Songs that age well

+1 on Steely Dan and Queen. Both bands I didn't really appreciate when I was younger. Never liked Fagan's voice. As I've aged I've come to appreciate just how good they both are. Took longer with Steely Dan than Queen though.

MM

I was out doing some projects around the house today, had the radio cranked (do people still listen to the radio?) and 'Mr. Jones' by Counting Crows came on. This came out in 1993 and still sounds awesome today.

The entire Zappa, Hendrix and Zeppelin catalogue.
I struggle with the Hendrix, LedZep stuff now though I've always been a huge fan. That music is timeless in the sense that I think someone who is totally unfamiliar could listen to it today and say "wow", but for myself, I've heard so much of it so many times that it's become somehow stale and faded for me. Took me a while to find an LZ song off the first 2 albums for the 60s post above that still sounded interesting to me. I guess it depends too on what's happened over the years to one's musical taste. Most of the Rush catalogue and the Black Sabbath catalogue up to Mob Rules still sounds great to me and I listen to all of that often, but it's rare I'll sit and listen to LZ much - I think over the years, my tastes changed to heavier rock / heavy prog / early Metal, so I have less interest now in the more blues based stuff that comes thru in LZ. In the early 70s Metal was not a term I heard a lot, if at all - at the time LZ was "Metal" to my mind given the small record collection I had, though I could hear those strong LZ references back to very old blues music that I was not really a fan of. Had I invested in a few Black Sabbath LPs at the time, I'd likely have "switched over" to that style more quickly as I feel Black Sabbath really did invent a completely new genre with their first album in 1970 (and mostly sticking to that throughout), where as LZ took older blues and transformed it.

I struggle with the Hendrix, LedZep stuff now though I've always been a huge fan. That music is timeless in the sense that I think someone who is totally unfamiliar could listen to it today and say "wow", but for myself, I've heard so much of it so many times that it's become somehow stale and faded for me. Took me a while to find an LZ song off the first 2 albums for the 60s post above that still sounded interesting to me. I guess it depends too on what's happened over the years to one's musical taste. Most of the Rush catalogue and the Black Sabbath catalogue up to Mob Rules still sounds great to me and I listen to all of that often, but it's rare I'll sit and listen to LZ much - I think over the years, my tastes changed to heavier rock / heavy prog / early Metal, so I have less interest now in the more blues based stuff that comes thru in LZ. In the early 70s Metal was not a term I heard a lot, if at all - at the time LZ was "Metal" to my mind given the small record collection I had, though I could hear those strong LZ references back to very old blues music that I was not really a fan of. Had I invested in a few Black Sabbath LPs at the time, I'd likely have "switched over" to that style more quickly as I feel Black Sabbath really did invent a completely new genre with their first album in 1970 (and mostly sticking to that throughout), where as LZ took older blues and transformed it.
You’re right, should have mentioned Sabbath and Rush as well.
My twelve year old son and his mates are now “discovering” artists like Hendrix and Zep. I hear them blasting ELL and PG and although I know every millisecond of those albums by heart, it doesn’t sound (out)dated to me. (At least) to my ears it all aged very well.
Could be my own quirkiness, but I also think a lot of hairmetal from the 80s still sound effing awesome and therefore well-aged as well.
I like this tread….

Great theme - a lot of this album and the next are timeless for me - I still play this stuff often - sounds as good to me today (better actually) as it did then - still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. What a song!, What a singer!, What a band!

Agreed and fun fact, Dio goes to jam with Tony after meeting at the Rainbow one afternoon and he comes home to Wendy and says, what an opportunity, but I'm not sure I like the music',... She says 'we have 800$ in the bank you BETTER like the music'. :D

Another song that is timeless is Hendrix's version of "All Along The Watchtower". While Dillon's original has the words, Hendrix gave it the body it needed.

Searching through YouTube and looking at covers of it shows some great versions, but I like, and I think Hendrix too, would have liked this most of all…

Back
Top Bottom