Sorry about the rookie question but...

chopshop777

Inspired
The fractal audio axe fx ultra is a preamp, so this means you can hook up your guitar cabinet alone to it and work with it that way am I not correct ?
Cheers
Ed

Yes - if you download the manual from the website, you will see diagrams of a number of configurations for how the Axe-Fx can be run...

BTW...welcome

chopshop777 said:
The fractal audio axe fx ultra is a preamp, so this means you can hook up your guitar cabinet alone to it and work with it that way am I not correct ?
Cheers
Ed

You need a power amp. The Axe-FX does have a power amp inside it to power your speaker cab.

Scott Peterson said:
chopshop777 said:
Cheers
Ed

You need a power amp. The Axe-FX does have a power amp inside it to power your speaker cab.

Oh I see, thank you very much for your help. so you just hook up your whole amp to the Axe Fx then huh ?
Cheers
Ed

Hi chopshop777

No need to be sorry. Good on you for asking the question. I'll try and clear it up for you.

What you need in order of signal chain:
1. Guitar
2. Guitar Lead
3. Axe-FX (use front input)
4. XLR (microphone cable) from Axe-FX output 1
5. XLR cable to mixing desk
6. Mixing Desk to full range PA speakers
7. Midi pedal board to switch Axe-FX
8. Expression pedal for Wah/Whammy/Expression duties.

If you want to hook it up to your guitar amplifier, then you can from step 4 but plug it into the effects loop return of your amp. If you don't have an effects loop return, then you won't be getting the full benefit of the Axe-FX amp modelling. It won't sound very good. SO - use a special amp like the ART SLA2 to power your speaker cabinet from the Axe-FX.

Hope that helps

TimmyM

TimmyM said:
Hi chopshop777

No need to be sorry. Good on you for asking the question. I'll try and clear it up for you.

1. Guitar
2. Guitar Lead

If you want to hook it up to your guitar amplifier, then you can from step 4 but plug it into the effects loop return of your amp. If you don't have an effects loop return, then you won't be getting the full benefit of the Axe-FX amp modelling. It won't sound very good. SO - use a special amp like the ART SLA2 to power your speaker cabinet from the Axe-FX.

Hope that helps

TimmyM

Just one point on good job tim, 5 to desk- jack to line-in socket, xlr is for mic input and can
in worst-case send 48v phantom power back to axe' :shock: and will if not well padded over-drive input sounding harsh .

Scott Peterson said:
chopshop777 said:
Cheers
Ed

I'm guessing this is just a typo, but the AxeFX does NOT have a power amp, you need to get one OR a FRFR powered speaker OR you can hook the Axe to your favorite amp OR you can go right into the mixer.

Is this guy for real? In the other thread he was asking how to change presets?

If you don't know that a pre-amp needs a power amp to drive a guitar cab... Or how to change presets on a multi-effect? Or that you might need to look at the manual when trying to operate a complex machine like the Axe-FX?

My sincerest apologies if you are for real, we've had a couple of trolls here. Still, if these things trouble you already I'm thinking a satisfying experience with the Axe-FX is a long and winding road of education away...

Dutch said:
Is this guy for real? In the other thread he was asking how to change presets?

If you don't know that a pre-amp needs a power amp to drive a guitar cab... Or how to change presets on a multi-effect? Or that you might need to look at the manual when trying to operate a complex machine like the Axe-FX?

My sincerest apologies if you are for real, we've had a couple of trolls here. Still, if these things trouble you already I'm thinking a satisfying experience with the Axe-FX is a long and winding road of education away...

+1

angello120 said:
TimmyM said:
Hi chopshop777

1. Guitar
2. Guitar Lead

Hope that helps

TimmyM

Just one point on good job tim, 5 to desk- jack to line-in socket, xlr is for mic input and can
in worst-case send 48v phantom power back to axe' :shock: and will if not well padded over-drive input sounding harsh .

IIRC, the AFX can deal with phantom power if it's on on the input of whatever the output plugs into.

I offer my apology to chopshop777 for my previous contribution to this thread. I regret having made fun of him and inciting any ridicule from others.

Even if chopshop777 might not be serious in his pursuit, my reaction was uncalled for and I have no excuse for my behaviour.

I will repeat this in the other thread.

Dutch said:
I offer my apology to chopshop777 for my previous contribution to this thread. I regret having made fun of him and inciting any ridicule from others.

Even if chopshop777 might not be serious in his pursuit, my reaction was uncalled for and I have no excuse for my behaviour.

I will repeat this in the other thread.

Very mature posting. Kudos.

Back
Top Bottom