Speaker cable from Axe-Fx to power amp?

Hey!

Just wondering if I should use a speaker cable opposed to a regular 1/4in cable going from the output of the Axe-Fx going to the input of my power amp?

Depending on what your amp offers, you could use either a speaker jack or an XLR cable. But AFAIK, an instrument jack is not a good idea.

A poweramp to cab will need a speaker cable. This is not the case since the Axe is not a power amp. Actually in the 4 cable method the 4 cables are instrument cables.

Depending on what your amp offers, you could use either a speaker jack or an XLR cable. But AFAIK, an instrument jack is not a good idea.

The correct answer to Jeremy's question is either a shielded 1/4" instrument/patch or XLR cable.

He should plug into the amp's XLR or 1/4" line inputs. No "speaker jack" is involved here.

this is completely wrong. sorry.

you use a Speaker cable ONLY between a power amp and a raw speaker.

you use a 1/4" Instrument cable or XLR from the Axe to the power amp input.

Speaker cables are for high power applications such as between a power amp and a passive speaker. They use heavy gauge conductors to withstand the higher current flow and are usually not shielded since ambient noise levels are very weak compared to the high power signal they carry.

Instrument and microphone cables are for very low power applications that handle line level signals and smaller. These carry only tiny currents, so they use light gauge conductors for flexibility and lighter weight and are well shielded to help keep out noise that could otherwise interfere with the small signals.

The two are not interchangeable. A high power amplifier can literally melt an instrument cable, and speaker cable could be incredibly noisy if used to carry an instrument or line level signal.

The Axe FX is a preamp, so you should only use shielded instrument or microphone cables with it.

Ok, thanks guys! I have to use a speakon out on my power amp, so that's taken care of. I was just wondering about going to the power amp.

Back
Top Bottom