Sounds you can't get?

DreDawgie

What in your view are the weaknesses of the Axe Fx? By that I mean, what sort of pedals have you had a really hard time replicating? Mooger Foogers? Electro Harmonix? Etc.

I have a Deluxe Electric Mistress reissue that I had modded by Howard Davis so it sounds more like the non-deluxe from the 70s. I've tried really hard to get the same sound from the AFXII that I get from that pedal with the color knob turned way down (acts more like a chorus then) but I can never quite get there.

Ehx - Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai and the Cathedral Reverse reverb. There's something about that reverse reverb algo in the cathedral. It's magical. I can't even get my Strymon Big Sky to do what the Cathedral Reverse reverb does.

And although there's a hold function on the delays and reverbs in the Axe, I still love my ehx Freeze much better (feels more natural to use).

Y'know, just today I realized I can't really simulate the "tone suck" of an old wah pedal on bypass. I wondered if that might help me to cop the "Randy Rhoads Tribute" tone... :D

The fuzz models are lacking authenticity, IMHO.

I'm not too shocked by this. Most popular fuzz pedals use germanium transistor and/or diodes and those thing are stupid sensitive to temperature and voltage, which I believe (completely uneducated view) would make them difficult as hell to model.

Also they are affected by the Axe Fx input design. With the analog pedals your pickup's reactance effects the circuit. It would take a pretty clever circuit design to work that around A/D conversion, if it would even be possible at all.

The knopfler drive tones (brothers in arms, money for notning etc) is hard to dial in....close but then again notning more than that. According to the amp and cabs available it should be a possible.
The clean Knopfler tones are stellar....

Boss HM-2. There was a stack of guys asking for it at one point.
Someone even went so far as to give cliff the pedal at one of the fractal events (last year?).

Cliff said it was gonna happen but it never did. I ended up having to buy one to put in the effects loop.

Tempo synced EDM stuff! Let have tempt-syced rates assignable to modifiers. I want to be able to do this sort of thing:

Also really lacking on the beat sync / midi clock sync department (i.e. syncing modulation to the downbeat).
Its all about making new sounds, I don't care much for replicating...
:)

A nice tight, heavy rock/metal rhythm tone without having to put a Drive block in front of the Amp block. I've heard plenty of other Axe users achieve it, but all I get is a bland, weak, flubby tone when it's just an Amp & Cab block, even when trying those Axe user's patches.

I haven't been able to get that EVH type Doppler effect like at the end of Eruption, where he turns the knob on the delay and it sort of sound like a super low whammy drop. I don't know if it's because the effect is resampling as you change it with the expression pedal or if I'm just tying it to the wrong parameter but it doesn't sound right, it comes out as more of a high frequency squeal.

Amps:
Gallien-Kruger RB series - nope, no way, no how
Ashdown ABM or MAG - again, nope
Anything SWR - some times you can get close, but only about 80% of the way there
Eden "World Traveler" rigs - another large hole

FX:
Any of the DarkGlass, but most especially B3K, B7K, Super Symmetry, VMT
Mutron iii
MXR Script Phase 90 -- there's certainly close, but the MXR brings something special
Malekko B:Assmaster or Way Huge Pickle (tying into the earlier discussion about the lackluster fuzz offerings)
Any good octave pedal (Digitech Drop, or OC-2)
EHX Bassballs
Ringmod - Dr. Scientist BitQuest is a GREAT one
Bitcrushing - Dr. Scientist BitQuest is actually great at this as well!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, without being in front of my pedalboard and Axe-Fx II/AX8 setups :p

Boss HM-2. There was a stack of guys asking for it at one point.
Someone even went so far as to give cliff the pedal at one of the fractal events (last year?).

Cliff said it was gonna happen but it never did. I ended up having to buy one to put in the effects loop.
Have you seen this?

I haven't been able to get that EVH type Doppler effect like at the end of Eruption, where he turns the knob on the delay and it sort of sound like a super low whammy drop. I don't know if it's because the effect is resampling as you change it with the expression pedal or if I'm just tying it to the wrong parameter but it doesn't sound right, it comes out as more of a high frequency squeal.

Use mono tape delay, tie expression to motor speed and drop it by half. Tweak the damping to taste.

A nice tight, heavy rock/metal rhythm tone without having to put a Drive block in front of the Amp block. I've heard plenty of other Axe users achieve it, but all I get is a bland, weak, flubby tone when it's just an Amp & Cab block, even when trying those Axe user's patches.

what size picks do you use? with thicker ones I end up with a very chunky sound that is harder to get tight sounding. if I switch to a .73 then it becomes super tight sounding very effortlessly. when using a thicker pick the chunkier sounding low end will compound with any guitars I have in drop tuning with larger string gauges. jazz III xl .73 is what I've come to be quite happy with

With the analog pedals your pickup's reactance effects the circuit. It would take a pretty clever circuit design to work that around A/D conversion, if it would even be possible at all.
That clever circuit design is already in there. Check out the Input Impedance parameter.

Back
Top Bottom