Songs that age well

fcs101

Axe-Master
I was listening to Remedy by The Black Crowes recently and I was struck by two things: 1. the song is 30 years old!!! and 2. it still holds up well (at least to me). I think it ages well partly b/c it's not tied to any specific era (it's not trying to hold onto the 80's and definitely not Grunge).

Feel free to post more ageless wonders.

Great theme - a lot of this album and the next are timeless for me - I still play this stuff often - sounds as good to me today (better actually) as it did then - still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. What a song!, What a singer!, What a band!

Despite Queen being one of my favourite bands, I don't think a lot of their stuff has aged that well for me - maybe it's overplay (though not really as I find literally all of the Rush catalogue quite timeless despite many plays) - not sure really what it is, however there are exceptions, most of them on the early Queen albums that introduced me to Queen so so long ago now - here's a gem from Queen II which I find to be one of their most fresh and new sounding albums when listened to now:

Last edited:
I'm thinking some timeless music is no accident - brilliant lyrics, brilliant melody, brilliant production - no wonder it still sounds awesome with a relevant message 5 decades+ later - good night all.

That one aged so well that Scorpions did play a great tribute at the Tokyo Tapes

Last edited:
Despite Queen being one of my favourite bands, I don't think a lot of their stuff has aged that well for me - maybe it's overplay (though not really as I find literally all of the Rush catalogue quite timeless) - not sure really what it is, however there are exceptions, most of them on the early Queen albums that introduced me to Queen so so long ago now - here's a gem from Queen II which I find to be one of their most fresh and new sounding albums when listened to now:

I'd agree with the Queen catalogue. There are a few other exceptions. I think one is (and yes it is probably one, if not THE one, overplayed song of theirs) is 'We Are the Champions' (45 yrs old). Heaven forbid if I try to turn that song off with my kids in the car...it's immediate rebellion!

When I think of songs that age well, I think of how good the recordings sound after they're a few decades (or more) old, and 2 come to mind immediately.

I have a Pandora station that plays 70's music, and when Devil Woman comes on, I swear the production sounds noticeably better than other songs from that decade. I have nice subs in my truck, and the bass is so much better than many other songs, even newer ones.

And pretty much the same things hold true even more so for Roundabout.

Last edited:
When I think of songs that age well, I think of how good the recordings sound after they're a few decades (or more) old, and 2 come to mind immediately.

I have a Pandora station that plays 70's music, and when Devil Woman comes on, I swear the production sounds noticeably better than other songs from that decade. I have nice subs in my truck, and the bass is so much better that many other songs, even newer ones.

And pretty much the same things hold true even more so for Roundabout.

Devil Woman is an all time fav of mine.

Everything Steely Dan / Donald Fagan is timeless for me mainly due to musicianship, production, songwriting, originality ... but my grandkids still tell me to shut off that shit lol! This song is particularly timeless, not only for those reasons, but for the lyrical content imo - a time capsule of commentary about how the wonders of technology will make us free - interesting to think about those words from 40yrs ago (which i believe are referring back to the 50s) in the context of where we are 40yrs later, but still relevant today in terms of dreaming optimistically (maybe naively) about where we'll be 40yrs from now. + the catchy lines I still hear used outside of music ("Spandex Jackets for Everyone"!, "programmed by fellas, with passion and vision"!...).

Still many die hard fans of this stuff, + the millions who don't have a clue who Donald Fagan / Steely Dan is, but who subliminally hum along while these songs play in regular rotation in the background at WalMart.

Last edited:
Everything Steely Dan / Donald Fagan is timeless for me mainly due to musicianship, production, songwriting, originality ... but my grandkids still tell me to shut off that shit lol! This song is particularly timeless, not only for those reasons, but for the lyrical content imo - a time capsule of commentary about how the wonders of technology will make us free - interesting to think about those words from 40yrs ago (which i believe are referring back to the 50s) in the context of where we are 40yrs later, but still relevant today in terms of dreaming optimistically (maybe naively) about where we'll be 40yrs from now. + the catchy lines I still hear used outside of music ("Spandex Jackets for Everyone"!, "programmed by fellas, with passion and vision"!...).

Still many die hard fans of this stuff, + the millions who don't have a clue who Donald Fagan / Steely Dan is, but who subliminally hum along while these songs play in regular rotation in the background at WalMart.

SD was too musically literate for the current generation! :p

I must confess that I'm not a huge fan, but man those guys brought a level of sophistication that was seldom matched.

SD was too musically literate for the current generation! :p

I must confess that I'm not a huge fan, but man those guys brought a level of sophistication that was seldom matched.
I hated Steely Dan for the longest time. And then I heard this:

and started to soften on them. I also think that one aged well.

Back
Top Bottom