SPDIF cable

ak301

Power User
Can someone in the UK post a link to the right sort of cable for connecting the AX8 up to my Scarlett 2pre by SPDIF, particularly off of Amazon

I've ordered a couple of different ones and I'm clearly missing something as the connection is fine on the Scarlett but wrong for the AX8, I appreciate this is pretty basic but I'm a bit stuck

Basically any 75 Ohm cable will fit, even TV antenna cable with RCA connectors.
As it is digital no signal degradation should occur within reasonable length (below 3 meters).

Go to Amazon and try SPDIF cable - look for NO toshlink optical, look for RCA type (kind of audio video connector in old TV's)

The other issue may be is that frequency on AX8 side is fixed to 48kHz so sound card may no recognise it automatically. Try to set it fixed for Scarlet.

Can someone in the UK post a link to the right sort of cable for connecting the AX8 up to my Scarlett 2pre by SPDIF, particularly off of Amazon

I've ordered a couple of different ones and I'm clearly missing something as the connection is fine on the Scarlett but wrong for the AX8, I appreciate this is pretty basic but I'm a bit stuck
Can you be less vague, please? What is "wrong for the AX8" mean? If the physical connection is different from Scarlett( I don't know the unit) , it is not coax SPDIF. it the Scarlett is optical, you need an adaptor....sorry for some reason that only @iaresee
Can correct I think, I cannot at this time paste the amazon link for this....search toslink to coax)
If both are coax, as above, make sure the Scarlett is set to 48k.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the Clarett 2pre, it has optical ADAT I/O, not an optical SPDIF Input. It doesn't support SPDIF over optical. You can't use a cable to convert coaxial SPDIF to optical ADAT. You'd need a hefty digital conversion box.

You'll notice on the Scarlett line of interfaces, there are coaxial SPDIF inputs and outputs.

+1

I have a Scarlett 6i6, its the cheapest in the range that has SPDIF, its coaxial like the Ax8.

If you're talking about the Clarett 2pre, it has optical ADAT I/O, not an optical SPDIF Input. It doesn't support SPDIF over optical. You can't use a cable to convert coaxial SPDIF to optical ADAT. You'd need a hefty digital conversion box.

You'll notice on the Scarlett line of interfaces, there are coaxial SPDIF inputs and outputs.

Ah, right. Got ya

I got a new scarlett dirt cheap in a shop clearance and didnt do my homework enough it seems

No problem as it's a massive improvement on the old one already

Thanks for the replies folks

A s/pidif to optical conversion cable would have worked as well. Probably cheaper than another interface too - that being said it seems like I change interfaces more often than socks. Have fun with your new scarlett!

A s/pidif to optical conversion cable would have worked as well. Probably cheaper than another interface too - that being said it seems like I change interfaces more often than socks. Have fun with your new scarlett!

No, I don't think so (though I could be wrong). SPDIF and ADAT are completely different digital formats. The optical connectors on the Clarett and Scarlett products are only for ADAT/Lightpipe, not TOSLINK/SPDIF. The Saffire range has a software option to change the optical port from ADAT to SPDIF. In the lower market Focusrite gear, SPDIF input is handled by RCA coax connectors instead. The Clarett 2pre manual makes no mention of SPDIF support via the ADAT optical connector. The larger Claretts have SPDIF via coax.

I don't know if it will function with the aforementioned Focusrite interface, but I just wanted to share the adapter I have. I actually previously didn't know the converter existed either. Lightpipe to digital RCA. It does require a DC power adapter, so it isn't that svelte. Someone on this forum had recommended it to me...

Back
Top Bottom