SPDIF into Apollo Twin X issue?

heanjurrera

So I just upgraded my interface setup, got an Apollo Twin X. The interface works perfectly fine, but I'm not entirely sure what's going on with my routing. I'm trying to achieve setup #5 of GlennO's recording guide since I also record acoustic guitars and vocals, and I'd like to have my interface as my main device.

The routing is as follows:
AxeFX SPDIF out → Coax cable into SPDIF/Toslink converter in → Toslink cable out from converter into Apollo optical In. The Axe FX main input source and Word Clock are both set to SPDIF/AES. The Apollo Console is set to SPDIF, 48k, internal clock. This all results in the "no input clock!" message on the Axe, and I don't get any kind of signal out of the Axe or into the Apollo.

Am I missing something here? The cables are short (1 metre), and unless I goofed something in the routing, I'm guessing it could be the converter being busted.

Anybody got any tips for this?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot of Apollo Console

You do have spdif input to the Axe-FX from the Apollo, right?

I ask because that's an important part of configuration #5. Some Apollo's do have spdif output and some don't. If yours doesn't, you can use configuration #4 instead (if you're on a mac).

Last edited:
You do have spdif input to the Axe-FX from the Apollo, right?

I ask because that's an important part of configuration #5. Some Apollo's do have spdif output and some don't. If yours doesn't, you can use configuration #4 instead (if you're on a mac).
Nope! It only has Optical In. I don’t really need the reamping so I’m approaching this kind of as if it were the FM3 due to that limitation. So the cabling itself shouldn’t be a problem no? Unless one of the cables/converter isn’t working.

In that case, you need to set the Axe-FX as the clock master, not the Apollo. Your problem is you have no clock master at all right now.

i see the problem as this - you have spdif out from the axe, but no spdif in to the axe. you've set the axe input to spdif and so it's not seeing any clock (or signal at all). set the axe input to input 1. you may not even need to change the clock source on the apollo to external. mine works fine without having to do that bit.

i see the problem as this - you have spdif out from the axe, but no spdif in to the axe. you've set the axe input to spdif and so it's not seeing any clock (or signal at all). set the axe input to input 1. you may not even need to change the clock source on the apollo to external. mine works fine without having to do that bit.
It's important that he set the Apollo clock to spdif in (external) and the Axe-FX clock to internal. Setting the clock on both devices to internal may work, but only if you're lucky. It sounds like you've been lucky. So far :).

As I mentioned above, if your audio interface lacks spdif out, I would recommend using configuration #4.

yeah, i'm not sure that's right. i think that's exactly why it's not working. he has no spdif signal going IN to the axe fx, only OUT.

yeah, i'm not sure that's right. i think that's exactly why it's not working. he has no spdif signal going IN to the axe fx, only OUT.
I think you misunderstood what I said. I explained to him above that his problem is that he has no clock master and the solution is to set the Axe-FX to be the master. In other words, set the Axe-FX clock to internal and the Apollo clock to external.

I was only replying to you to explain that it is not good practice to have multiple clock masters, as you suggested. In other words, it is not a good idea to set both the Apollo and the Axe-FX clocks to internal. That might work, but would not be reliable.

sorry, i think we might be talking round in circles! i'll step out and hopefully the OP can get it working

i use my axe fx exactly like this - spdif into converter box into toslink input on the apollo. my digital input source is set to usb. clock is seet to internal, because if i set it to spdif, it says "no clock". i can set the clock on the apollo to external and get a lock, but i never seem to have to, for some reason. it works just fine if i forget to do it.

btw, the spdif > toslink converter only works one way

Last edited:
hey guys, thanks for your answers!
Yeah I was just thinking about this more this morning (as I had spent hours last night trying to figure this out) and yeah it seems like what's missing, provided the converters and cables aren't broken, is some way to route the Hi-Z to the AxeFX somehow. I can't seem to find any way to do this in the Apollo Console though.

@simeon could you perhaps share the routing settings you're using on Console? I'm not entirely sure I tried the approach you describe yet, but I will definitely look into it later today when I get the chance.

@GlennO aha - I'll give it a try by setting the Axe as the clock master, I don't believe I tried this yet

again, thanks guys!

i don't know why you would want to route the HI-Z input to the axe fx and i'm not sure there's any way to do it. in fact i'm pretty positive there's no way to do it. the apollo kinda doesn't work like that. plug straight into the front of the axe.
i have 2 virtual outputs set up in console. one for system and one for logic so they're on separate volume controls. i have a midi fighter twister set up with all the volume faders for console and some of the plugin parameters, input levels etc all mapped to the knobs and buttons.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.54.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.54.48.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.54.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.54.53.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.56.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 09.56.06.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 14
thanks for clarifying simeon!
Aha I see, so you're plugging directly into the Axe instead of the Apollo. Do you need DIs at all in your workflow, and if so, are you able to get DI tracks with your setup? Off the top of my head I guess one way to do it is by setting up the patches in a way so e.g. L is wet and R is dry correct?

The main thing I wanted to accomplish with plugging into the Apollo was to get the DI from there, plus the wet signal from the Axe; but I'm not entirely sure that's possible now with this setup - though I haven't tried using aggregate devices yet.

i don't need any di's in my workflow. if i did, i'd just record via the USB, which is what it's for. and you should use it too. you can make an aggregate device with the axe and the apollo if you want and have all the ins and outs at your fingertips. my advice - don't try and work around what's been designed to do what you want, just use it and be happy.

The main thing I wanted to accomplish with plugging into the Apollo was to get the DI from there, plus the wet signal from the Axe; but I'm not entirely sure that's possible now with this setup - though I haven't tried using aggregate devices yet.
That's why the configurations are ordered the way they are in the recording guide. Try to use #4 first. Only move past that and use #5 if you can't use aggregates, for example if you're using a Windows PC. However, for #5, your audio interface will need spdif output or a way to route the HiZ input to an analog output.

If your audio interface doesn't allow you to use #4 or #5, that means your interface isn't the right one to use for what you're trying to do and you'll have to give up on reamping digitally and reamp via analog. That's a bit of a pain, so you'd probably be better off giving up on reamping, or switch to using your Axe-FX as your audio interface when recording guitar....or just get an audio interface that does have spdif output.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Im having similar problem with a different interface.
I have my axe 2 connected to an ad/da converter via 75ohm RCA cables, which are connected via Toslink to my Audient ID14.
I tried to set Axe as a master, then ID14 as a master, but there is still no sync. Interface optical input meter is hovering around -30dB, but that is not a signal from my guitar, just a random noise.
USB/DIGI OUT is set to Input.
I do not even wish to reamp, just to record my DI signal along with wet signal.
Can anyone please advise what settings should I check and adjust?

Many thanks,
Jakub

Hello all,
Im having similar problem with a different interface.
I have my axe 2 connected to an ad/da converter via 75ohm RCA cables, which are connected via Toslink to my Audient ID14.
I tried to set Axe as a master, then ID14 as a master, but there is still no sync. Interface optical input meter is hovering around -30dB, but that is not a signal from my guitar, just a random noise.
USB/DIGI OUT is set to Input.
I do not even wish to reamp, just to record my DI signal along with wet signal.
Can anyone please advise what settings should I check and adjust?

Many thanks,
Jakub

There shouldn't be any need for ad/da and that's probably the source of your clock problem. Use a toslink adapter instead. But if you're asking for instructions on how to use an aggregate with configuration #4, you'll find details in the recording guide. For an Axe-FX II, use the usb channels mentioned in the FM3 instructions.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Thanks, I have read the suggested article. However, that would require additional cables from axe to my monitors, which I don’t have now. I still need to use my interface as my main audio device, and switching cables everytime is kind of dumb.
I have found a way to record wet and di signal simultaneously by setting my presets outputs. First grid row with amp and fx output is panned hard left and the second is shunted from input to output and then panned hard right.

Thanks, I have read the suggested article. However, that would require additional cables from axe to my monitors, which I don’t have now. I still need to use my interface as my main audio device, and switching cables everytime is kind of dumb.
I have found a way to record wet and di signal simultaneously by setting my presets outputs. First grid row with amp and fx output is panned hard left and the second is shunted from input to output and then panned hard right.
If you take a look a the diagrams for configurations #4 and #5, there are no cables going from the Axe-FX to the studio monitors. None of the configurations in the recording guide require switching cables. I would recommend starting with the simpler configurations like #1 or #2. See the note at the end of #2 about a variation that uses an audio interface. That might be the best option for you.

Back
Top Bottom