Specific " Amp HUM " and " Amp RIPPLE " Controls ....... are they there (?)

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

Am curious - are there specific " Amp HUM " and " Amp RIPPLE " Controls somewhere in the settings (?) Are they called something else (?)

Thanks,
Ben

Hi all !

Am curious - are there specific " Amp HUM " and " Amp RIPPLE " Controls somewhere in the settings (?) Are they called something else (?)

Thanks,
Ben
Power supply ripple is modeled, if you have the AC parameter turned on. You can also set the power line frequency.

Power supply ripple is modeled, if you have the AC parameter turned on. You can also set the power line frequency.

Thanks Rex :)

So if I want to "eliminate" all Power Supply Ripple - I presume I "turn off " the AC Parameter (?)

Also not too sure what the " power line frequency " is (?) Is that anything to do with if am using 120v mains or 240v mains (?)

Many thanks,
Ben

Also not too sure what the " power line frequency " is (?) Is that anything to do with if am using 120v mains or 240v mains (?)

Many thanks,
Ben
No, when you have AC power supply selected you can vary the frequency anywhere from 30Hz to 100Hz. Typical values are 60Hz and 50Hz

Thanks Rex :)

So if I want to "eliminate" all Power Supply Ripple - I presume I "turn off " the AC Parameter (?)

Many thanks,
Ben
Amp block > Power Supply > Power Type. You can choose AC or DC.

Yes, setting it to DC will eliminate all ripple.

Power line frequency is the frequency of the electrical power coming into your house. In the US, we have 60 Hz power. Most countries use either 50 Hz or 60 Hz. With the FM3, you can set it wherever you like within a ridiculously wide range.

You can choose DC instead of AC... Not sure how that affects things overall.

From way back in 2013:

...I just finished reworking the power supply modeling. It's now a virtual AC supply (by default, can be set back to DC if desired) and I'm sitting here stunned at the difference this makes. Literally stunned almost to the point of speechless. I always felt that AC supplies were a compromise and if it were cost-effective, manufacturers would use DC supplies so I used a DC supply model in the prior firmware.

Many thanks :)

Ive just been A/B'ing with selecting " DC " [ all Ripple removed ] and I think I prefer it even though its not as "real".

Will come back to it tomorrow with "fresh" ears before "locking-in" preset adjustments:)

Ben
Go with what sounds best to you.

Go with what sounds best to you.

Fresh playing and fresh listening today and I prefer to leave it to AC / Ripple On ....... cant really describe the difference but it just sounds / feels a whisker more "present".

Thanks again to all for your help and info :)

Ben

Back
Top Bottom