tails buffer" as you put it, you could use different effect block instance numbers across preset changes (Example: Delay 1 in the first preset, Delay 2 in the 2nd preset),

OR... more interestingly, you could try to make a "lobotomy" delay that gets its buffer brain fried instantly when you bypass it. Assign a modifier to simultaneously do these things:

- BYPASS the DELAY (mode MUTE OUT)
- Set its INPUT GAIN to 0 (= also MUTE IN)
- Set the FEEDBACK to 0
- Set TIME to something ~very~ short

Haven't tried it but I think it will work if you must have this :)

Sorry Mick, your first post was clear. I just didn't read it carefully enough. Matman's suggestion is a good one.

Thanks Matman and Steadystate... I have not had a chance to really study these observations out due to a very hectic weekend of activities, but I will soon and report back!

Thanks,
Mick

Back
Top Bottom