Sounds boxy

316ms

Inspired
Can anyone see anything that jumps out, I am using a matrix 1000gt/2x12 cab. Amp modeling on cab modeling off, I cant seem to dial out , what I hear as a boxy perhaps slightly muffled tone. Many Thanks

Attachments

• Skull Crusher_20220312_183234.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 23
Curious why I could not so much as get a reply on this? I see people.posting looking for help and suggestions, that is what I am hoping for. Perhaps I did something wrong?

Hi, more information would help us help you. Could you perhaps edit your first post to include information such as your guitar, pickups, cab, speakers, if this is an issue on any other patch, and so on? That way, anyone who checks out the thread will see at the start the info they may need to assist you.

One other reason is, your preset will sound very different with another guitar; even if I picked up your guitar and played the same thing as you, it would sound different. May be if you posted a recording that captures the boxiness, someone might be able to tell right away why.

If it sounds right with a good headphone on the axefx, use the global EQ to dial things in. First Boost a Freq-Band about 6dB and sweep the frequency range until you hear the bad frequency louder. Now bring this frequency down and adjust Q as desired!

Make sure Output Mode in the Amp block is set to "SS PWR AMP + CAB".
Thanks! Yes I finally found where that was! It's one of the settings in speaker in the amp block or settings in the power amp, sorry my terminology is lacking. Glad I found it tho! Thanknyou

Reactions: J.C
It may be that not everyone is using your actual power amp and cabinet. It's tough to offer opinions without the same set up.

I've found that sometimes increasing highs doesn't work as well as decreasing lows to get a better balance in the tone
Thanks for the reply, yes agreed I was hoping for a reply from someone who actually may be using a ss pa and cab. Its several guitars and the result is pretty much the same. It isnt anything glaring, its sounds decent, I am hopeful for experienced advice. It could be the SS power amp and its authentic application I hear. I would love to be able to a/b this with a tube pA that is dedicated to modelers just to see if what I mentioned is a reality. The pA I'm using bn is quite awesome honestly. I think it can be dialed in even better. Definitely a work in progress. PRS cu24, Les Paul classic. PAF style pickups in both. Cab is a bogner oversized 2x12 w/ V30s. Thanks!!!

One other reason is, your preset will sound very different with another guitar; even if I picked up your guitar and played the same thing as you, it would sound different. May be if you posted a recording that captures the boxiness, someone might be able to tell right away why.
I could, my terminology isnt the greatest. I could tell what I am hearing no matter what guitar or player. It's more to with punch from the pA. Almost hear a slight reverb at times with no reverb on. It's a work in progress, if I posted a clip I dont have a recording interface and I dont think a cell clip is a good enough example and videos add gain and some frequencies due to mic buffering, especially with cell phones. Thank you for the suggestions!!!

Hi, more information would help us help you. Could you perhaps edit your first post to include information such as your guitar, pickups, cab, speakers, if this is an issue on any other patch, and so on? That way, anyone who checks out the thread will see at the start the info they may need to assist you.
Thanks AndrewJay, it's more of a dynamic I cant seem to dial out or dial in. PRS, matrix1000, bogner 2x12 w/ v30s. This patch is one I like and would like to go from there, it's safe to say I could just use another patch, scene but then I am not dialing out or in what I'd like to hear. Hopeful its something simple or perhaps nothing and over analyzing, I think it sounds good! Just looking for more low end punch, not necessarily bass or resonance. Was hoping someone downloaded the file and heard something that could be of help to add or leave out or adjust

Thanks AndrewJay, it's more of a dynamic I cant seem to dial out or dial in. PRS, matrix1000, bogner 2x12 w/ v30s. This patch is one I like and would like to go from there, it's safe to say I could just use another patch, scene but then I am not dialing out or in what I'd like to hear. Hopeful its something simple or perhaps nothing and over analyzing, I think it sounds good! Just looking for more low end punch, not necessarily bass or resonance. Was hoping someone downloaded the file and heard something that could be of help to add or leave out or adjust
I have been playing around with running a signal to FOH from output 1 and running another signal just before the cab block to output 2 - which goes to my power amp and cabs. I use 2 MESA 2x12 cabs with V -30s. One is a vertical cab, the other is a compact cab. I have 2 power amps - a syn 50/50 & Matrix GT1000. Initially I ran 2 separate signal chains so I could control all of the amp settings independent from each other. This worked very well, but made building patches cumbersome. I ended up using a single amp and placed a PEQ block before out 2 to the cabs. Leon Todd and others have shared this on the forum. This has worked out very well. The PEQ block is an incredible tool to add / subtract frequencies. I know feel like my power amp and cab patches feel better than before. I also try to match the impedance curve when possible to my real cabs. Sometimes this doesn't work as well as I'm using a single amp in the chain for FOH and Real cab. I highly recommend becoming familiar with the PEQ black to get rid of the "boxy " sound, as well as bump up where you want more fullness.

I have been playing around with running a signal to FOH from output 1 and running another signal just before the cab block to output 2 - which goes to my power amp and cabs. I use 2 MESA 2x12 cabs with V -30s. One is a vertical cab, the other is a compact cab. I have 2 power amps - a syn 50/50 & Matrix GT1000. Initially I ran 2 separate signal chains so I could control all of the amp settings independent from each other. This worked very well, but made building patches cumbersome. I ended up using a single amp and placed a PEQ block before out 2 to the cabs. Leon Todd and others have shared this on the forum. This has worked out very well. The PEQ block is an incredible tool to add / subtract frequencies. I know feel like my power amp and cab patches feel better than before. I also try to match the impedance curve when possible to my real cabs. Sometimes this doesn't work as well as I'm using a single amp in the chain for FOH and Real cab. I highly recommend becoming familiar with the PEQ black to get rid of the "boxy " sound, as well as bump up where you want more fullness.
Thank you! Definitely going to give this a try. I put a graphic eq as last before the output block and that definitely helped. Will try the P EQ , could be the answer. Thank You! I'll check Leon's video as well

Wondering about the syn 5050, that's one I wanted to check out with the axe. Unlike a PS100 or PS, the syn5050 could have options with the modules as well, I know the fryette gear is superb, I just do not need an attenuator, so it would not make sense and seems like I'd be not using it for one of it's best features. The syn5050 or LX seem more appropriate for a pA.

I need that on a Poster and a T-shirt!!! :)
Maybe you and Mr can create a thread for that instead of hi jacking this one? Most helpful thanks, hopefully you wont think I am being short or snarky, not trying or wanting to be. It's more worthy and useful when a thread stays on topic. I hope you do not find my request unreasonable, boring perhaps, sorry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom